semi-state proposal

faurote96

The way our state tournament is set up the IHSAA is only looking to get the #1 wrestler at each weight class. It seems that 2nd-8th are just there. If they were looking to get true placement of 3rd-8th they would adopt a style like michigan where wrestle backs are in place. I just don't think that the placers outside of 1st are the IHSAA's priority.

The way our state tournament is set up the IHSAA is only looking to get the #1 wrestler at each weight class. It seems that 2nd-8th are just there. If they were looking to get true placement of 3rd-8th they would adopt a style like michigan where wrestle backs are in place. I just don't think that the placers outside of 1st are the IHSAA's priority.

How many state champions lose at least once throughout the year...... If that match was in the Ticket Round then what happens......... We have a different Champion....... Our Current System of allowing more than just the champion to advance is more forgiving to an individual loss. I IHSAA only cared about placing number 1 then they would short the number that advanced not extend it..... I do however see the money that is being made...... Now the question is whats more important money or quality..... I vote quality thus I vote wrestle backs

I guess the good news is at least we get some wrestle backs and can advance more than one person to the next round.  The IHSAA can easily say they want to start treating wrestling like the team sports where its simply you lose and your are out.  Most of use would love to see semi-state wrestle-backs but it looks like that may be awhile off in the IHSAA's eyes

...The IHSAA can easily say they want to start treating wrestling like the team sports where its simply you lose and your are out.  Most of use would love to see semi-state wrestle-backs but it looks like that may be awhile off in the IHSAA's eyes

Unfortunately you are probably right.  But that is what is wrong about our state vs. a lot of others.  Other states realize wrestling is NOT basketball and is treated accordingly.  Our powers to be have no clue what this GREAT sport needs. 

Y2 probalby knows but how many other "wrestling states" have wrestle backs in their tournament?

I guess the good news is at least we get some wrestle backs and can advance more than one person to the next round.  The IHSAA can easily say they want to start treating wrestling like the team sports where its simply you lose and your are out.  Most of use would love to see semi-state wrestle-backs but it looks like that may be awhile off in the IHSAA's eyes

Sadly, I believe that you are right about how the IHSAA thinks.  As wrestling fans we know that we have a very unique situation.  We are talking about the individual tournament - not a team sport.  Our team tournament has no wrestle-backs or "do overs".  Other IHSAA individual tournaments seem to have remedies to bad draws built in.  For example, in track or swimming, you may have the top individuals in a given event in the same regional.  Only a certain number of place winners will qualify for state, but they have state qualifying times/distances so that the best athletes are still represented at the state tournament.

Why not take the 4 from regionals and have wrestle backs...two rounds on Friday night.  That way the IHSAA still makes there money and we the wrestling fans get what we want...it seems like a win/win for everyone. The time change gives schools that live three hours away to leave after school and make it down there by 6. I dont know lets hear the detractors...lol

The first round takes about 3 hours.  I'd think that's all you'd want to get in on a Friday night.  That would cut it down to 8 wrestlers on Sat.  Having an 8-man pull through tournament on Sat. would be eminently feasible.  The only thing is about every other year, we have to contend with a concert at Robert's Stadium on Friday night.  That means our set-up folks have to get to there about 4 or 5 on Sat. morning.

Like the idea, though.

The IHSAA's big argument against wrestlebacks was that they thought they would take too long to complete. Yet, when they cut out the Team Semistate this was the bone that we were thrown. The exact same number of matches wrestling back from the quarterfinals would take...for kids who lost twice at the Regional. I have been in the room when the IHSWCA proposed wrestlebacks to the IHSAA  Executive Committee, in fact I helped make the proposal a few years ago,  and the decision seemed to have already been made before the presentation even began. The AD's like Janis Qualizza, Dennis Bunda, and Debb Stevens on the EC listened intently and voted in favor of WB's but most of the Principals have their heads so far up Bobby & Blake's ass that they can't see the forest for the trees. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.