merrilliville vs portage

ontherise219

coppinger took garcia down in the first, Garcia escaped 2 to 1 after the first. Second period Garcia choose down he get a escape making it 2 to 2 there are a ton of good scrammbles. 3rd coppinger chooses down he gets a escape then Gacia takes him down with a nice firemans the rides him for the final minute and 10 

Wow, thats an impressive win by Garcia being just a freshman and all.  Where did this kid come from.  Is he a stransfer from out of state, our just another youth stud up from the CIA program etc.  Coppinger is a tough kid who had Hawkins on the ropes last year.

What a great match!  Merrillville won 9 of the 14 matches in a tough Duneland dual, but the Pirates were just too much this time around. 

Michael Torres (Portage) looked like he is back in form by bumping up and winning 19-9 at 160. 

Sean (portage) handled state-ranked Wengel for the tech while bumping up to 171.

At 103 Senior Stevens was able to pin the tough, younger Torres to extend the Pirate lead.

At 112 the tables were turned as the superfrosh Garcia beat the experienced Coppinger 4-3.

135 Acuna (portage) won 4-0 to win the last match of the night.  Acuna looks strong at this weight.

The Merrillville upperweights have only been practicing 3 weeks so they still have some rust to shake off and conditioning to improve.  It could be a wider margin of victory next time.  Only time will tell.

A summary of the dual can be precisely described in one sentence.. 

MERRILLVILLE WANTED IT MORE

They came out ready to battle and I give kudos to their wrestlers and coaches.  This is the TOUGHEST Merrillville team I have competed against..  Maybe not the best, but definately the toughest.  The only swing match that washed out for Portage was the King/Berry match and Berry gave it all he had!  Every Pirate that was involved in a swing match wrestled with authority and knew what they had to do.  The Pirates showed hustle and class.  They ran back to the center of the mat and Coach Maldonado had them ready to wrestle.  They were thirsty(metaphorically) and we were thirsty(literally).  I can't say enough good things about this Merrillville team.  I wish the Pirates and Coach Maldonado the best of luck this season and I can't wait for the next battle.

what class does Sean McMurray have were he can do all these posts in? ; )

Take care of business your Freshman - Junior years and life can be good when your a Senior!!!!! He better enjoy it now, the game changes next year!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.