Region Media Bias ?

Rasslar

I don't mean to sound negative, but am I the only one in Lake or Porter County that looks for wrestling coverage in the Post &/or Times newspaper on Sundays after a big tourney like the Hobart invite, only to find "0", "Zip", "Nada".  Oh sure the results of the finals & consolations.    I seriously wonder sometimes if the editors from each paper got beaten up as kids from some wrestler, and it left a nasty psychological scar.    I have nothing against girls basketball,  but come on, give me a break.      Quiroz, narrowing the gap on McMurry .    Collin Slagle from Griffith,  beating a tough Mish  and Portage kid to win the championship.  These are just two small examples.    Of course being from  Lake County I would  rather  have seen different results than Mish.  winning.  But isn't the fact that the  number one team in the state coming into town to compete with all of us "Region Rats"  in and of it self  news worthy.    I mean the last time I checked,  we have a few studs up here don't we.    Alright, I'll shut up now.

Yeah I think youre right.    It just frustrates me  knowing how hard these kids work and represent their schools, only to get so little recognition or appreciation from the press.    It's probably just as bad in central Indiana as it is up here.  Just venting.

I agree, that is horrible how the Times doesnt cover wrestling. After a tourny I go straight to the sports section to look, and mostly all the time find nothing. I guess (butler remains perfect in league play) is more important than our local wrestling. Nothing against Butler, but C'Mon Man we want to read about wrestling also.

Do coaches send in results to the newspaper? I know I send in results to our two media outlets and they always do write ups on the event we just wrestled.  And maybe not just only send results, maybe give a few lines of how you thought the day went and stuff that happened that way the paper will have something to go off of.  I now our sports writer isn't going to travel an hour to cover an all day tournament.  But I give him enough information, that way come Monday morning they is a nice little article on how the team did.

I agree, that is horrible how the Times doesnt cover wrestling. After a tourny I go straight to the sports section to look, and mostly all the time find nothing. I guess (butler remains perfect in league play) is more important than our local wrestling. Nothing against Butler, but C'Mon Man we want to read about wrestling also.

No offense to Butler, but who in the region gives a darn about Butler?

I agree totally that the Times and Post both don't give the REGIONS  wrestling enough press . It's sad that you have 3 out of the top 10 teams in the state in NWI and nothing is hardly printed , how many other sports here can say that . There's a good chance NWI could produce 6 or more state champs this year , nothing is said about CP being #2 in the state with 8 new wrestlers after winning it all last year , talk about something that the Region can be proud of  because it sure isn't football . Mark Smith from The Star ( a local paper) is the only one committed to giving wrestling any coverage , but it's 80% Crown Point .

Do coaches send in results to the newspaper? I know I send in results to our two media outlets and they always do write ups on the event we just wrestled.  And maybe not just only send results, maybe give a few lines of how you thought the day went and stuff that happened that way the paper will have something to go off of.  I now our sports writer isn't going to travel an hour to cover an all day tournament.  But I give him enough information, that way come Monday morning they is a nice little article on how the team did.

I'm not a coach,  but are you saying that the  coach or someone on the coaching staff  should be taking pictures and interviewing the wrestlers for the paper.    And then sending them the pics and info to be edited and maybe printed.  Huh, never thought of that but I suppose its better than  nothing.  I'm thinking that might be hard to do.  Results I understand, but action shots and interviews comming from many different teams may be unmanageable, let alone unwanted.

Personally, I thought the Times did an OK job on the Hobart invite.  They did post the results of the finals and the consolations.  What are you looking for, results of every match for the day?  If you have aqny questions on how a particular wrestler did in a match other than the finals, which prevented him from making the finals, ask a question on the particular thread.  Normally someone will answer your question.  Most of the time someone at the invite will post the final-consolation results with scores, but noone did, so I'm glad the Times had what they did.

Personally, I thought the Times did an OK job on the Hobart invite.  They did post the results of the finals and the consolations.  What are you looking for, results of every match for the day?   If you have aqny questions on how a particular wrestler did in a match other than the finals, which prevented him from making the finals, ask a question on the particular thread.  Normally someone will answer your question.  Most of the time someone at the invite will post the final-consolation results with scores, but noone did, so I'm glad the Times had what they did.

I'm not saying they don't print the finals and consolation "scores".  I'm talking about a couple of highlighted match ups, upsets,  or even a recap with pics of the day.    I just think we (region wrestling community) have more fans and supporters than the papers reflect.  But maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe there are more bowling and girls basketball fans and supporters  in the region than I realized.

Hey I live in Mishawaka. Home of the no. 1 team in the state, and theres NOTHING in todays South Bend Tribune!I don't think the sports editors realize how many people follow wrestling.If there had been a girls b-ball game at Hobart, there would be a story and pictures!

I don't disagee with you... it's very annoying that bowling gets six times the coverage that wrestling does here in the region

I couldn't agree more!  I understand the basketball love by the papers but c'mon, bowling? How can that rank above wrestling in media coverage in the SPORTS section?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.