This is kind of embarrassing, but...

naco228

I've been wrestling for 8 long years, and I'm going to Purdue in the fall and I don't know if I'm ready to hang up the shoes yet.  I haven't had a very successful career, only Regionals twice.  But I dedicated myself to wrestling, and if I'm up for it, I know I can do it in college.

But I have doubt that my skills are no where near to compete with the rest of them.  I would be a practice dummy.  Should I try and walk on, or spare my myself?

I don't know what to do...I still want to wrestle, but I need to be realistic.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Boiler Elite club.  This will give you a chance to wrestle with Purdue's wrestlers.  That's when you'll know if you want to take that step!  Also talk to the coaches now to get their perspective.

As much as you may want to wrestle you can do other things that feed that competitive desire.  First, there are boat loads of intramural activities available in college.  I only know from my experience at Findlay, but they have kickball, dodgeball, broomball, basketball, flag football, and many more activities that you can participate in.  I am sure Purdue has an even better intramural activity program.  Another avenue to look into is possibly coaching at a nearby high school or middle school.  You might even get lucky enough to make some money.  And lastly, think about becoming a referee.  This is a great way to make some money while in college and you would be giving back to the sport.  You can also make quite a bit of money doing this as you get better and have more experience. 

it's your choice and everybody made some valid points, but my only regret in life was not trying. i feel as though I was good enough to make it. you only life once. "life is not a rehersal, you only get one chance, so give it your best shot."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.