RIP Cal State Bakersfield

The following was copy and pasted from the Underground on MMA.TV:

--Today's Bakersfield Californian at http://www.bakersfield.com/news/sports/csub/x2022667362/Fitting-farewell ran a story on the final Cal State University Bakersfield home wrestling meet, since on Thursday the college announced they were dropping the sport, the most successful at the college. The team came out in new all black sweats and costumes without the name or initials of the school on their uniforms as a protest against the school, that was made clear considering school president Horace Mitchell was at mat side. Many former national champions and all-americans from the school came to the final meet. Bakersfield beat UC-Davis 39-4, and there was a long standing ovation and the place was still packed 45 minutes after the last match. Mitchell said that if boosters can raise $1.4 million, they would save the wrestling team as well as men's and women's golf teams and women's tennis, for two years. Before the meet started, ring announcer Ed Thomas said, "This is the last dual meet ever." Coach T.J. Kerr came out wearing a 1996 team ring, commemorating the year the Division II school actually was ranked No. 3 in Division I.

Wow.  They actually have a sucessful program and the only sport that puts the school on the sports radar.  This are scary times for fringe sports.  This is by far the worse lose college wrestling has seen in its recent history.  Sadly, even if they raise the funds the school will just end up trying to drop the program again in a few more years.  Between Title IX, the the economy, and political folk move funding around the state opperations to ensure they get re-elected schools are getting the short stick and that means sports are going to get hurt.

It saddens me to hear about another college wrestling program shut down.  It kind of frustrating to see wrestlers with the talent & skill to compete in college and, perhaps beyond, deprived of another option as far as where to go to wrestle in college goes.  It would be great to see Oklahoma vs. Texas in a wrestling dual.  That can't happen because Texas doesn't have a wrestling team.  When Oregon lost their wrestling team, why didn't Nike send a couple million bucks the wrestling team's way.  Too much money is spent on uniforms for the football team.  400 different combinations of football uniforms is a joke.  Some of that money could've went toward the wrestling team.  What else can be said?

There were lots of inside rumors that Nike had something to do with Oregon's wrestling program getting shut down. I can't remember the details now.

What if........Texas joins the Big Ten? There are plenty of rumors right now on talk radio and the internet that this very well could happen. Would the Big Ten make Texas add wrestling?

There were lots of inside rumors that Nike had something to do with Oregon's wrestling program getting shut down. I can't remember the details now.

What if........Texas joins the Big Ten? There are plenty of rumors right now on talk radio and the internet that this very well could happen. Would the Big Ten make Texas add wrestling?

A. Nike may not have been the downfall of Oregon wrestling but Phil Knight through the funding to Oregon's sports programs sure has heck didn't do much to help with keeping it.  But as mentioned they sure as heck have tons of football uniforms these days.

B. I don't see someplace as far away as Texas joining the Big 10.  I figure they will get a school more in central or the eastern US.  However, if they did I would imagine they would think about adding wrestling with the state high school wrestling developing so fast.

There is no provision in the Big Ten "contract" that says you must have wrestling.  On top of that, I doubt you will ever see wrestling added at any big school in the near future.  The schools that will add wrestling are the small ones where getting 30 students to enroll to play a sport will help them out.  Adding wrestling at Texas and another 30 students does nothing for them.

Who are some influential people connected with Cal St Bakersfield?

Hers a few that come to my mind

1. Joe Seay(sp) Former Cal State and Ok State head coach, Olympic Coach i think?

2. Jesse Reyes Nat champ @ Cal State Bak, Former Head coach @ Purdue, Current AD @ New Haven HS

3. Steven Neal 2x Nat Champ @ Cal State Bak, World Champ