What's better Individual or Team State Wrestling Tournament??

nearfall_3

Hello,

I think it would be great to read insights on both the indiv. and team state wrestling tournaments. More wrestling is good news to everybody and having a extra weekend of wrestling for team state gives everybody something to look forward to. Infact, who wants to see the sudden end to the wrestling season anyway.

So, whats better team or indiv state. I like the team state format and hope IN keeps the same format with this traditional wrestling tournament for the next several decades.

Good wrestling to all....

Good luck

The team state tournament has been a great addition to our sport.  I've been to the team state tournament many times to watch and the atmosphere is always amazing.

However, I feel the individual state tournament is better.  My biggest reasoning behind this is that around 80 schools get to be a part of it.  Whether it's coaching, competing, or cheering on a teammate at Conseco, many more people get the excitement of being involved. 

Only 8 schools get that opportunity at team state.  And many of the other 300 schools feel that they don't even have a chance at ever getting that opportunity because of stronger programs in the way that they honestly don't have much chance of beating.

As some one new to wrestling I have mixed feelings. I love the individual state, it's amazing to see the excitement drawn to each match by the wrestlers, but if you have a team at state it's a full hour+ of excitment........I guess it depends on your situation.

The team state finals if more exciting than the first 3 round of individual state because each match means so much to something bigger than just the kids on the mat. Plus you often find yourself rooting for a team in every team matchup, therefore with all the close matches, almost every match has implications for who you are wanting to win.

However, that being said, nothing beats the championship round at state.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.