Undefeated wrestlers...

Y2CJ41

Interesting stat pointed out to me by Josh Lowe of Intermat.

Indiana has 31 undefeated wrestlers going into state.

In Ohio here are the numbers for the past four years.

2010 - 18 wrestlers (16 weights), 7 end up winning

2009 - 17 wrestlers (15 weights), 9 champs

2008 - 16 wrestlers (12 weights), 10 champs

2007 - 16 individuals (15 weights), 6 champs

Not sure what to think, it is just very interesting that we have a boatload of undefeated wrestlers, where a state with about 150 more schools has half as many almost.  I don't think the travel rules are a reason for it as, we should have more chances to see eachother because we cannot travel as much.

I think it basically shows how there is a lack of depth in the state as far as top quality wrestlers. 

Just a shot in the dark here.  

Could the class system set up a situation where teams seek out a more class heavy (but not exclusive) schedule to wrestle. With a more limited selection of teams to choose from to better wrestlers encounter more of top competition prior to the state finals ending several undefeated seasons early.

While in Indiana the team do not have a such a schedule and so do not always encounter as many top wrestlers prior to the semi-state portion of the tournament.  

The other issue that may be a factor is that many (not all) of Indiana's undefeated wrestlers are at a much higher level than most of their competition.   Thus, they are not put in a situation other than the final rounds of state to really be challenged in most years.  Obviously, we have noticed this talent gap emerge over the last several years and it will take more time and work to close that gap.  Ohio has been developing their talent for a much longer period than we have in Indiana.  While I'm sure a talent gap exists Ohio has a much larger group of elite wrestlers allowing for a chance at more tough match-ups prior to states.

Agree the travel restrictions keep some of Indiana's wrestlers sheltered while some of the time Ohio guys end up facing more of the time wrestlers in the nation and as a result up their chances of losing a match before state.  Being Ohio is also close to Pennsylvania, so some of the boarder wars battles with them could cause a person to lose their undefeated season.

I'm not sure one issue can be the main cause, but rather a combination of a little of all three reason may end up playing into why this occurs.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there's a growing disparity between studs and the average wrestler. Go to a meet and truly watch objectively, even at the semistate level. Poor stances, little to no setup, and sloppiness all around. Now go watch Illinois and Ohio and you see far less of it. There's too little focus on basic mechanics and technique, more on conditioning and trying to get enough guys out to get a full roster.

In Ohio you could start off your season with the Walsh Ironman, follow it up with the Beast of the East and the Medina Invite.  Make sure you have St. Eds and St. Paris Graham on your schedule.  Go to Cincinnati and take on Bishop Moeller or Lakota West.  Wrestle in Cleveland often.

I'm amazed anybody is undefeated in Ohio.  Even David Taylor had two losses in high school.

In Ohio (or other states) where they have class wrestling, do schools compete across classes during the season, then in class for post season? My thinking is; if they compete in class all year they are more likely to see competition at their level making it more hard to be undefeted.

In Indiana it is possible for a school to "pad" the schedule against lesser schools. I know of a few that do this. But if they wrestle class all year it is much more difficult to "pad".

Just a thought.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.