Heavyweight at NC semistate

grappleapple

I don't want to pick on the big guys, being one myself, but I used to tell them, "it's not sumo, no one scores for pushing the other around the circle." 

Just thinking about the matches I refereed with the most stalling...  I sometimes wondered what they did in the practice room for 3 hours a day, five days a week.  ???

Anyone else think they should just ban the first period of HWT maches, and make them wrestle 2 periods? Maybe we can get a little more action because they get to tired pushing each other around for 2 minutes. 95% of HWT matches end up 0-0 anyway.

...should never happen!  Basketball has a shot clock (you must attempt to score in __ seconds).  Football has a play clock (you must attempt to advance the ball in __ seconds).  Why would you allow a wrestling match to go 0-0 in the first 1 minute without a shot attempt, or something!  People pay money to see wrestling. 

As an official I would find myself trying to explain to some coaches that even in a staring contest someone is working harder than the other!!!!! 

Pick one and call them for stalling, if nothing happens in 5 seconds, call the other guy!  If neither one is doing anything you call it, and call it, and call it, as long as you keep it even (assuming the effort level is evenly poor) in the end you have not effected the outcome; it's a wash, but you can say that you did something.

In my opinion we should have one more weight class here...... Might get a couple of other kids in the room also....We should have a class from 215 to 245 and then a super heavyweight class from 245 to 285 or bigger.  Or something like that....At Mooresville in the the late 70's we had a great heavyweight Kevin Simmons that could have beat about anybody but he wrestled at about 235 and would get beat by guys that were way heavier than him....Just got smothered by them......I don't care how good you are at that weight but when you give up 40 or 50 pounds you have your work cut out for you.....I don't have anything against the big kids that wrestle and hope that they keep going at it.....Don't get down on the big kids....They are going out there and getting after it...

In my opinion we should have one more weight class here...... Might get a couple of other kids in the room also....We should have a class from 215 to 245 and then a super heavyweight class from 245 to 285 or bigger.  Or something like that....At Mooresville in the the late 70's we had a great heavyweight Kevin Simmons that could have beat about anybody but he wrestled at about 235 and would get beat by guys that were way heavier than him....Just got smothered by them......I don't care how good you are at that weight but when you give up 40 or 50 pounds you have your work cut out for you.....I don't have anything against the big kids that wrestle and hope that they keep going at it.....Don't get down on the big kids....They are going out there and getting after it...

Would you actually want to watch another pathetic heavyweight class?  285 is terrible enough, and 215 is only slightly better.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.