Class Wrestling?????

devildog47959

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My one question is how will class wrestling ensure that each team will get more kids to come out for wrestling?

More exposure of the sport at the small school level will help the sport grow at that level.  You would increase the number of state qualifiers by 75% and have a greater variety of teams represented deeper into the state tournament.

Weight classes even the playing field... I coach at a 5A school that has had success and just qualified 3 to state and our numbers are down just like most of the schools in Indiana.. Small schools arent the only schools lacking numbers.. Talked to another Big school coach that had multiple kids down at Semi-State and he said the same thing (that their numbers were down under 20).. It is a struggle for all schools.. Not just the small ones..

Just giving you my bread and butter example Y2 lol..  : ;D we should have 50-60 kids in our room since we have had success and exposure from having kids at state and placing the past 3-4 years.. But just like alot of other big schools and small schools, our numbers are down..

Actually I really do not know if it has helped the basketball teams around indiana get better.. The high school i graduated from (Anderson) still beats the small schools by 30-50 points.. The small schools may win state and we (Anderson) may get to regional, but we still blow the small schools out.. So has the players got much better? Probably not.. I would venture to think that they have gotten worse.. Anderson is nowhere close to how good as we were when there was no class basketball, but we still blow out the small school regularly.. Just giving you an example that I am familiar with

Anderson has lost to NCC schools in the sectional/regional the past years.. Back when we were really really good we were the cream of our conference and probably would not have lost to those schools in the post season.. Even back then we had 3-4 schools that were the same size as Anderson in our Sectional, followed by other schools our size in our regional.. I dont think we dominated because we were playing small schools in the first round of sectionals, i think we dominated because we had really really good teams.. Nationally ranked teams..

An example of how the teams have not got better even with making basketball classed.. The argument is making sports classed will make our wrestlers better right? My example shows that in my area of the state, classing basketball has not made the small schools better at all.. We are good/decent in basketball because of tradition not because of size of school.. When every kid in the school wants to be on the basketball team, its hard not to be good.. That leaves our wrestling teams struggling to get kids out.. Which is a reason that I say that big schools struggle to get numbers as well as small schools.. If you want more kids to place at state and more schools to win a team state title or go to team state than just say that is the reason why you want classed wrestling.. But dont jump to the conclusion that class wrestling will make more kids come out and magically make our teams bigger and our kids better wrestlers, because with the basketball example in my area of the state that is not what the result has been..

Its hard for me to say big schools are at an advantage around the Ft Wayne area with the popularity of wrestling in small school communities like Adams County. South Side, Snider, Northrop, Homestead, and Northside are are 5A and got a total of 2 kids through.  South Adams is 1A.  Because of some very hard work and community involvement they have 3 going down to state.  I don't know of any big Fort Wayne schools sending this many down mainly because wrestling is not as popular there.

Just catching up from being off yeaterday. I just read about 12 small school kids making it out at at Merrilleville. My figures say a much different thing.

Start of the day                        qualifiers

5A     110                                      37

4A      47                                         6

3A       23                                        4

2A       29                                        8   (5 delphi)

A          17                                         1

SIZE                                  QUALIFIERS

A-                                                  7                       

2A-                                            10

3A=                                          17

4A-                                            12

5A-                                            10

My numbers for FW say that 2A qualified as many as 5A!  So of the spots not taken by 3A, Single A took 44% and 5A took 56%.  What a travesty!!

SIZE                                   QUALIFIERS

2A-                                             10

3A=                                           17

4A-                                             12

5A-                                             10

My numbers for FW say that 2A qualified as many as 5A!  So of the spots not taken by 3A, Single A took 44% and 5A took 56%.  What a travesty!!

This is a good indicator that class wrestling is not really needed for the INDIVIDUAL portion of the state tournament.

I still think the TEAM portion is a different story.

SIZE                                   QUALIFIERS

2A-                                             10

3A=                                           17

4A-                                             12

5A-                                             10

This is a good indicator that class wrestling is not really needed for the INDIVIDUAL portion of the state tournament.

I still think the TEAM portion is a different story.

Agreed.

kroyleachim that is a good idea.. I am a firm believer that playstations and the x-box and or video games in general are a major reason for the lack of participation in sports and physical activity in general.. Kids are too into those things to totally commit to a sport or even be interested in a sport at a young age..

So is this website another crusade for reclassifying sports like the football website?  A moderator with a mission?  In football, they want to divide private and parochial schools off and now we're talking about going class in wrestling.  Someone on here pointed out that basketball has never come close to the Damon Bailey pinnacle since class basketball.  Consider that Indiana has put more kids in the NBA in the last few years than ever and the fact that high school hoops didn't eclipse the Bailey years might be even more disappointing.  Point being that we've had unreal talent in basketball and yet under the class system, the interest and excitement is down.  Extrapolate that to wrestling and I can't see how this discussion is being held.  

Hopefully, this is focused on the team tournament only, because I don't see how it can make any sense on the individual side (more kids in the wrestling room for practice I guess).  Hey, though, I bet Griffith would have won a couple class titles and Tsirtis, Hernandez, Escobedo would have loved to be standing on the littler podium next to the 5A guys.  And Mater Dei kids would be on the 2A podium as the 2nd or 3rd best champion.

Indiana wrestling seems to be pretty healthy.  Crowds are generally pretty good, although some teams clearly stack the deck in that regard and as long as they're there it helps.  More kids seem to be going to Indiana colleges and other good wrestling schools and doing well, and Indiana and Purdue seem to be getting better on average.  Am I missing something that says this thing is broken and needs fixing?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.