Nicola=Guida

bwoodward

Strikes, Grappling, Control, and Aggression...In that order.  That is the determination for judging.  I did not score the fight on paper but I felt that the judges where off.

Further, there is no such thing as an easy 29-28.  Often one strike or simply aggression could  be the difference in a match.  With all judges having different views of the cage the judging becomes very subjective or even pure luck for the fighter of the judges view.

I think the system is good even though the subjective nature of judging is involved.  It goes back to the old saying...don't leave it up to the refs/judges.  My opinion may not be the same as others but that is what judging and refing is about...trying to be consistant.

I would tend to agree with your comments, but what I took away was that Guida was aggressive and controlled the octagon for the first two rounds.  Guida almost never wins on strikes, so you couldn't give him that.  His wrestling/grappling was pretty good, I would say better than Diaz.  There is no question that Diaz took the last round.  We can agree to disagree.  The folks I watched the fight with had the same basic idea.  Now, we thought the scoring for the Dong fight was a little suspect, but like you say, don't leave it to the judges.