Weightlifting

porkrinder

I'm a football guy (that's debatable)...ok, I coach it (again, debatable).  I at least have an interest in football--we'll just say that.  But, I know very little about wrestling (Although, I once wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands).  But, I like the sport.  I know of some old school wrestling coaches that discourage weightlifting.  Is this still the case in most programs?  Or is it a thing of the past?  Busco is on the BFS program, and Coach Reisen is a very weightroom-friendly coach.  He has his guys up there regularly.  What do most programs do?  No weights?  Minimal weight-lifting?

I coach at a small 1A school. I have the wrestlers in the weight room two times a week. When we are there we out number the football players that are not doing a winter sport. I know that some of the football players are going in the morning before school but overall the football guys that are not in winter sports are not in the weight room after school.

I coach at a small 1A school. I have the wrestlers in the weight room two times a week. When we are there we out number the football players that are not doing a winter sport. I know that some of the football players are going in the morning before school but overall the football guys that are not in winter sports are not in the weight room after school.

But...but...but, isn't that the reason they don't want to wrestle, so they can lift more?

There is a difference between the type of lifting a football player and a wrestler should do.  Football is more about short burst of a lot of weight.  Wrestling should be more focused on lighter weights for a longer time.  It is good to build muscle strength as well as endurance for a wrestler.

There is a difference between the type of lifting a football player and a wrestler should do.  Football is more about short burst of a lot of weight.  Wrestling should be more focused on lighter weights for a longer time.  It is good to build muscle strength as well as endurance for a wrestler.

Disagree with that statement.  Still need plenty of short burst power in wrestling.  Wrestling season is not the time to stop lifting for power.  Adjust your auxillary lifts to build more muscle endurance.

I know when I wrestled my coach didnt have required lifts during season but focused alot more on conditioning.  we would have morning sprints twice a week and everything was to increase stamina.  Now in the offseason we had morning lifts twice a week.  Bu tme being a heavyweight, and on the football team managed to get my lifts in everyday.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.