MD:Delta

Delta was a dynasty in the early 80's, but then faded away.  Will MD return to the top of the podium in a couple of years?  I think MD will continue to have a strong program in the foreseable future, return to Team State, and win some more championships.  No disrespect to Delta with a great history.

In my opinion, the long term success of a program is based upon the quality of the coaching along with the support of the community.  I haven't the slightest idea what happened with Delta, but I suspect that a coach left or the program did not receive proper support.

I don't see the MD community abandoning wrestling, so it will depend on the coaching.  My bet is that they will rise.

Coach Don Patton after the 1986 season. The school didn't want to be known as a "wrestling school". Went outside the program to replace him, downhill ever since. Everything is pushed towards football now. Just heard yesterday that David Locke, one of the greats from Delta, was quietly run out of youth program, after one year, so current coach can do it his way (don't know the validity of this). As long as that is the attitude, you won't see Delta return any time soon. Sad, very sad. I wish MD all the best in rebuilding.

from what i here the delta coach wants to do it his way so he gets the credit if he get it turned around seems like if people like locke was wanted to help he would be welcome hopfully the get turned around.

I had a long conversation with Mr. Locke at a freestyle practice last year.  I was very excited (first) to meet him and (second) to see that he wanted to be involved.

He told me that his involvement would be limited due to having a child that was handicapped.  He did not explain the details, and frankly, it isn't mine or anyone else's business.

Get your facts straight before you start slamming me or anyone else involved with my program.  I'm sorry that former wrestlers from this program don't like the way things have gone before I got here, but there's nothing I can do about that except build for the future.

Coach Ryan,

As I stated in my post, I was not sure of the validity of what I heard. I am glad to hear it is not acurate. From what I hear you are bringing a lot of exitement to the youth. Keep it up. There is nothing I would like to see more than Delta back on top. I wish you the best.

I think they will continue their success and contend for the title.  They have a great feeder program and some very talented young wrestlers.  There have been many years when MD did not do so great individually, but they are always strong as a team (which will give you a shot at a team state title).  Delta never had that opportunity.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.