Genius says...predictions for tournaments this weekend

maligned

Genius Potential predictions for tournaments this weekend (Genius rating x3 for individual tournament predictions):

Goshen Invitational:

Fairfield favored by 48 over Goshen and 75 over Whitko.

Sagamore Conference:

Southmont favored by 18.5 over Danville, 40 and 44.5 over Lebanon and North Montgomery

Concordia Invitational:

Carroll favored by 43 over Homestead and 49 over Huntington North

Woodlan Invitational:

Leo favored by 34.5 over Woodlan and 77 over Churubusco

Hoosier Conference:

Delphi favored by 31 over Benton Central

Hoosier Crossroads Conference:

Hamilton Southeastern favored by 7 over Wesfield, 19 over Fishers, 33 over Noblesville, 37.5 over Zionsville, 48 over Avon

Hoosier Heritage Conference

Yorktown favored by 78 over Greenfield Central, 104 over New Palestine

Hoosier Hills Conference

Jennings County favored by 19 over Jeffersonville, 25.5 over Columbus East, and 82.5 over Floyd Central

Duneland Athletic Conference:

Crown Point favored by 86.5 over Merrillville and 127.5 over Portage

Genius Potential predictions for tournaments this weekend (Genius rating x3 for individual tournament predictions):

Hoosier Hills Conference

Jennings County favored by 19 over Jeffersonville, 25.5 over Columbus East, and 82.5 over Floyd Central

HHC Results:

1.Columbus East 244.5

2.Jennings County 222.5

3.Jeffersonville    220.0

4.Floyd Central    157.0

5.Madison            125.0

6.New Albany    103.0

7.Seymour          86.0

8.Bedford          45.0

I'm wondering how this is possible.  Do you think they scored the tournament improperly?  Or maybe......just maybe, the genius rankings are not accurate.

I'm wondering how this is possible.  Do you think they scored the tournament improperly?  Or maybe......just maybe, the genius rankings are not accurate.

I would say the Genius Rankings still had the Baldwin factor added into the 160 weight class, but that was not in effect for the actual event.  I'm guessing it also didn't taking into account Noblitt going to 103 and the anomaly of him catching Kennedy  for the pin.   Having the rankings which doesn't factor in those to events would give a somewhat different outcome  than what happened at HHC over the weekend.  Very, solid win for Columbus East as they found several different wrestlers to gain valuable extra points throughout the day to prove the were the most well rounded team.

I would say the Genius Rankings still had the Baldwin factor added into the 160 weight class, but that was not in effect for the actual event.  I'm guessing it also didn't taking into account Noblitt going to 103 and the anomaly of him catching Kennedy  for the pin.   Having the rankings which doesn't factor in those to events would give a somewhat different outcome  than what happened at HHC over the weekend.  Very, solid win for Columbus East as they found several different wrestlers to gain valuable extra points throughout the day to prove the were the most well rounded team.

I'm not sure I would call the Noblitt win an anomaly.  He threw Kennedy to his back and Noblitt looked like the better wrestler all day.

I'm not sure I would call the Noblitt win an anomaly.  He threw Kennedy to his back and Noblitt looked like the better wrestler all day.

Noblitt did look solid on the day and waited to his opportunity against Kennedy.  But going off the "Genius Rankings" I would say it was an anomaly.  Those rankings have little East scores with Noblitt (or anyone) at 103 which would lower East expected results compared to the actual results.  The advancements points for Noblitt and the pin points verses Kennedy who would have been factor in as helping Floyd based on the teams previous results was a big factor in Guinus Rankings not equally reality. Just as the rankings would have most of JC results with Baldwin in the lineup which would increase their expected results compared to the actual results.  Though I will say his replacement is a solid wrestlers which shows some of the depth JC has as a team.  Just saying why sometimes background information doesn't equal reality since many factors change throughout the season in wrestling.  

Noblitt did look solid on the day and waited to his opportunity against Kennedy.  But going off the "Genius Rankings" I would say it was an anomaly.  Those rankings have little East scores with Noblitt (or anyone) at 103 which would lower East expected results compared to the actual results.  Just as the rankings would have most of JC results with Baldwin in the lineup which would increase their expected results compared to the actual results.  Just saying why sometimes background information doesn't equal reality since many factors change throughout the season in wrestling. 

Also most of our duals results are without David Johnson as well.

That is my point.  The Genius rankings are inaccurate.  Impossible to consider all factors.

Also most of our duals results are without David Johnson as well.

That is my point.  The Genius rankings are inaccurate.  Impossible to consider all factors.

y are u bashing these ratings? its just a fun way to do different rankings! They aren't personal its just by past results

I'd say if anything it show the Genius Rankings, because of how it is set up, may be better at pick a dual meet situation than an individual tournament one.  Since both had different factors in how a winner is determined.  The Genius Ranking also have some slight flaws even then since the nature of our sport causes movement in weight class throughout the year which could cause a slightly bigger impact when compared to how the rankings from football or basketball work if one player (unless he is super special) is out of their line up.  Agreed it is a good system that does help show where the dual team strength around the state.  But, because of the nature of moving people around in weight classes  and the different in a dual compared to a individual tournament I think wrestling may be a harder to develop a accurate point spread for compared to others.

cewrestlingfan:

This is what makes the ratings entertaining.  The ratings aren't inaccurate unless you expect they can see the future--it's just math computations of what your past performance says about how you relate to other teams.  It's not an infallible prophet.  Your performance up until this weekend suggested you were a slight underdog.  You wrestled great and won.  Thankfully, nothing is decided by ratings.  It's all decided on the mat.  The ratings are for entertainment and analysis only. 

MattM:

You're exactly right.  It's impossible to do a rating that takes every single variable into consideration.  In an ideal world, all results would be weighted in the system based on what percentage of the starting lineup was actually there...this is just impossible to track.  Also, I agree that the ratings might be slightly better at predicting dual winners than tournament winners when we're considering closely matched teams.  Still, with closely matched teams, it doesn't matter whether it's a dual or a tournament; the results are highly variable even with normal lineups.  I'm working on a system for showing exactly what certain point spreads mean in terms of what percentage of the time a particular team should beat another team.  Those percentages will show that even teams favored by 15 in a dual or 45 in a tournament can often lose.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.