Jon Fitch vs Johny Hendricks

wildcatcountry97

Anyway to advertise wrestling though other media sounds like a positive to me.  Those wrestling fans who dislike MMA usually point to it pulling away potential US guys who could wrestle internationally.   However, most of the wrestlers turned MMA guys were probably not going to end up Olympic medalist so in my view joining MMA still allows them to promote wrestling.  That to me makes wrestlers in MMA always a positive thing.  Them having success and winning titles is always a bonus too.   Who knows they may inspire someone to get there kid into wrestling who could go onto be one of ate all time best or at least go one to become a better adult through what this sport teaches.

On every single UFC show Joe Rogan gives huge props to wrestling. He seems to always mention that wrestling is the absolute best base for an mma career.

Was just going to say the same thing. Rogan is a huge proponent of wrestling. He likes to mention the toughness that comes from wrestling training and being in those battles. Plus what Drooke said, wrestlers get to dictate where the match takes place.

Overall I think its great for wrestling. It gives wrestlers another outlet for their skills

Exactly Smooth...we were just talking about this on another wrestling forum. While wrestling is without a doubt the best base for mma it also comes with a price. An elite wrestler can immediately compete on a much higher level due to the fact (as Smooth mentioned) they can dictate where the fight takes place...the drawback being they aren't allowed the time needed to become a well rounded mma practitioner.  I believe as the years go one we are going to see a much larger dominance by wrestlers because they will begin cross-training a bit earlier. We are actually seeing that now with brooks, jackson, kinser competing while still in school. 

I do have an unanswered question though regarding training mma while still in high school. Does the cross training elevate an elite wrestlers development and success or impede it?

Just look at the high caliber wrestlers going to mma lately.  Hendricks, Askren, Phil Davis, Cole Konrad,Daniel Cormier, Joe Warren , Rosholt, King Mo, Tyron Woodley, Chad Mendes. (Not intended to be a comprehensive list)

That's not even mentioning the countless wrestlers before them that helped pave the way.

I do have an unanswered question though regarding training mma while still in high school. Does the cross training elevate an elite wrestlers development and success or impede it?

It might depend on each individual kid.  If the kid is involved with other sports (football, baseball, etc.).  Cross-training my actually be a negative.  However, if a kid is wrestling year-round, it might be beneficial to throw some other things into the mix to prevent burnout. 

Since you are talking about "elite" wrestlers, I don't think it would impede their success. 

in 2008 the Nevada Athletic Commission conducted a study over the previous 5 years, concluding MMA was SAFER than boxing.

"The real telling statistic put forth by the British Journal of Sports Medicine involved the injury most serious, the one that makes fighters stutter, stumble, and end up suffering what MDs call Pugilistic Dementia, Punch Drunk to the layman. While better than 10% of boxing matches involve severe concussions, the studys work that should send the boxing world stumbling, is that in five years of MMA fights in Nevada, only 1.5% of the combatants suffered severe concussions."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.