why is there not a true second at most tournaments?

demis mom

my daughter wrestled the winner of her bracket in the second round.  she lost by one point.  she had three pins and an 11-0 win.  the kid that got second got pinned in the second period.  She would have got second if given the opportunity.  instead she left with third. 

Did they do a true wrestle-back at the elementary state team qualifier tourney in Indy a few weeks ago?  I think they were taking the top 2 kids in each weight class and putting them on either Indiana Gold or Indiana Blue, so in that case a true wrestle-back situation would really be important.  Otherwise, you may draw the best in class in an early round and never have the chance to beat everyone else out for 2nd place and a spot on one of the teams.

I think in the case of most local ISWA tournaments, they do it for the sake of speeding up the tournament.  2nd/3rd is really the only placing that it would make a difference for correct?

I think in any large tournament wrestle backs would take WAY too long, but it does get frustrating at times. This past weekend in my sons bracket the three "best" wrestlers were all in the same half of the bracket so the 3rd and 4th place finishers got pushed and 2nd place never had to wrestle anyone too strong until the finals. (in which he was pinned in the first)

Did they do a true wrestle-back at the elementary state team qualifier tourney in Indy a few weeks ago?  I think they were taking the top 2 kids in each weight class and putting them on either Indiana Gold or Indiana Blue, so in that case a true wrestle-back situation would really be important. 

Yes they did. There were even a couple of split weight classes where they wrestled for a true second in each pool, then, wrestled a round-robin between the four wrestlers for a very true 1st & 2nd.

some of the brackets sunday were mind boggling.  there were three brackets in my daughters weight class.  the other two brackets din't have two team qualifiers in them or even one.  i wish now i would've let her wrestle in the team qualifier, but she hadnt wrestled very long and i just put her in the beginners.  she took first out of thirty. 

As for multiple brackets there are only allowed so many  kids per bracket so you have to split them up.  As for team qualifiers ......... when you fax in your weights or even when you go to onsite weigh ins they draw a ticket and its based off the ticket numbers., we don't know who's done what we go by the ticket number.

if there is only so many per bracket why did ben davis' have thirty kids in one bracket.  is it just based on what each tournament wants to do.  Iliked the way ben davis did it.

33 is the majic number for a split.

if there is only so many per bracket why did ben davis' have thirty kids in one bracket.  is it just based on what each tournament wants to do.  Iliked the way ben davis did it.

I believe in most cases local tourneys use the brackets that are provided by the ISWA which call for a split bracket with any weight class higher than 16 wrestlers.  In the case of Ben Davis, they used Trackwrestling which uses a different bracket system.  Wrestling for a "True Second" is done at most National Tournaments and at most state tournaments that are used as a qualifier for a national tournament or national team.  As for the ISWA Folkstyle State just wrestling in the state tournament is a qualifier for Folkstyle Nationals and placement is not an issue so wrestling back for a "True Second" is not needed.  As for local tournaments it is up to the host club on if they want to wrestle back for a "True Second" they are allowed but in our case (Franklin) we do not because of time issues. 

They do not wrestle for a true second in Fargo for either cadet, or junior. The typical weight class will have around 100 kids, they split them into 2 pools, and wrestle for placement in each pool. Then they do a cross bracket, where 1st from the top pool wrestles 1st from the bottom pool for 1st and 2nd overall, 2nd vs. 2nd for 3rd and 4th respectively, they do this through for 8th place. No true placement matches.

It is basically a blind draw, with seperation only for a few kids in each weight, which is determined by returning All-American, or placer at FILA cadet. There might be 1 or 2 other criteria used but otherwise it is blind.

The most important thing to remember is they are still kids and third place is pretty darn good! Like I tell my kids, work harder and turn the loss into a positive and build upon it. Don't dwell on the fact that "well you should have been second" praise them for their accomplishments, practice on their mistakes.  Congrats to your daughter on her accomplishments and stay positive.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.