UFC 99

Drooke

UFC 99: Franklin vs. Silva

Date: Jun 13, 2009

Venue: Lanxess Arena

Broadcast: Pay per view (DSF in Germany)

MAIN CARD (televised)

Rich Franklin vs. Wanderlei Silva

Heath Herring vs. Cain Velasquez

Ben Saunders vs. Mike Swick

Marcus Davis vs. Dan Hardy

Spencer Fisher vs. Caol Uno

PRELIMINARY CARD (un-televised)

Justin Buchholz vs. Terry Etim

Dale Hartt vs. Denis Siver

Peter Sobotta vs. Paul Taylor

Roli Delgado vs. Paul Kelly

Denis Stojnic vs. Stefan Struve

Mustapha al Turk vs. Todd Duffee

John Hathaway vs. Rick Story

meh

• 1 month later...

Not a bad card but they are saving the real fire power until UFC 100 obviously.  In my view this may be the last chance for the loser of Franklin or Silva to be a main eventer.  Their name may still help them but more a test before moving another fighter to the top of the weight class.  The loser may even be mid-card land or even out if one gets dominated.  Sad to see a decent fighters drop from the spotlight but I guess thats the evolution of the sport.  You slip a little and someone is there to take your place. I'm guessing Herring will be heading to mid-card land tor out if he goes down too.  At this point in time if your not on a hot streak and/or have a marketable name your dropping way down the depth chart if you lose two fights over short amount of time.

I'm with you on Herring, Matt.  It seems pretty obvious that the UFC signed him to a muti-fight deal thinking that he was going to shore up the Heavy Class.

If not I would have dropped him after his dismal performance vs. Jake. 

It could be a win win though.  I would imagine he is ready to go back to Japan.

LOL!!!  Matt, I just found this while checking out some sites.................

Heath Herring out of UFC 99, replacement to be named on Wednesday

by Dann Stupp on May 19, 2009 at 10:40 pm ET

UFC heavyweight Heath Herring (28-14 MMA, 2-3 UFC) has been forced out of next month's UFC 99 fight with Cain Velasquez (5-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC) due to an injury.

That's the word from UFC officials, who stated a replacement will be named on Wednesday.

UFC 99 takes place June 13 at the Lanxess Arena in Colgone, Germany. The Herring vs. Velasquez bout had been slated as the night's co-headliner to a main event of Rich Franklin vs. Wanderlei Silva.

According to MMA FanHouse, which first broke the news earlier today, Herring was forced off the card not due to an injury but instead due to an illness that's kept him out of training for the past few weeks.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) could not immediately reach Herring, who recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio he was excited to fight one of the sport's top prospects.

"When they (UFC officials) call me up, they say, 'I think this would be a good fight,'" Herring said. "And I say, 'Alright, let's do it.' That's pretty much how I work. I'm probably the easiest guy to matchup.

"I don't get tomato cans. I've had a rough road. I think at the end of the day, I like it."

Herring was scheduled to fight for the first time in 10 months. His most recent octagon appearance left him a bruised and battered mess after 15 minutes with current UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar, who won a lopsided unanimous decision.

Velasquez, meanwhile, is seeking his fourth straight win in the UFC. Previous bouts with Denis Stojnic, Jake O'Brien and Brad Morris have all ended in TKO victories for the American Kickboxing Academy product.

Although no official announcement has been made, a possible opponent for Velasquez is Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic (24-6-2 MMA, 1-2 UFC), who recently announced his return to the UFC, possibly at UFC 99. Although expected to replace Todd Duffee (4-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) in a preliminary-card bout with Mustapha Al Turk (6-4 MMA, 0-1 UFC), the Croatian-born Filipovic could instead take Herring's spot on the UFC 99 main card while keeping the Duffee vs. Al Turk bout in tact.

I would actually really like to see a "healthy and focused" Cro Cop vs Velasquez.

I read about half of the article and was already thinking they should just bump CroCop up to face Cain.  My view still remains the same as it did with Herring though.  If CroCop doesn't at least preform well he may not get to many more looks in the future either.  He says he's back in shape and ready to go, but we will see what he has left in him against Cain V. whose got a good streak going. 

Not sure what to think of Kong.  He's very up and down when it comes to his preformances in fights.  I can't tell from event to event if he's on the brink of breaking through to the upper levels or falling through the cracks.  I'd rather see CroCop in this one.  I think you either put CroCop near the top of an event because of his name recognition or just sent him out to pasture.  He doesn't really do anyone involved much good as a mid-card fighter.

If memory serves me correctly Jake shot on cain and was promptly put into a crucifix position. Cain then rained down blows to the head until the fight was stopped. I didn't last very long.

If memory serves me correctly Jake shot on cain and was promptly put into a crucifix position. Cain then rained down blows to the head until the fight was stopped. I didn't last very long.

Sounds about right.  Jake actually did have some decent stand up going for the first part of the fight but Cain was ready and waiting for Jake to try and take it to the ground. 

Highly-touted heavyweight prospect Cain Velasquez was all set to face the toughest test of his young career, preparing to collide with grizzled MMA veteran, Heath Herring, in the co-main event at UFC 99: ?The Comeback? on June 13.

But a funny thing happened on the way to the Lanxess Arena in Cologne, Germany: ?The Texas Crazy Horse? pulled up lame, forcing the promotion ? and Velasquez ? to switch gears on the fly and plug-in a formidable opponent capable of finding out what the wrestling powerhouse from Arizona State University is truly made of.

Enter Cheick Kongo.

?The French Sensation? is coming off a second round technical knockout victory over Antoni Hardonk at UFC 97 just last month. He has won his last three fights since losing a split decision to the aforementioned Herring. His confidence has more than likely never been higher.

Talk about a tall (and rather imposing) order ? and he has just three weeks to try and figure out how to fill it.

We had the chance to briefly catch up with the soft-spoken Velaquez between training sessions earlier today. He talked to us about his new opponent, the Lesnar-Mir fight, the addition of Mirko ?Cro Cop? to the fight card and much more.

Check it out:

Brian Oswald: The big news this week was that Heath Herring had to pull out of your UFC 99 fight. The UFC replaced Heath Herring with Cheick Kongo. How do you feel about your new opponent and will it change your strategy with little more than three weeks to go?

Cain Velazquez: I feel good about my new opponent. At this stage, I think he is a tougher opponent. I thought he was in line for a title shot next so that makes me feel good. I will definitely have to change up my gameplan now.

He has a long reach and is very strong fighter. He has improved his take down defense. I will be really focused on my take downs and also working to sharpen my kickboxing skills. Overall, I want to be fast, explosive and just stay calm out there.

Brian Oswald: Cheick Kongo is known for his aggressive stand up game. Kongo is also known for having a suspect ground game. Will you exploit this right away and look to take Kongo to the ground or will you stand and trade with him to start the fight?

Cain Velazquez: We will see how the fight goes. I will start with a stand up fight and see how that goes. The fight will end up on the ground if it needs to. His defense has gotten a lot better but I am a phenomenal wrestler. I am going to make Kongo work for everything in this fight.

Brian Oswald: There?s a rumor floating around that Kongo was promised the first shot at the winner of the UFC 100 title unification bout between Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir if he can get past you June 13. If you beat Kongo, do you feel that puts you in line for a title shot over guys like Shane Carwin or the Randy Couture-Antonio Noguiera winner?

Cain Velazquez: I don?t think about that. I just have to go out there and win this fight. Whatever the UFC decides to do with the next title contender is their call. That being said, if they ask me, I will definitely be ready for my title shot.

Brian Oswald: Dana White has confirmed Croatian heavyweight superstar, Mirko ?Cro Cop,? will make his Octagon return on the same UFC 99 fight card against Mustapha Al-Turk. Would you have rather fought a legend in the sport like Cro Cop or do you prefer a surging superstar like Cheick Kongo?

Cain Velazquez: I think Cheick is the perfect opponent for me right now. He is surging ? he is at the top of his game right now. He has a three game winning streak going into this fight. I think adding Cro Cop made that fight card that much more exciting though.

Brian Oswald: How is your training coming along? What is your workout regimen like with little more than three weeks to go before your big UFC 99 fight?

Cain Velazquez: It is going good. I am doing three a days. I lift in the morning. I have training during the day and also night training. I add in a run between those work outs. Training is going good ? I am working real hard right now. About a week before the fight I will slow things down and go into rest mode. It will basically be the week I am out in Germany.

Brian Oswald: Are you going to predict a winner for Lesnar vs. Mir. And do you have a preference as to who you fight?

Cain Velazquez: I honestly think it is a toss up. Frank Mir has beat Lesnar once. And he looked very sharp against Nogueira. Brock is still new to the sport but he is spending so much time in the gym. He has obviously gotten better. I think it will it be an exciting fight. I really can?t predict a winner yet.

As far as whom I fight, I will fight either one.

Brian Oswald: Thanks for stepping away from your training to speak with us. We look forward to your fight with Cheick Kongo at UFC 99.

• 3 weeks later...

Wanderlei Silva spoke with Marcelo Alonso and Guilherme Cruz on his UFC 99 bout against Rich Franklin, old rivalries and new friends.

Sherdog.com: How has your training gone for this fight against Rich Franklin?

Silva: I know this fight will be really important in my career. I need to win this fight and I trained hard for that. I was supported by many top sparring partners, most of them bigger than me. Names like Fabrício Werdum, Forrest Griffin, Vitor Vianna, Mike Whitehead, Heath Herring. They made me feel pretty comfortable for this fight. I respect Franklin a lot. He is a great fighter, but I just see three results for this fight: I knock him out, he knocks me out or it?s going to be a really bloody fight. Definitely it?s not going to be a moderate fight. I?m prepared for a war. I hope he hits me right in the beginning because it makes me mad, and when it happens, I go to break my opponent. I respect him a lot, but I need to win and I will fight for that.

Sherdog.com: You are back with Rafael Cordeiro. Mauricio Shogun is also training again with your former coaches at Chute Boxe. How do analyze this return to origins?

Silva: I think it?s a good thing. Cunha is a great teacher. People don?t know Cunha?s life story. It was Cunha who gave me my first class at the gym, gave me my blue belt. ? His class was at 7:30 a.m., and you didn?t have anywhere to sit on the mat. He teaches very well, a great guy, and everybody knew he would knock his opponent out with knees in his fights. Shogun made an excellent choice. (Cunha) is a great coach, just like Rafael. They?re from the same school and have basically the same qualities. What makes us (return to former trainers) is that we know they?re great teachers and we?ll be well supported in any situation.

Sherdog.com: Last month in an interview Rudimar Fedrigo invited former rivals Ricardo Arona and Paulo Filho to train at Chute Boxe. What do you think about that?

Silva: I think it?s a smart invite because Arona and Paulão are two (great) athletes. Arona is a strong guy, undefeated at ADCC, and Paulão is the same. He has some problems, but he?s a great athlete. I invite them to train here too. If they come here, I can set up fights for them by tomorrow. It?s a great business, and who wouldn?t like having a guy like Arona or Paulão in training? (Rudimar) is a very smart guy. And I say it about training itself because training with guys like them is great. I have this new mentality (about) having them to train with me here, and the doors of my gym are open. I have a house here where I rent the rooms for the guys who come here to train. You have a house, food ? to come here and pay for a hotel room is out of the question, right?

Sherdog.com: How do you think it would be training with Filho and Arona on your team?

Silva: I think it?d be normal. Everybody is professional. I had my rivalry with Arona, but it was a misunderstanding, it?s the past, and it gave us good MMA moments. It was a pretty good rivalry. I had anger for him and he (for me), and then we had two great fights, good entertainment for the fans, but it?s the past. We actually met once in a hotel (lobby) and he came to me and shook my hand. That?s why we can?t do wrong things. He came to talk to me, and I was ashamed of acting the wrong way about him. He?s a good guy and I think he should open his eyes and come back to fighting soon because this time off isn?t good. We (lose media attention), and it becomes even harder. Time passes. We?re getting older and we need to do it now because when it passes, it?s over. And Paulão also, the gym is here with the doors open for him. When he comes back to fight here, he can bring his coaches to stay here. If he wants to train with my guys, it would be an honor. He?s having a personal problem now, and we hope he can get out of that and be smart to learn good things from all that and use this experience for other athletes, because others can pass through what he?s passing through now.

Sherdog.com: What do you think about this time Arona has been out? He says he wants to fight in the UFC, but the event doesn?t want him. Do you think he should fight for other events before earning this chance in the UFC?

Silva: That?s the only way. For example, André Galvão is doing the right thing, fought in Canada, had an excellent fight in Japan against a tough guy (John Alessio). A guy like him who loses so much weight to fight is very strong. ? (Galvão) signed with Strikeforce, and when he gets the belt, he?ll sign with the UFC. With that, he?ll get more experienced. These are the only ways to go to the UFC. Besides having the name to come to the UFC, Arona hasn?t fought for a long time and it?s harder. I think he should fight in other events, do one, two, five, 10 fights. If he wins 10 fights, I doubt he wouldn?t come to the UFC.

Sherdog.com: Would you put André Galvão as one of the Dream GP?s favorites?

Silva: With the time André passed with us here, we spoke and trained a lot. He loves to fight, man. He doesn?t fear being punched and, when he does get punched, he keeps going forward. Some guys from jiu-jitsu close their eyes while exchanging punches; Galvão doesn?t. He doesn?t fear taking punches. He?s getting better and better in striking and is very strong. He?s great. I?m very proud of his performance. I think he?ll be the UFC champion two years from now.

Sherdog.com: And Thiago ?Pitbull? Alves against Georges St. Pierre?

Silva: Pitbull came here for a week and asked to train in my gym. He?s a great guy, came from nothing. When I saw that guy punching and kicking the bag here, brother, holy ***potty mouth***. This guy is very strong; he?s like a horse. I think that if he trains a lot of takedown defenses, because GSP will try to take him down, and comes with a good cardio, because St. Pierre will try to tire him and take this fight to the final rounds, he has everything to beat GSP. St. Pierre is a good guy, but Thiago is a fantastic person. I?m a huge fan of his fights. He?s extremely exciting. I saw him doing some punches here and ***potty mouth***, man. He only needs to hit you once.