IHSAA rule change rumor

TripleB

A wrestler does have to have the six  qualified weigh-ins before the sectional seeding meeting. However in the case of a wrestler that come out late it was possible to get a waiver from the IHSAA. See the rule below from the IHSAA winter bulletin.

IX ELIGIBILITY OF PARTICIPANTS

A. Prior to the sectional seeding meeting each contestant shall meet the following special eligibility requirements:

1. To enter in his/her weight class he/she must have achieved a minimum of 6 qualified weigh-ins throughout the regular season as

prescribed in the 2008-09 Weigh-In Regulations that can be found at www.ihsaa.org or www.ihsaa.net. NOTE: A weigh-in at a multiple dual

or tournament shall be counted as 1 weigh-in of the required six even if the tournament contains more than 1 day of wrestling.

2. The above requirements shall not be reduced without expressed written consent of the IHSAA.

If a wrestler came out at such a time that left only four or five qualified weigh-ins  I think the IHSAA would have given the expressed written consent. I have never had to ask for that consent but the chance was there to get it if you needed it.

bbulldog152, in you example of the JV 171 moving up to 189 for the sectional he would have been ok on the 25% rule if he had wrestled a full JV schedule. The rule does not say the wrestle must wrestle varsity for 25% of your schedule, just 25% of the authorized season contests. The  authorized number of contests is eighteen dual meets in addition to the state tournament series; or

b. Additional tournaments may be scheduled up to a maximum of seven provided each tournament.  If your JV 171 had wrestled in five duel meets or one duel meet and two tournaments or three duel meets and one tournament at the JV level he would be ok to wrestle at the sectional under the new rule.

just a thought, but i'll bet there are a few legal minds that would claim that weighing in is participating, the rule doesn't state anything about physically doing anything.

That may be true, a benchwarmer is technically "participating" in the team. The IHSAA may have to clarify this further.

I think you have to actually wrestle (varsity or JV) 25% of the season. lets say my school wrestles 12 meets including a JV tourney if i'm understanding the rules they only have to participate in 3(25% of 12) meets even if that's 3 matches as long as they get their 6 weighinns... and they can get waivers too

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.