Semi-state

nutsdad

What do you think of the new rule the top 4 out of the regionals go to semi-state?

I think its a great idea, it gives the number 1 guy a warm up match plus some number 4s from 1 regional may be better then the number 1 from another!!! Its only another hour and could make for some great matches!!!

I think taking the top four from regionals is not a good idea. instead of having that extra set of matches, they should do full wrestle backs from the TICKET ROUND. A lot of people's complaints for not having wrestle backs is because it adds another round of wrestling, but by taking the top four from regionals is doing the same thing and with full wrestle backs you could almost guarantee the top four went on to state. I'm sure just about all of you know of a state quality wrestler that didnt make it out because of his draw in the ticket round.

Good one thats true he finished forth the last two years but I think he will do better this year and of course if Melif  did not get hurt last year he would not have made it to semi-state but he did wrestle great at semi-state and put himself in third and moved on to state!!!! Hopefully he goes back again this year (fingers crossed)!!!

I do not like the idea at all.  The IHSAA got it wrong again and added the 4 matches in the wrong place!  Instead of having them at the begining, why not add the 4 to get a better outcome for the third and fourth place finishers.  Besides, how many fourth place Regional placers do you think will actually win their first round match.  I bet it will be equivalant to a #16 beating a #1 or #15 beating a #2 in the NCAA B-Ball tourney.  Chances are slim to none.

Wrestlebacks would have been a better way to add an hour to semi-state.  Take for example Billy Baker last year.  Loses a close match to Stahl.  Stahl goes on to win state and Baker goes home.  I am willing to bet the bank that the top 4 guys from Fort Waybe at 189 did not make it to state last year.

Wrestlebacks would have been a better way to add an hour to semi-state.  Take for example Billy Baker last year.  Loses a close match to Stahl.  Stahl goes on to win state and Baker goes home.  I am willing to bet the bank that the top 4 guys from Fort Waybe at 189 did not make it to state last year.

Can't agree with you more!

They need to have some form of wrestle back at semi state... even if it's just by having the two guys that lost in the ticket round to the guys in the finals wrestle the two guys that lost in the semi-finals. I do agree that the new format gives the regional champs a warm up match, but i don't think they should take the top 4 out of regionals with out wrestle backs in regionals.

im agreeing with both sides here

personally, im glad that its top 4 at regionals

gives another guy a chance to go

but i also believe there should be a second wrestleback round at state

i dont like how whoever loses in the semi finals goes straight to wrestling for 3rd place

i think whoever wins the first wrestleback round should wrestle the loser of the semifinals

and that loser will wrestle for 5th place

The bad thing about this change is that the Merrillville Semi-state will be that much more crowded the beginning round.  In the past many people would wait because they didn't think the best wrestlers in the classes would be wrestling til later.  You'd better be lined up by 7:00 A.M. if you expect to get a seat for the lst round, what a shame that they don't change this venue.  How many complaints does the IHSAA have to get before they wisen up.  It doesn't help that the AD from Merrillville is on the state board. 

if u ask me 4 out of sectional and regional as well as semi-state is great but there should be true wrestle backs. alot of goods kids get upset by someone who should not beat them and then they are done 4 the year so you really cant say the best kid make it out of whatever portion on the torny it is

if u ask me 4 out of sectional and regional as well as semi-state is great but there should be true wrestle backs. alot of goods kids get upset by someone who should not beat them and then they are done 4 the year so you really cant say the best kid make it out of whatever portion on the torny it is

I agree that wrestle backs would be great.

I am not so concerned about the kids who get upset, that is part of wrestling.  You need to come out ready for every contest and should not expect to get a second shot because you were not ready.

My concern is when the draw beats you.  Since the brackets are not truly seeded, you could end up with the top three in one half of the bracket so one would not be going to state.

Example, in 2001 my oldest son was ranked 5th in the state but another regional two outstanding wrestlers, likely the two best in the Semi-state.  He faced a tough wrestler in the money round and lost.  But the #2 from his regional had a much better draw and made it to State despite the fact that my son had beaten him three times that year.

That is my only reason for thinking that wrestle backs would be a good idea.  If they don't it won't upset me too much either way.  But I do like the 4 coming from each regional.  It allows another decent wrestler to advance and allows many of the top seeds a warm-up match before teh money round.

i understand that i was ranked 8th my senior which my sectional had craig mackey ronnie kemp and myself all of which were ranked in the top 20 that was when 2 got out of sectional then first round of regional i drew clay leek  and need less to say the top 3 didnt get out of the castle regional at 112 that year

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.