5 way @ Mt Vernon on Sat

Grap41

It's hard for me to focus on this tournament with MD staring us in the face tomorrow - BUT,  I am looking forward to it!   Is the rotation set?  If so, when will Reitz / Castle wrestle? 

Renegade,

You're right - 215 will be a good battle all day long with MV, Tell City, Reitz, and Castle.  I don't look for any of them to go undefeated in this stacked weight class.  189 is not far behind with North Posey, Castle, Reitz, Central and MV.

This is one VERY important meet for the SIAC teams...Castle and Reitz have not met this year, and I don't think Central and Castle have met either.

Conference seedings are going to be interesting after this weekend!

Each of the other schools bring some really quailty talent also...It will be a great time on the Far Far Westside...

Castle 5-0

Reitz 4-1

Mt. Vernon 3-2

Central 2-3

Tell City 1-4

North Posey 0-5

I have no idea how many forfeits North Posey and Tell City will have.  Central will have a couple, I would guess.  These forfeits could have a lot to do with the bottom three, if any team has more than one or two.  Mt. Vernon has one.

It will be interesting to see if Mt. Vernon wrestles their full varsity against Reitz and Castle.  I think they tanked it against Castle last year, although it would not have mattered anyway.

Does anybody know who won the following match- ups?  And score?

103:Kuhn ® vs. Castle

112:Moody® vs. Brown(Ca)

119:Johns® vs. hoehn(MV)

125:Rueger® vs. Konrath(MV)

145: Castle vs. Mt. Vernon

152: Ritter® vs. Pettijohn(Ca)

215: Froehlich(TC) vs. Ruggeri(MV), Froehlich(TC) vs. Wimpleberg®, Ruggeri(MV) vs. Wimpleberg®

and any other big matches that I am missing.

I heard that MV sat several varsity kids when they wrestled Castle.  If this is true, this would be the second year in a row that they have done so.  Any MV fan care to explain why you would purposely throw a dual meet against Castle then wrestle everyone as usual the rest of the day?  I don't know any details, but if this is true, it just sounds fishy.  You guys have  a great team. Why wouldn't you go after Castle to try to pull the upset?

I don't have any inside knowledge, but basically they know they have no chance of beating Castle and so they likely are either resting the varsity or giving the reserve guys and/or seniors a match.

As far as pulling the upset, let's be very clear.  Castle varsity would beat the Mt. Vernon varsity 100 times out of 100 times.  There is no comparison whatsoever.  Thoughts contrary to this are from a delusional mind.  I am not saying don't try, but goals have to be realistic.

It was my understanding that Konrath and Ruggeri are both suffering from significant injuries.  Meurer is coming off a nasty hand injury.  I don't know if any of them wrestled at all Saturday since no results have been posted yet.  Also, Meurer was recently beaten in a wrestle off by a freshman, so it depends on your definition of varsity.

I heard that MV sat several varsity kids when they wrestled Castle.  If this is true, this would be the second year in a row that they have done so.  Any MV fan care to explain why you would purposely throw a dual meet against Castle then wrestle everyone as usual the rest of the day?  I don't know any details, but if this is true, it just sounds fishy.  You guys have  a great team. Why wouldn't you go after Castle to try to pull the upset?

You probably heard right cut em.  They did sit some kids.  They had a kid who had recently chopped off half his finger during a class, they had a kid with an injury unknown to me but he also had ringworm and was not able to wrestle anyways.  The tournament also served as a part of the teams senior day so  (although I disagree with wrestling somebody who hasn't earned the spot) the HEAD coach decided to give some of the seniors a chance to wrestle some varsity against a team who they knew to be superior.  MV had just been handled by Reitz, and Castle had Reitz's number today.  So the chances of a regular varsity lineup against Castle still wasn't going to be good enough.  Even their new STUD (term used lightly) @171 was beaten against Castle.  I thank you for thinking that MV has a great team, at least some people recognize that.  However, the HEAD coach does not.  He has a select group of kids he recognizes and the rest of the team is political and trying to please parents.  Let the flood gates open to any MV fans who want to disagree.  For the record, I am a graduate of MV, a fan of MV and will always root for MV.  These are just my opinions from the outside looking in. 

215 Class:

Castle is a beast.  I did not see the match with Tell City but I would imagine Castle won?  Tell City beat Reitz in a close one.  Castle beat Reitz by 5.  MV did not wrestle their regular due to injury. 

119 & 125 MV vs. Reitz:

As mentioned above, MV Konrath  is coming off an inury and did not wrestle at 125.  MV bumped the 119 up to wrestle Rueger at 125 and FF to Johns at 119.  Probably not a bad strategy but I was looking forward to the Konrath / Rueger matchup.

As I stated earlier, i was not there and have only heard tidbits.  I heard Ruggeri didnt wrestle all day but then walked out to take a forfeit one time and that they totally dodged Castle but wrestled normal lineup against everyone else.  Whether all this is true or not I have no idea.  Just asking around.  It just starts to smell like somebody might be dodging people and trying to weasel into some sectional seeds by holding guys out of of certain matches.  I hope thats not the case with the new coach.  Mt. Vernons wrestling program always had tons of class when run by Coach Hamm, Coach Heckman, and recently Coach Jones. Its a shame because they do have a very good team and a great feeder system in place.  To get to the level they want to be at, they need to wrestle the best, and shouldn't be dodging anybody at this point.  I hope all of my info is wrong.  To the MV people, please take this as encouragement, not ridicule.  You have everything in place, just go out and wrestle and watch it really flourish!

215 Class:

Castle is a beast.  I did not see the match with Tell City but I would imagine Castle won?  Tell City beat Reitz in a close one.  Castle beat Reitz by 5.  MV did not wrestle their regular due to injury. 

119 & 125 MV vs. Reitz:

As mentioned above, MV Konrath  is coming off an inury and did not wrestle at 125.  MV bumped the 119 up to wrestle Rueger at 125 and FF to Johns at 119.  Probably not a bad strategy but I was looking forward to the Konrath / Rueger matchup.

215 was Castle 5  Tell City 1

The decision to wrestle who you wrestle is the coaches and ONLY the coaches.   I am sure they have their reasons for doing what they do.  

I am sure it sends messages to the kids that may or may not be accurate.  But in the end, the coach speaks - the wrestlers have to listen - and the fans have no say so.  We have all seen coaches make decisions and wonder what the heck was going on in their heads at the moment...But as the saying goes "Ours is not to reason why.  Our's is but to fight and die".   It was really great to see the Mt Vernon team support each of their wrestlers as they left the mat - regardless of if they won or lost.   That speaks to the coaches influence to these young men!

It was obviously Senior Day for Mt Vernon and I can see the coaches side of letting the Seniors have a Varsity match on their home mats.  It appears Mt Vernon has quite a large group of Seniors who have had an impressive run!   No harm in giving them their time on the mat.    

For what it's worth, the Reitz / Mt Vernon dual was the most exciting one of the day over all.   A lot of action and it was more closely contested than it may appear on paper.  This is to be expected given the relationship between Mt Vernon area and the Westside.  In the next couple of weeks, Mt Vernon will have their chance to show everyone what they are made of.  The Central Sectional will be a slugfest!

This has nothing to do with how Mt. Vernon coaches decided to handle Castle's dual. Seniors should be awarded for the time put in for their program. As a fan of the sport, I do love MV's coach's enthusiasm and it reflects to his team ;D It always has amazed many over the last few years how there are forfeits and shuffling to avoid opponents to try to better one's seeds near tourney time. I also do not understand why a coach would not let a wrestler go out to wrestle a superior opponent to try to gain valuable experience on the mat. I know some will disagree with me but I stand with my belief that a wrestler's gains far out weigh his losses by not going to the mat. I have never understood how many teams forfeit when they have plenty of wrestlers weighed in for that weight class. Someone must need mat time. A lot of reserves would love to gain varsity experience even it was being teched or pinned. Sometime in their career, every wrestler will always come across an opponent with superior skills. Maybe they will remember their first time on the mat with a superior opponent. However I do understand letting injuries heal before tourney time. I believe that injuries were somewhat of the case yesterday. If a coach feels like their wrestler can not go out and wrestle a opponent because he may possibly be beaten this week, and then have to wrestle him in a week or two again. I think that is BS. Prepare your wrestler for each match and let him possibly learn from from the experience. This has continually gotten worse in our area.

This has nothing to do with how Mt. Vernon coaches decided to handle Castle's dual. Seniors should be awarded for the time put in for their program. As a fan of the sport, I do love MV's coach's enthusiasm and it reflects to his team ;D It always has amazed many over the last few years how there are forfeits and shuffling to avoid opponents to try to better one's seeds near tourney time. I also do not understand why a coach would not let a wrestler go out to wrestle a superior opponent to try to gain valuable experience on the mat. I know some will disagree with me but I stand with my belief that a wrestler's gains far out weigh his losses by not going to the mat. I have never understood how many teams forfeit when they have plenty of wrestlers weighed in for that weight class. Someone must need mat time. A lot of reserves would love to gain varsity experience even it was being teched or pinned. Sometime in their career, every wrestler will always come across an opponent with superior skills. Maybe they will remember their first time on the mat with a superior opponent. However I do understand letting injuries heal before tourney time. I believe that injuries were somewhat of the case yesterday. If a coach feels like their wrestler can not go out and wrestle a opponent because he may possibly be beaten this week, and then have to wrestle him in a week or two again. I think that is BS. Prepare your wrestler for each match and let him possibly learn from from the experience. This has continually gotten worse in our area.

AMEN!!!!!!

Let the kids gain expirence and take a lump or two.  Pain is an EXCELLENT teacher!!!  Show them they have your confidence no matter what the odds!

The only true loss a team has is when they don't try!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.