My thoughts on the Castle regional.

md85

I got to be honest, I realize a lot of it is just his personality, but jeez. Harmon is very animated, is baited by, and plays to the crowd. I heard Harmon yell at fans last year at team regional. I hear him say things aloud that are intended for the other wrestler and coaches to hear that I feel are very bush league. While I'm on the Harmon subject, how does the South Spencer coaching staff feel about competing with Harmon for coaching time? Harmon hovers the side of the mat and coaches his son. Everyone coaching against his son should see that Harmon is put in the stands. Just be a proud cheering father instead of a desperate looking one. If the South Spencer coaches aren't capable (it appears they are), why not send his son to Castle?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, its a sign that Castle is on top when all the other teams are cheering when they lose, although, for some reason it was only during the 112 match in the finals, i didn't see anything else happen during the other matches.  maybe everyone was cheering because it was a good match, or maybe since the guy that left who was not in any way connected with either mater dei or castle or princeton had left and wasn't around. 

honestly, i thought coach harmon actually was laughing about it all, in a way, i think it proves to him that castle is on top right now, which they are.

I would like to think that next week at semi-state we can all cheer for our regional whether its reitz, castle, MD, princeton, etc.

I am sure Coach Harmon does laugh about it all...Not so much because it validates anything about his team, but more because it proves how petty and fickle people can be.   Why worry at all about the little people?   Even if there is an entire gym full of them? 

I have the qualifiers as follows:

Castle 11

Mater Dei 8

Reitz 7

Mt Vernon 5

Memorial 4

Tell City 3

If I missed some - I apologize, can't always read my own handwriting! 

Bluebolt - I think MD had (9) SSQ.

Appell

Schroeder

Henderson

Weinzapel

Sims

Zenoether

Easterling

Boots

Kercher

First off, its a sign that Castle is on top when all the other teams are cheering when they lose, although, for some reason it was only during the 112 match in the finals, i didn't see anything else happen during the other matches.  maybe everyone was cheering because it was a good match, or maybe since the guy that left who was not in any way connected with either mater dei or castle or princeton had left and wasn't around. 

honestly, i thought coach harmon actually was laughing about it all, in a way, i think it proves to him that castle is on top right now, which they are.

I would like to think that next week at semi-state we can all cheer for our regional whether its reitz, castle, MD, princeton, etc.

I am sure Coach Harmon does laugh about it all...Not so much because it validates anything about his team, but more because it proves how petty and fickle people can be.   Why worry at all about the little people?   Even if there is an entire gym full of them? 

I have the qualifiers as follows:

Castle 11

Mater Dei 8

Reitz 7

Mt Vernon 5

Memorial 4

Tell City 3

If I missed some - I apologize, can't always read my own handwriting! 

Bluebolt - I think MD had (9) SSQ.

Appell

Schroeder

Henderson

Weinzapel

Sims

Zenoether

Easterling

Boots

Kercher

Ahhh... I missed Boots...  Like I said, Sometimes I can't read my own hand writing!  Thanks...

I got to be honest, I realize a lot of it is just his personality, but jeez. Harmon is very animated, is baited by, and plays to the crowd. I heard Harmon yell at fans last year at team regional. I hear him say things aloud that are intended for the other wrestler and coaches to hear that I feel are very bush league. While I'm on the Harmon subject, how does the South Spencer coaching staff feel about competing with Harmon for coaching time? Harmon hovers the side of the mat and coaches his son. Everyone coaching against his son should see that Harmon is put in the stands. Just be a proud cheering father instead of a desperate looking one. If the South Spencer coaches aren't capable (it appears they are), why not send his son to Castle?

You know I find it humorous that people buy into the whole preception of Coach Harmon.  Yes he is one intense individual and demanding beyond all belief at times.  But you know, he manages to get the very best out of his wrestlers not only as athletes, but as citizens also. 

And since your on the subject of his son and all that - which is REALLY none of your business - If the younger Harmon choses to listen to his father over his coaches, so beit.  Ever think that his coaches may be OK with the whole arrangement?  What I saw yesterday, in the match with a very tough Andy Kast of Tell City, was Zeke Harmon look to his father, and his father tell him "You chose - but be ready to WRESTLE with what you chose".  How much more fatherly do you want?  He left the decision to his son, who is more than capable of making the decision by the way, and encouraged him. 

If anything Coach Harmon is guilty of one thing...Being REAL.  So hate him if you like.  I think the guy actually prefers it.

You know I find it humorous that people buy into the whole preception of Coach Harmon.   Yes he is one intense individual and demanding beyond all belief at times.   But you know, he manages to get the very best out of his wrestlers not only as athletes, but as citizens also.   

And since your on the subject of his son and all that - which is REALLY none of your business - If the younger Harmon choses to listen to his father over his coaches, so beit.   Ever think that his coaches may be OK with the whole arrangement?   What I saw yesterday, in the match with a very tough Andy Kast of Tell City, was Zeke Harmon look to his father, and his father tell him "You chose - but be ready to WRESTLE with what you chose".   How much more fatherly do you want?  He left the decision to his son, who is more than capable of making the decision by the way, and encouraged him.   

If anything Coach Harmon is guilty of one thing...Being REAL.   So hate him if you like.  I think the guy actually prefers it.

Oh Coach Harmon. I loved this guy as a coach and i will testify that he can get the best out of any wrestler who is devoted enough and disciplined. As for Zeke, he chooses to listen to his father because he pushes him harder. I have talked with zeke as he use to stop by the room with his mom. He CHOSE to go to south spencer so he could be with his friends (as they live in south spencer). And i am sure there is a great deal of respect between South Spencer and Castle and i am sure coach harmon is allowed to coach his own son. Its zeke's choice and he obviously made it.

I have no doubt that harmon plays the crowd like you said (i am in college and this is my way of finding out) he has always done that. And caslte and mater dei always seem to go at eachother, but the parents need to stay out of it and just let the wrestlers decide it on the mat. ITS THEIR CARRERE AND RIVALRY NOT YOURS. STOP LIVING YOUR LIFE THROUGH YOUR KID.

Uh oh....be careful talking up that Stein kid!  I got my head ripped off for it earlier this year!     jk....he is going to be one to watch thoughout the rest of the tournament and over the next two years!

I guess you have to be from Mishawaka, Castle, Reitz or MD to get any love here huh?

Stein doesn't need anyone on a message board talking him up, the work is done on the mat and hopefully this weekend he proves that!

Some of us are more than willing to recognize talnet no matter where it comes from!  Stein has the skills to take him where ever he cares to go BUT 152 is a loaded weight class where ANYONE can pull out the win this year!

Uh oh....be careful talking up that Stein kid!  I got my head ripped off for it earlier this year!     jk....he is going to be one to watch thoughout the rest of the tournament and over the next two years!

I guess you have to be from Mishawaka, Castle, Reitz or MD to get any love here huh?

Stein doesn't need anyone on a message board talking him up, the work is done on the mat and hopefully this weekend he proves that!

Some of us are more than willing to recognize talnet no matter where it comes from!   Stein has the skills to take him where ever he cares to go BUT 152 is a loaded weight class where ANYONE can pull out the win this year!

BlueBolt,

I agree 100%, I was just referring to hm being ripped for talking up Drake. Drake has been a dedicated wrestler for a long time and has put in a lot of work to get to where he is at. Like I said before being from Princeton and seeing many articles on this kid from his middle school years I know he is the real deal. Hopefully he will have continued success and bring us a state title (1st since 1998)...

Good luck to all wrestlers out of the Castle regional as I will be rooting for them all!

Eleanor  160

For some odd reason I think I know that guy ;D

Eleanor: I've been talking about Stein (and Gris) since they were 6th graders!! They both wrestle way beyond their years.

Both my daughters (14 and 13) were talking about Drake's talent in other extra curricular activities that he participates in at PCHS.

Being a Princeton grad and Hazletonian: Why does the announcer at Castle refer to Princeton as Princeton High School vs Princeton Community HS...my feelings are hurt. LOL

JB

Eleanor  160

Eleanor: I've been talking about Stein (and Gris) since they were 6th graders!! They both wrestle way beyond their years.

Both my daughters (14 and 13) were talking about Drake's talent in other extra curricular activities that he participates in at PCHS.

Being a Princeton grad and Hazletonian: Why does the announcer at Castle refer to Princeton as Princeton High School vs Princeton Community HS...my feelings are hurt. LOL

JB

I was really impressed with Stien, but I think Jon H is right he looks like he still in the 6th grade. 

Eleanor  160

JB

I was really impressed with Stien, but I think Jon H is right he looks like he still in the 6th grade. 

I will say that Stein does appear to be very young (Babyface) but this may play to advantage! Looks to be an interesting weekend, I cannot wait to go and watch!

Eleanor  160

JB

I am not sure why he refers to them as Princeton High and not Princeton Community! I am sure Jon Abbey (PCHS Principal) will get it right this weekend at Roberts Stadium. I hope he does anyway!

Eleanor  160

JB

I am not sure why he refers to them as Princeton High and not Princeton Community! I am sure Jon Abbey (PCHS Principal) will get it right this weekend at Roberts Stadium. I hope he does anyway!

You mean it's not Gibson Northern High School?  ;-)

Princeton and Gibson Southern have consistantly produced GREAT wrestlers that have represented our corner of the state VERY well.

Eleanor  160

JB

You mean it's not Gibson Northern High School?   ;-)

Princeton and Gibson Southern have consistantly produced GREAT wrestlers that have represented our corner of the state VERY well.

I will say Coach Maglis does an excellent job. This guy coached me in elementary wrestling when he was a junior or senior in high school. I heard him talking about wrestling tonight at halftime of the Tigers BB game. Does an excellent job with the HS program and attends / runs the elementary program that my son is currently active in. Introduced all SS qualifiers tonight before the matches in front of the young boys, hopefully some of them have dreams to be standing there someday!

I will say Coach Maglis does an excellent job. This guy coached me in elementary wrestling when he was a junior or senior in high school. I heard him talking about wrestling tonight at halftime of the Tigers BB game. Does an excellent job with the HS program and attends / runs the elementary program that my son is currently active in. Introduced all SS qualifiers tonight before the matches in front of the young boys, hopefully some of them have dreams to be standing there someday!

He has done a fine job at Princeton!  I am a believer in the kids "Giving Back" to the program by teaching the younger kids.  It is a duty to pass on their knowledge and skill in my book.  You would not believe how much a wrestler can learn about his own style and techniques by coaching the youth teams.  The inspiration of the young ones is huge also!

The princeton coach may hold the record for the fastest walk to the scorer's table.   :D  He wastes no time but it is technically a walk and not a run.  I love it!!

He does get himself where he wants to be with a minimum of wasted time and movement doesn't he!

He is doing a fine job up there!

Onthemat i don't know if you were at Sectionals this year or not but i heared that Harmon step down from his seat in the finals agianst Seitz and Harmon and stood are in the middle and coached his son. I mean i understand being a family guy. But he is the head coach and if i was Seitz i would not be happy with my coach right now. and as you can see Seitz is an amazing wrestler because he had to wrestle against is competion, his competions coaches, and his own coach. >:(

Onthemat i don't know if you were at Sectionals this year or not but i heared that Harmon step down from his seat in the finals agianst Seitz and Harmon and stood are in the middle and coached his son. I mean i understand being a family guy. But he is the head coach and if i was Seitz i would not be happy with my coach right now. and as you can see Seitz is an amazing wrestler because he had to wrestle against is competion, his competions coaches, and his own coach. >:(

I think it is safe to say that Andrew understood then and each time they have faced.   Zeke is a great kid, from a great family, and have a great coach and dad.

Besides...Andrew has some Great Coaches other that Harmon...

I think it is safe to say that Andrew understood then and each time they have faced.   Zeke is a great kid, from a great family, and have a great coach and dad.

Besides...Andrew has some Great Coaches other that Harmon...

As I'm sure you can go back and look at some of my post I've never been a big Harmon fan, but let's be real here, what would you have the guy do sit there and Coach Seitz and coach against his son. He's doing about the only thing he can, although he could physically get into the stands and away from mat that might be more accepted by all.

We couldn't make regionals this year, but after all I've heard about it, I'm glad I didn't make it. From year to year, whenever an MD kid gets beat the entire gym explodes with cheering...the kids have learned to take it in stride because they know that they're the best & everyone likes to see Goliath fall.  The Castle kids should do the same thing this year...shake it off.  Saturday is almost here and you can bet you'll see me cheering for all those MD, Reitz, Castle, Mt. Vernon (all So. IN) wrestlers...as well as those around me. 

Good luck to all the kids at Semi-State...let's leave Regionals behind and look forward...

Are you ready to rumble? I know I am!

I think the castle wrestlers and coaches took it in stride when the WHOLE gym cheered when Greismer won.  I think it was the castle fans that flew off the handle and even then, it was just a few plus the students.  In their defense, it was unexpected and they didn't know how to react.

We couldn't make regionals this year, but after all I've heard about it, I'm glad I didn't make it. From year to year, whenever an MD kid gets beat the entire gym explodes with cheering...the kids have learned to take it in stride because they know that they're the best & everyone likes to see Goliath fall.  The Castle kids should do the same thing this year...shake it off.  Saturday is almost here and you can bet you'll see me cheering for all those MD, Reitz, Castle, Mt. Vernon (all So. IN) wrestlers...as well as those around me. 

Good luck to all the kids at Semi-State...let's leave Regionals behind and look forward...

Are you ready to rumble? I know I am!

Well said MatChick a Wahoo for you.....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.