Crown Point wrestlers

CoachesWife

I don't see a big problem with not shaking the coaches hand. I never did it in high school but now that my young child has started wrestling I have him shake the coaches hand after a match.

One think that I don't like is when a wrestler gives the coach his hand and the coach gives the wrestler his knuckles unless prior arrangements are made. 

In high school I always shook the opposing coaches hand before i stepped off the mat. Every single time. Why? because i had always seen the upperclassmen at Hobart do it, so i assumed i should too when it was my turn to step on the mat. Eventually It became so habit built that i would do it without thinking, and i continue to do it in college. However most other guys do not in college. You rarely see it. But like i said i do it every time just out of habit. I like to think it is good sportsmanship (Probably something Good Ole Coach Balash instilled in us) but honestly i do not think it is overly important and don't see any problems with kids not shaking the coaches hand after the match. Just seems a little repetitive to me. 

On the flip side, a couple years ago we only had 5 guys on the team.  I really wished the other teams would have stopped coming over to shake our hands.  One or two per dual is fine, but when you have 9 forfeits, you kinda want to tell the other team, "we get it, you are good sportsman...you don't have to come over here 5 times in a row to prove it."

back in the day we were instructed NOT to shake hands with the opposing teams coaches.  If you wanted to AFTER the meet then that was ok.  I could be very wrong but I would swear I remember it was actually a violation of the rules at one point in time.

Sort of like the rule of having the straps of your singlet up while in the wrestling area and stands...That rule seems to have gone away.

i think that it should be a rule to shake each others coaches hand and if you dont its a point taken away from your team

I could not disagree more. Every year people make a huge deal of this. At my sectional Twin Lakes use to not shake hands, at my old conference New Castle didn't. It is no big deal to anyone except the fans who because of a lack of a simple handshake constantly root against that team.

How many times this weekend did you see a losing wrestler run over to the opposing coach and barely even shake their hand as they ran past? Generally wrestlers are really hard on themselves after a loss and dont want to associate with anyone, let alone worry about shaking a coaches hand. I use to think differently on this subject, but I think it is best that you go back to your own coaches (if anyone) and discuss with them the fine points of the match.

There is no right or wrong in this situation, and the teams who choose to not shake hands catch way too much flack for it.

I could not disagree more. Every year people make a huge deal of this. At my sectional Twin Lakes use to not shake hands, at my old conference New Castle didn't. It is no big deal to anyone except the fans who because of a lack of a simple handshake constantly root against that team.

How many times this weekend did you see a losing wrestler run over to the opposing coach and barely even shake their hand as they ran past? Generally wrestlers are really hard on themselves after a loss and dont want to associate with anyone, let alone worry about shaking a coaches hand. I use to think differently on this subject, but I think it is best that you go back to your own coaches (if anyone) and discuss with them the fine points of the match.

There is no right or wrong in this situation, and the teams who choose to not shake hands catch way too much flack for it.

Amen, brother.  I am from CP and I was really disappointed to see this brought up and wanted to give my opinion, but you pretty much just said it for me.  I am also happy to see that not as many people this year are badmouthing CP for this as in years past.   

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.