Briar Runyan

back_points3

Good to hear, hope he's planning on wrestling there, as well.   Only a small few ever get invited to attend West Point from around the country.  In recent years many of those invited from our state have been members of the wrestling community.

From the chatter on the board it sounds like he will also be wrestling.  Not sure on the exact rule on that one since I have not heard of it before.  However, I know that some West Point students that were did not participate in the traditional sports (wrestling, track, football) or dropped from that sport while still attending West Point.  If the rule is true I'm sure they have several other none traditional sports that may also fall under the catagory of athletics in order for those students to follow that rule.

Yes, all cadets have to compete in a competive sport at West Point.  I found this on the admissions section of the website.

"The Academy provides a wide-ranging educational experience with a curriculum that grades cadet's performance across a broad academic program, mandatory participation in competitive athletics, military leadership responsibility, and a climate of moral-ethical development.

It doesn't actually go into detail on their website of what they constitute as a COMPETITIVE sport, but i am sure that intramural sports count for this requirement.

Congratulations to Mr. Runyun on his appointment. 

Not to be picky, but I believe the correct name is the United States Military Academy.  It happens to be located in West Point and as such is often referred to by that name.  It is similar to the United States Naval Academy sometimes being referred to by its geographical location of Annapolis.

It is a fantastic opportunity to receive a quality college education at no cost (all students, athletes and non-athletes are full scholarship) and serve your country after graduation.  Typically, after graduation, a five year active duty obligation is assumed after commissioning as a 2nd Lt or Ensign, depending on the branch of service.  Some warfare specialties may involve a slightly longer obligation.  However, you do get the opportunity to serve your country in a meaningful way immediately after earning a degree.

Unless it has changed, each Congressman and each U.S. Senator is allotted five appointments to each service academy at one time.  That is, they can have five students from their district/state spread among the freshmen through senior students.  That is usually one in each class and two in one of them, but due to attrition and the number of qualified applicants, they could have none in one class and more in others.  They may select by name who they want to appoint, as long as they are qualified.  However, most submit a list of 10 names that they nominate and the academies select the one or two from that list that receive the appointments.  Additionally, there are a number of Presidential appointments and a few other ways to gain entrance.  Some Congressmen do not use their appointments and those slots are left to the academies to fill as they see fit, often offering them to qualified individuals from districts where there are large numbers of worthy applicants. 

Again, unless it has changed recently, all students are required to actively participate in sporting activities throughout their four-year stay.  It may be in a varsity sport, or one of a multitude of intramural sports.  A sport is selected for each of the three seasons during the academic year.  Many of the intramural sports are very competitive.

If any other wrestlers or high school students in general, are interested in attending one of the service academies, they offer tremendous opportunities.  The application process is a bit lengthy and you need to start it early, but your guidance counselors should have information on how to proceed.  Additionally, your Congressman probably has information to help, as do the websites for each of the academies.   

Congratulations to Mr. Runyun again on his appointment.  I am confident he will have a memorable and challenging first year.  I wish him nothing but the best . . .  except of course when competing against Navy.  I can only go so far!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.