Miguel Torres

Regionrat1

• 2 weeks later...

Torres Talks Bowles, Curran Hoopla and His Career Blueprint

Dec-28-2008

By Frank Curreri

Miguel Torres knows he has a bull?s eye on that sturdy back of his. He knows that fighters like Brian Bowles, Jeff Curran and Joseph Benavidez dream of doing what Manny Tapia and 34 other Torres victims have failed to do. The WEC bantamweight champ also knows that being unbeaten for the past five years, and being widely considered one of the world?s top three fighters in the world at any weight class, will be little consolation if his opponent?s hand is raised at the conclusion of Torres? next bout. That is why after annihilating Tapia earlier this month, Torres (35-1) took only three days rest before resuming his training.

In this revealing interview, the fast-talking man behind MMA?s most prominent mullet discusses the blistering jab that pulverized Tapia, the danger that Bowles poses as the division?s top contender, and the brouhaha sparked by Curran publicly parading for a crack at Torres? title.

WEC: You pretty much destroyed Manny Tapia with a crisp and punishing jab. In your three previous WEC fights you didn?t use the jab nearly as much. Is that a new go-to weapon in your repertoire?

Torres: ?I?ve actually had a game like that for a long time. Fighting in my local shows I used to fight like that a lot. I throw a lot of jabs, kind of like Lyoto Machida, a lot of strike and move. When I fought Yoshiro Maeda I was actually going to start using that jab, but when he cut me it drove me a little bit crazy and I went for the kill.

?The fight with Tapia was the perfect fight for me to showcase those skills because he was writing a check with his mouth that his body couldn?t cash. He said he wanted to come out and try to bang with me. I knew I was too tall for him to do that. I knew I had good boxing skills.?

Sorry I don't know how to paste a link to this article, but to read the rest of it go to  http://www.wec.tv/

Pretty cool read from a pretty cool and humble sounding fellow Hoosier.

• 2 weeks later...

Article from mmajunkie.com

Miguel Torres vs. Brian Bowles set to headline WEC 40 in Chicago

by John Morgan on Jan 19, 2009 at 11:40 pm ET

A long-rumored title fight between WEC bantamweight champion Miguel Torres (35-1 MMA, 4-0 WEC) and undefeated challenger Brian Bowles (7-0 MMA, 4-0 WEC) is now set for WEC 40.

Sources close to the bout notified MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that bout agreements had been issued for the as-yet-unannounced event.

WEC 40 is scheduled for April 5, and while an exact venue has not yet been determined, the event will represent the WEC's first trip to Chicago.

MMAjunkie.com first reported the possibility of a Torres vs. Bowles titile fight shortly after Bowles' submission win over Will Ribeiro at "WEC 37: Torres vs. Tapia" in December 2008. Sources close to the organization indicated at that time that Bowles had been tagged as the No. 1 contender to Torres' 135-pound title.

Now Bowles will get the chance to tackle the WEC's hottest commodity on Torres' home turf.

Hailing from East Chicago, Ind., just across the Indiana state line from Chicago, Torres has a nine-year history of fighting in around the Chicago metropolitan area.

In addition to the hometown crowd's vocal support, Torres will also bring a 16-fight win streak with him into the cage. Torres last -- and only -- taste of defeat came in November 2003.

Additional sources also told MMAjunkie.com that a No. 1 contender bout in the bantamweight division has also been added to the WEC 40 card.

Eleven-year veteran Jeff Curran (29-10-1 MMA, 2-2 WEC) and undefeated 24-year-old Joseph Benavidez (9-0 MMA, 1-0 WEC) have agreed to meet in a bout to determine who will be the next challenger to the 135-pound title.

Curran will be dropping to 135 pounds after consecutive losses to the WEC's best featherweights, Mike Brown and Urijah Faber.

Benavidez has reeled off nine-straight wins since his 2006 debut. The streak includes six submission and two TKO victories.

For the latest on WEC 40, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.