Wrestling in the Spring, Summer and Fall?

PreparetoWin

Would like to hear some opinions...Is it better for a incoming freshman with a lot of potential to concentrate solely on one sport? two sports max? or as many different sports they can during there high school career? 

I have wondered if there is an advantage for a wrestler to get away from the sport for awhile during the summer or fall.  But then I continue to hear of top caliber wrestlers, who may have played another sport, but wrestle or train for wrestling most of the year.  I have heard different theories and I guess I just always thought that playing another sport or two would be beneficial. But someone recently told me how much they benefitted from concentrating on just wrestling. 

Thanks in advance for the input.

Whatever the kid wants to do and will have the most fun doing is your answer.  Unless he's a freak, he isn't going to reach his potential if he hates having to wrestle all the time.  Some kids want to be on the mat everyday and some need a break.  The kid who needs a break will end up just wasting his spring and fall if he's not mentally into the training.

It really is different for every situation.  The kid needs to realize whether or not he's actually going to consciously make an effort to improve, and the coach/parent needs to realize and be ok with whatever the kid wants or else they will end up wasting both people's time and money.

And don't say high school kid don't know what they want, because they do.  Kids who win in wrestling want it bad enough to think and realize how much wrestling is too much wrestling.  Back when mater dei was winning state every year most of their guys played football, and did so quite well, all summer/fall.

There is no cookie cutter answer for everyone.  Some kids need the break away and some the only way to keep them out of the wrestling room is to lock them in a cage. 

Your right y2 I think the kid that is pictured on your posts stole your key because you can't keep him out of the wrestling room. He is almost lost when he is not wrestling. The most important part is having fun and it is fun for him.  Make sure he surrounds himself with good wrestling friends I think that is what gets them in the room all the time!

I agree with Y2 on this.  It's a kid specific issue.  We have had a lot of state champs and place winners who were stars in other sports as well.  There have also been quite a few kids who specialized in wrestling and it served them very well.  More time than not, if the kid is a good enough athlete to be successful in more than one sport, I would recommend that he compete in 2-3 sports.  It takes a certain mindset to wrestle year round and not get burned out.  Besides, if a kid goes to a small school, he'll not only have the opportunity to compete in multiple sports, but he'll also have multiple sports teams that need him.  Another thing to consider is that by playing multiple sports, you can find out that you might be better at a sport that you hadn't first considered to be your best.

My son loves wrestling....he wrestles the spring and summer tournaments every year...he loves to do national tournaments and to be a part of Team Indiana.  However, when football season starts you can't even get him to talk about wrestling.  He is focused on football from day one to the end.  That's when he flips the switch back to wrestling.  Soon enough that will change, as after this season he will likely focus solely on football for college.  I think the kids that prefer wrestling and want to pursue it after high school will tend to gravitate toward year round wrestling.  Other kids love sports in general and will prefer to mix it up.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.