HYWAY State Review

My observations on HYWAY State.

Positives:

1) Overall, I was quite impressed.  Nice venue, plenty of surfaces.

2) Medals were high quality and looked excellent.

3) I thought the officiating was very good.

4) 621 preregistered.  I would guess there ended up with 750 wrestlers total including walk ups.

5) There were problems, but Hyway people acknowledge the problems and took ownership of it.  There were no excuses.

6) The numbers alone show the enormous hunger there is for more efficiently run tournaments in this state.

7) Vastly improved quality of competition this year over last year.

Needs Improvement:

1) There should be medals for the top 8 at any state level event.

2) A bracket sheet should be provided to the winner.

3) Awards were announced at random times.  We went from 2-3pm without a single announcement about awards being ready.  That is unacceptable.

4) If we keep an awards area, it must be larger.  Too narrow an approach between Jim?s Wrestling Supply and the t-shirt sales leading into the awards/pairings area.

5) Matside pairings need to actually be matside and not in some backroom serving as the pairings/awards area.

6) Wrestlers should receive their medal from the matside pairings person when they turn in their final bout sheet.

7) We must use a staggered start time.   NUWAY tournaments in all other states use staggered start times.  10 & under starts at 8 a.m.  11 & up starts at 1 p.m.  Hyway kind of stepped on their own feet by not using the traditional NUWAY procedures.

Hit a lot of things right on.Wrestling has improved but it was because only a couple of venues to wrestle this past weekend.Only real complaint was table help was awful and the few guys who tried to officiate the little guy bouts (who werent zebras) were clueless.HWAY has to train table help longer than 4 or 5 min.before wrestling started.On several occ. time keeper did not start clock and score keeper could not keep up with bouts.Overall not bad day.

I agree with you 100%. I was furious about not having medals for the top 8 placers.

We will take all things in to consideration, but in trying to keep cost low about half what you pay at other state tournaments. 

Who won junior 160 thru 215  ?

From memory, not sure if these are correct:

In the 17-19 division:

155: Isaiah Bradley (I think this was his weight).  He also won an exhibition match with Binion from Mishawaka.

163: Reece LeFever

174: Connor LeFever

192: Austin Striggle (I believe Raypole went out with an injury)

Hwt: Abraham Hall

I would love to see exact results though. 

Its pretty sad that my son in a middle weight class only had one other wrestler in his weight class and the tournament director would not allow him to bump up to a weight class with four kids in it.  I paid $25 for my son to wrestle a kid he pinned in the first minute twice.  I could have saved time and money by going to a local ISWA tournament, but thought this was the "state" finals he would see some competition in a middle of the road weight class.

Its pretty sad that my son in a middle weight class only had one other wrestler in his weight class and the tournament director would not allow him to bump up to a weight class with four kids in it.  I paid $25 for my son to wrestle a kid he pinned in the first minute twice.  I could have saved time and money by going to a local ISWA tournament, but thought this was the "state" finals he would see some competition in a middle of the road weight class.

Too bad he didn't get a chance to wrestle Clark from Carroll.  Feel bad for ya!

Funny I didn't see you there.

Spencer did get injured.  We are waiting for the MRI results might be a torn LCL. I am trying to fight off the depression.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.