How long until the Doherty record is broken?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Hiestand Family from Yorktown. There are 5 brothers. There are 2 of them that have already graduated and have over 200 wins between the 2 of them. One is a sophmore now and should have around 85-90 career wins after this season. There is one in middle school and one in elementary. Think this group will blow the record out of the water.

The Young family from Bloomington had a tremendous run. There were 5 brothers...all did extremely well and ALL wrestled Division 1 in college. I know 1 went to Harvard, 1 at IU, and 1 currently at West Point. I think 1 was at Michagan.  Not sure of the other. (can you imagine the tuition bills, lol).

I believe with the 3 younger ones there were at least 5 state championships between them, and many state placings. I don't know much of the older two.  I'm trying to gather combined high school records for all 5 of them. Should be pretty big. Will let you know more when I get it.

The Welch brothers from Castle were 152-3 just last year

Doug Welch went 185-11 in high school

Chad Welch went 178-14 in high school

Luke Welch 86-12 through his first 2 years... i think this is correct not 100% on Luke's

That would put the 3 brothers at 449-37 right now

365-2 dont know how many the oldest brother had

Michael was 68-22.  Which if the other numbers are correct thus far equals out to a family total of 433-25.  With matches Jason has left they should end up in the top 5 but a few matches shy of cracking to top 3.

From my 2009 stats

The top five brother family and highest over all family was the #1 Doherty's at 539

The top four borther family listed was the #9 Maddox's (Brian, Tony, Scott,Dan) at 412 one spot ahead of the #10 McGinley's (Brian, Jim, Mike, Sean) at 409.

The top three brother family are the #2 Maldonado's (Paul, Tim, Robert) at 475 beating out #6 the Carr's (Darrell, Jason, Kevin) at 447.

The top two brother family is #27 Howe's (Eric, Andrew) at 335 who just edged out the #29 Elkins (Rick, Darren) at 331.

A several other top #10 families had 4, 5 or more members contributing to the list families.

I'm also guessing a few new families have cracked the top 50 the last few years due to the success of younger brothers.

Michael was 68-22.  Which if the other numbers are correct thus far equals out to a family total of 433-25.  With matches Jason has left they should end up in the top 5 but a few matches shy of cracking to top 3.

From my 2009 stats

The top five brother family and highest over all family was the #1 Doherty's at 539

The top four borther family listed was the #9 Maddox's (Brian, Tony, Scott,Dan) at 412 one spot ahead of the #10 McGinley's (Brian, Jim, Mike, Sean) at 409.

The top three brother family are the #2 Maldonado's (Paul, Tim, Robert) at 475 beating out #6 the Carr's (Darrell, Jason, Kevin) at 447.

The top two brother family is #27 Howe's (Eric, Andrew) at 335 who just edged out the #29 Elkins (Rick, Darren) at 331.

A several other top #10 families had 4, 5 or more members contributing to the list families.

I'm also guessing a few new families have cracked the top 50 the last few years due to the success of younger brothers.

The 3 brother family of the Welch's (Chad, Doug, Luke) 449 wins combined not including this year of Luke's... I think that they could be the new number 1 after Luke is done or for sure top 2

The 3 brother family of the Welch's (Chad, Doug, Luke) 449 wins combined not including this year of Luke's... I think that they could be the new number 1 after Luke is done or for sure top 2

For reference the 2009 top 10 are:

539 Doherty's (Jeffersonville)

475 Maldonado's (East Chicago Central)

474 Steinhiser's (Michigan City & Rogers)

458 Hoover's (North Miami)

449 Shepard's (Western)

447 Carr's (Wawasee & Warsaw)

432 Cook's (Seeger)

424 Hernandez's (Hammond Noll & Griffith)

412 Maddox's (Taylor)

409 McGinley's (Indianapolis  Cathedral)

Again a few others may have snuck in or got close in the last few years.

For reference the 2009 top 10 are:

539 Doherty's (Jeffersonville)

475 Maldonado's (East Chicago Central)

474 Steinhiser's (Michigan City & Rogers)

458 Hoover's (North Miami)

449 Shepard's (Western)

447 Carr's (Wawasee & Warsaw)

432 Cook's (Seeger)

424 Hernandez's (Hammond Noll & Griffith)

412 Maddox's (Taylor)

409 McGinley's (Indianapolis  Cathedral)

Again a few others may have snuck in or got close in the last few years.

Are any of these still ongoing or have all graduated

You might be right, I forgot the team state  series, starting with team regional.  So last

year he would have been 45-0, his freshman year he was 45-2 and his 2nd year he was

45-0, which gave him a total of 135-2 going into this year and he is 28-0 this year so his record

is currently 163-2 for his career.sorry for the oversight.

You might be right, I forgot the team state  series, starting with team regional.  So last

year he would have been 45-0, his freshman year he was 45-2 and his 2nd year he was

45-0, which gave him a total of 135-2 going into this year and he is 28-0 this year so his record

is currently 163-2 for his career.sorry for the oversight.

That's not like you dunefan, getting sloppy with that clip board!

Well, I admit I did error somewhat, but after reviewing all my records I findthat his actual record

after his junior year was  128-2.  Let me explain a descrepencie.  Going into the wsectional his

freshman year the showed his record tpo be 24-1.  He won 3 matcvhes to be 27-1.  Then at the team regional

he won 1 and lost 1 (to Napules from Merrillville) which made his record going into the individual

regional 28-2.  However, the program given out or sold showed his record to be 29-2.. So I don't know where the additional win came from.  Then after winning 3 matches his record should have bee3n 31-2, yet

the semi-state book showed him to be 32-2 entereing semi-state action.  Then after winning 4 matches

there his record should have been 35-2, instead of 36-2.  Then with 4 wins at state his record going to

team state should have been 39-2, not counting the unexplained additional win.  And winning all 3 of his

matchs his record should have been 42-2 his freshman.  Then his 2nd and 3rd years he was 43-0 both

years.  If that other win can be explained I find his record to be 129-2 after 3 years.  Sorry, I hadn't realized

that the team regional matches wee indeed included on his state program record.  This year he is 28-0.

I don't know where someone came up with 131-2 after 3 years.

This is to add some history on the Schurg famoily.

Dusty is  81-22 so far:  Freshman - 24-10 at 126 lb;  Soph - 32-9 at 160

and 25-3 at 160 thus far this year.

Darden is a freshman and has a record of 28-1 thus far at 113 lb

This is to add some history on the Schurg famoily.

Dusty is  81-22 so far:  Freshman - 24-10 at 126 lb;  Soph - 32-9 at 160

and 25-3 at 160 thus far this year.

Darden is a freshman and has a record of 28-1 thus far at 113 lb

i thought there was one before dusty?? named dallas or something?

Please excuse all the typing errors and some omissions.  I am in a hurry to watch the football

game.   

D-Train:  Are you moving out of the area within the next 2 weeks.?/  If so, I know who you are.

No, I am not moving anytime soon.  You know who I am though.  Don Christian.

I was just razzing you about the clipboard.  Me, you and mr. H could have a pretty good talk about politics, we have similar views...

i thought there was one before dusty?? named dallas or something?

Yes, I wrestled before Dusty. I was 91-33, Dusty is currently 81-21 (with one more year), Denny has few varsity wins this year (2 years to follow for sure), Darey is currently 28-1 (w/ 3 years left), and then there's Daley to bring up the rear (he's an 8th grader this year).

Lord willing, if all my bros. stay healthy we should be able to take this record for sure!

Made another mistake.  Better take my clipboard from me.  Darde Schurg is

actually 27-1.  I forgot he was sick last week and didn't wrestle against Valpo.

Buckley didn't wrestle either.  A forfeit was given to Riley Akers of CP instead.

Yes, I wrestled before Dusty. I was 91-33, Dusty is currently 81-21 (with one more year), Denny has few varsity wins this year (2 years to follow for sure), Darey is currently 28-1 (w/ 3 years left), and then there's Daley to bring up the rear (he's an 8th grader this year).

Lord willing, if all my bros. stay healthy we should be able to take this record for sure!

I think you are right.  I always like seeing crown point in the record book!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.