what happens when you get DQ'd

old82

If you get disqualified during the state tournament (sectionals, regionals, etc).  Your season is over.  Happened my senior year.  I good wrestler (ranked at the time) took a swing at another wrestler.  It was in the final of sectionals.  That wrestler was ejected, all his points were forfeited and was not allowed to advance through the tourney.  Actually gave us the sectional title by a couple points.

Penaly Chart: Note 1

Disqualification due to technical violation, illegal hold, stalling, unsportsmanlike conduct during a match or unnecessary roughness does not eliminate a contestant from further competition in tournaments.  Disqualification for unsportsmanlike conduct not during the match eliminates a contestant or coach for the remainder of the event.  Disqualification for flagrant misconduct will disqualify any individual for the remainder of a multiple school event or tournament. They are removed for the duration of the event.

Also, in the event of Flagrant Misconduct, no team points may be earned and any matches priviously contested or scheduled during the event will be recognized as forfeits.

IHSAA By-laws 8-3

Any contestant or coach ejected from a contest for an unsportsmanlike act shall be suspended from the next interschool contest at that level of competition and all other interschool contests at any level in the interim, in addition to any other penalties assessed.

Old82

Here is a set of circumstances where a wrestler got dq'd at last years sectional, after the finals match. The wrestler removed his headgear after the match was over and threw it to his coach prior to shaking hands with his opponent. Hence, the first unsportsmanlike conduct. After finally shaking hands he lowered a strap on his singlet at the edge of the circle, prior to leaving the mat. This brought on the second unsportsmanlike and ultimately got him dq'd from the rest of the tournament series. He was wearing an underarmour so he did not expose any skin that was not already exposed. This wrestler finished second and could very well have advanced deep into the tournament but had to take it on the chin and try again this year.

I could talk about how petty the second unsportsmanlike call was but that does not change the facts. Power trip on behalf of the official. The incident was appealed to the IHSAA but they would not budge.

I believe we are following the same group of kids based on some of the posts you submit. Also, I agree with your predictions at 152 for the Avon Sectional. He has been on a mission since that loss! This made him a better wrestler and forced him to refocus.

A case where a wrestler was DQ'd from a match but not from the series occured when Brennan Cosgrove "slammed" Eric McGill at Regionals.  Obviously we got to see a rematch of that rivalry under the lights at Conseco.

If you get disqualified during the state tournament (sectionals, regionals, etc).  Your season is over.  Happened my senior year.  I good wrestler (ranked at the time) took a swing at another wrestler.  It was in the final of sectionals.  That wrestler was ejected, all his points were forfeited and was not allowed to advance through the tourney.  Actually gave us the sectional title by a couple points.

i think this happened to jordan martin of new prarie two years ago, but i dont think hes gonna do that this year cuz he shouldnt be on the losing end to often...sleeper at 152

app american you know exactly who I am talking about, I was there last year when that happened. I also heard that another kid from same team got dq'd in conference and was told that the team had to have 2 matches before sectionals in order to get him back on the sqaud. that is what I was referring to if that was the case. and if it is thwe case that is a shame that he will not be able to wrestle in the state tourney series. that comes down to the coach.....

The wrestler removed his headgear after the match was over and threw it to his coach prior to shaking hands with his opponent.

After finally shaking hands he lowered a strap on his singlet at the edge of the circle, prior to leaving the mat.

Power trip on behalf of the official. The incident was appealed to the IHSAA but they would not budge.

Sounds like he was just a little self discipline away from being a state champ!  8)

A case where a wrestler was DQ'd from a match but not from the series occured when Brennan Cosgrove "slammed" Eric McGill at Regionals.  Obviously we got to see a rematch of that rivalry under the lights at Conseco.

I remember that one, seemed like a ridiculous (and very unpopular with the audience) call at the time. If I remember though it was called something else so he wouldn't be completely thrown out.

I remember that one, seemed like a ridiculous (and very unpopular with the audience) call at the time. If I remember though it was called something else so he wouldn't be completely thrown out.

i don't think that they had to call it something else.  an illegal slam just forfeits that one match, and that is only if the other wrestler is unable to continue.  an unsportsman like disqualification is a completely different matter. 

i don't think that they had to call it something else.  an illegal slam just forfeits that one match, and that is only if the other wrestler is unable to continue.  an unsportsman like disqualification is a completely different matter. 

That's what it was, just an illegal slam. That was a while ago now I guess. I must be getting old. Now where is my walker...

That's what it was, just an illegal slam. That was a while ago now I guess. I must be getting old. Now where is my walker...

i know exactly what you mean. ;D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.