Team State Changes

Has anyone heard which way the IHSAA is leaning? 

I heard from a very reliable source, that once again the IHSAA/Bobby Cox has said they will not even consider classing wrestling unless, the rest of the Individual Sports become classed. 

It looks like the only thing the IHSAA is looking at, is either eliminating Team State or keeping it. 

Track, golf, cross country, tennis, swimming, gymnastics

I believe out of that group tennis has a seperate team tournament to go along with the individual competition.    With the rest of the sports being scores in a tournament format of the state finals.  Other discrepancies exist since by the nature of the sports ogranization some can advance the entire team to the next level if they win while other only advance the individual athletes who qualified.

The one  way wrestling differs from most of this groups is in how placements determined.  Wrestling involvse  one contact  where the results of the match are dictated by the decisions of both athletes.  On the individual side of things this is only similar to tennis in that resect.  

Track, cross country, and swimming have more to to with an individual verses the time (and sometimes course) with just a small portion based on the decision of another competator.  Golf empahsis of you vs. the course than your competition.  Or gymnastics emphasis of you vs. the scoring criteria than your compeititon.    

So based on that throught process I would say the IHSAA is making a poor judgement by placing wrestling with any other sport in that group beside tennis.  True they are individual sports but the nature of those two sports are seperate from that of the rest and should be recognized as so when it comes to makeing any decision that effects all individual sports.

Track and swimming are the only sports that the team champion is based on the results of few people.  A school can win a state championship in track if they have a stud athlete and in swimming you might only need 5 good swimmers to win a title.  I think that the IHSAA will compare wrestling with swimming and track when it makes a decision on team state.  In tennis it is best of 5 that wins, in cross country it is the fastest 5 to finish a race to win, in golf it is the low score of 5 to win and in gymnastics it is the highest score of 5 to win.  The other sports are more of true teams and it takes everybody to compete.  In wrestling you could win the old scoring way with 5 studs but you can still compete as a team with 5 forfeits, not far but in the rules, this is what makes out sport unique.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.