Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Y2CJ41

      Board Rules and Regulations

      If you find TheIndianaMat.com Message Boards helpful or interesting, then you know how important it is to keep the boards clean and accurate. Please only post messages that are genuine questions or attempts to share knowledge.   In order to ensure that the boards are as helpful and enjoyable as possible to as many people as possible, we have established the following rules for the boards. No message may   1. Contain, promote, or link to sexually explicit or violent material. 2. Promote, depict, or link to material that promotes or depicts discrimination based on race, gender, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, or age; 3. Contain unlawful material, including but not limited to materials that may violate another's intellectual property rights, or links to a site that contains such material; 4. Contain information regarding or promoting illegal activity, or linking to a site that provides such information; Contains spam, pyramid schemes, or other unrelated advertising material; or 5. Is considered by us to be obscene, excessively violent, threatening, harassing or otherwise objectionable; or Is deemed by us to be unsuitable for any other reason. 6. If we decide that a post is unacceptable, we will remove the post. Depending on the severity of the post or the past history of the user who made the post, we may rescind that user's membership. 7. Advertising for goods and services will only be allowed by our paid sponsors. 8. Topics and discussions need to be in their proper forum. Repeated failure to follow this could result in permanent restriction on posting on this forum. Since we can't have a rule to cover everything, this is the rule to, well, cover everything. This is a public board, so act like you would if you were in a public place.These issues are left to the discretion of individual moderators, but may include any material that is knowingly false and/or defamatory, discussion of alleged felonies and misdemeanors, misleading, spammy, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, sexist, obscene, racist, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, that otherwise violates any law, or that encourages conduct constituting a criminal offense. Asking for or offering any of the material listed above is also out not permitted. Thank you for helping to maintain the quality of our boards.   -- The IndianaMat.com Team


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Everything posted by buscowrestling

  1. looking for last min JV meet...

    West Noble is probably a bit of a drive. They have one this weekend, not sure if they are still taking teams or not...
  2. 11-13 through 11-19 events

    I’m pretty sure this is the first week for wrestling... so what events are going on this week. Busco will be at the West Noble JV invite Saturday.
  3. Meeting Minutes: Thursday, Oct. 26, 2017 Ben Davis HS I. Call Meeting to Order II. Minutes from Spring Clinic Business Meeting (SAM) i. Sam Riesen read the meeting minutes from the Hall of Fame business meeting and the spring clinic. III. Financial Update/Status of Association (JD) i. JD Minch ii. $9,500 in our account iii. Explained that we would make a good amount at the clinic iv. JD stated that the association was doing “O.K” in terms of finances. v. Membership was roughly over 200 vi. Membership cards would be mailed IV. New Business a. IHSWCA Team State Duals Update (JD) i. 36 teams ii. Fort Wayne Coliseum will be the location iii. 2 years ago the event made a lot of $ iv. Last year was down due to the date v. Discussion took place about possible changes to a permanent date vi. Discussion took place about possible change to location vii. Greg Ratliff mentioned that he sent a questionnaire out to all teams who had participated in the Duals in the past about changing the date b. M.S. State i. Discussion took place about adding a qualifier ii. Discussion took place about a probable change in location for the event next year c. Regional Rep update – (Greg) i. Logansport Regional needed a representative- Tom Miller Lafayette Jeff Volunteered ii. Nick Kraus will replace Sam Riesen as Carroll Regional Representative (took place after the meeting) iii. Pendleton Heights regional needed a representative- Courtney Duncan of Frankton was named as a possible replacement (took place after the meeting) d. Committees i. Greg Ratliff mentioned the need for volunteers for the IHSWCA Committees ii. Jr. Academic All-State coordinator is needed V. NWCA Update (Dave Cloud) i. Discussed NWCA Duals ii. Discussed Indiana having a CEO leadership academy 1. Free NWCA CEO Leadership academy 2. Looking for 40-50 coaches 3. Looking for location 4. Best practices for your program 5. Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Pennsylvania have had one 6. Contact Dave Cloud at dcloud@smcsc.com VI. Old Business a. Membership Update (JD) 1. Covered during financial business VII. Other Business i. Dave Cloud asked about the feasibility of doing a Sophomore Academic All-state ii. Greg Ratliff said it would be on the next survey VIII. Any ideas or “items of concern”? IX. Good of the Order and Adjourn
  4. IHSWCA Business Meeting Minutes- Fall Clinic 2017

    The discussion of the date pretty much consisted of either moving the event to the first competition weekend or keeping it at the same time frame as it is now. The location discussion was mainly over the pro’s and con’s of Fort Wayne vs a more centralized location. A lot comes down to logistics and the number of teams, number of mats, etc.
  5. IHSWCA Business Meeting Minutes- Fall Clinic 2017

    Meeting minutes fall clinic 2017.docx
  6. Preseason Fort Wayne Semi-State Rankings

    Noah Cressel of Wabash is missing from the rankings...
  7. Welcome to CP Wrestling Coach Vince Sessa

    I just happened to see that there is a Vinny Sessa wrestling out of Florida at the Michigan Grappler Fall Classic. Anyone know if it’s a coincidence or if they are related?
  8. First off they are legal at the college level, right? If so have any programs released what their new uniforms will look like? It will be cool to see how Iowa, Minnesota, Penn State, etc. take their classic looking uniforms and incorporate them into the two piece options. Any word on how they are being received at the college level, are a lot of teams using them? Same questions/ discussion for the international level if anyone has any information.
  9. Triton Wrestler Killed

    Prayers from the Busco program.
  10. Jason Tsirtsis

    I have been looking at some rankings and have seen him ranked at both 149 and 157. He is usually past 15 in the current rankings. Anyhow any word on what he will go? Any opinions on what weight he would be a better fit at? As far as rankings they seem low to me for what he has accomplished, anyone see him AA again, or even getting back to the top of the podium?
  11. Middle schoolers who could place

    Curious what high school would Mendez attend if he stayed in his current district?
  12. New rules?

  13. Mayweather vs McGregor

    Not a wrestling topic at all but I think we all enjoy combat sports so what's your prediction?
  14. 2017 Head Coaching Changes

    Manchester will have a new coach with Maggart going to Jimtown. I have heard that Byron Sweet is the new head coach, nothing to substantiate that claim though.
  15. Thought this would be a good topic. 1980 on.... Off the top of my head. 1. Marion 2. Vanderburgh 3. Delaware 4. Lake 5. Adams- probably some home cooking on this one.
  16. Top 5 #thecounties in the state

    I was trying to think of the "modern era"... so I went 1980's on. Obviously if we go all time it is Monroe County. If we do 90's or 2000's on it would change as well. The original post was meant to be 1980 on, but it would be interesting to see what people think it is today as well.
  17. New IHSAA State Series Alignments

    I was emailing with Commissioner Faulkens today about the NFHS rules, and the sectional realignment came up. He requested that I share the following information with our wrestling community. -Let me provide some information for you to share with your membership. Three years ago when we met, the alignment we proposed was tabled because of several changes in sectional and regional sites. In the interim, the Board made several changes to the proposed alignment of the coaches. What you see approved by the Board is not what the coaches proposed. That is the right of the Board. They made changes to the proposed team alignments yesterday. It happens. It is their tournament.
  18. IHSWCA Spring Clinic – 2017 University of Indianapolis Business Meeting Minutes Old Business: Meeting minutes (minutes from February – IHSAA St. Mt. meeting) - Sam Riesen – IHSWCA Secretary Minutes read Accepted by Bob Hasseman (Franklin Central HS) 2nd by Dave Thompson (Whiteland HS) Financial Report (JD Minch) Money In i. $9,250 checking ii. State dual profit down iii. State Duals - Date hurt the event, attendance down 500 iv. State Duals - Previous year 2,500 fans, this year 1800 v. State Duals - Made about $2500 vi. Made about $500 at fall clinic vii. Made about $11,000 @ MS State b. Money Out i. Indiana - Ill all-star duals 1. Equipment 2. Paid refs ii. Scholastic duals iii. Donated 1. $1,000 To ISWA 2. $500 in memory of Tom Clark Membership Report (JD Minch)a. Members i. 323 members paid 1. Some signed up but didn’t pay “Regional Coaches of the Year” presentations – Greg Ratliff - IHSWCA President Coach Ratliff presented the 8 RCOY awards to the recipients in attendance New Business: NWCA/USAW Scholastic Duals report (Tom Miller- Lafayette Jefferson HS) Gold placed 3rd, lost to Ohio, and Illinois Blue placed 8th Event is growing i. Encouraged coaches to support it ii. Get best kids on best teams OW i. Mason Parris (Lawerenceburg HS) name O.W. ii. Donnie Krider (Laffayette Harrison HS) was commended as well. Exposure i. Several college coaches in attendance Date i. Moved back a week next year NWCA Report-Dave Cloud (Pendleton Heights HS) National Clinic i. Moved to Daytona 1. Could fly into Daytona or Orlando 2. Encouraged coaches to attend ii. Weight Program 1. NWCA wants Indiana back on their online weight program iii. Greg Warren 1. Greg Warren will perform at Pendleton Heights H.S. is September IHSAA Coaches Summit – May 9, 2017 (Danny Struck – Jeffersonville HS) Coaches meeting i. May 9th ii. IHSAA offices iii. IHSAA asked to discuss weight management iv. Section seeding v. Questions 1. Bill Flatt (South Bend Riley HS) a. Discussion of handling of alternates admission into semi-state and state IHSAA New Sectional Alignments – (Greg Ratliff – Edgewood HS) Discussed realignment Try to make sectionals and regionals more even The principals/ Athletic Directors chose to send teams elsewhere IHSWCA NEW WEBSITE (ihswca.org) – new webmaster Ihswca.org New webmaster- Nick Stewert (Jeffersonville HS) Other Business: 2017-18 Important Date Sheet – work in progress – will be posted on website Announcement of 2017-18 & 2018-19 IHSWCA Vice President & Secretary (Greg Ratliff – Edgewood HS – incoming President, Jake O’neil- Wabash HS- Incoming VP, Sam Riesen- Chrubusco HS- Secretary, JD Minch- Executive Director) Good of the Cause NWCA COTY Nominees- Dave Cloud (Pendleton Heights) a. Gary Black (Shenandoah)- COTY b. Keith Davison (Chesterton) – ACOTY
  19. IHSAA Updates - Good Reads!

    I emailed Commissioner Faulkens to make sure that this went in to effect right away. Here is what he sent. Unless mentioned in the minutes, anything approved by the Board goes into effect immediately. Here is the NFHS Rules wording for the alternative uniform in case you are asked: compression shorts or shorts designed for wrestling shall have a minimum 4-inch inseam that shall not extend below the knee; Shorts designed for wrestling shall have an elastic waistband and a drawstring that is not exposed. Compression shorts or shorts designed for wrestling shall not have exposed drawstrings, belt loops, zippers, snaps, buttons, or pockets. A suitable under garment which completely covers the buttocks and groin area must be worn under shorts designed for wrestling. Shorts designed for wrestling may be worn over the singlet. Compression shorts or shorts designed for wrestling may be worn with a form-fitted compression shirt. Compression shorts or shorts designed for wrestling shall be school-issued. Here is the wording for the compression shirt: c. a singlet with the top cut as outlined in (a) with full-length tights and stirrups. a form-fitted compression shirt which shall not cover or extend below the elbow and shall have a minimum 3-inch tail; The form-fitted, compression shirt may be worn under a singlet or with compression short or shorts designed for wrestling. The form-fitted compression shirt shall be school-issued. NOTE: Female contestants wearing a form-fitted compression shirt shall wear a suitable under garment that covers their breasts.
  20. New IHSAA State Series Alignments

    Serious question, do you guys think that it would be better for the wrestling communities relationship with the IHSAA to go against the request of commissioner Faulkens and discuss the meeting? That's literally the only options- either follow his request or don't.
  21. New IHSAA State Series Alignments

    Gentlemen, there are obviously a ton of questions about the meeting that the IHSAA held. Obviously the committee was asked to remain quiet about what took place during the meeting, and I have been attempting to shed some light, while still respecting the wishes of the IHSAA. There are obviously still some questions so I'll try to answer them without giving too much detail as to respect the IHSAA. Why the lack of transparency? This is impossible to answer without making a ton of inferences into why the IHSAA asked that of the committee. Your free to make those inferences, but I can't stress enough that this meeting was handled in a cordial, professional manner by well respected coaches representing the whole state, from schools of all sizes. Goals of the IHSAA and the wrestling community? Really they are the same, to create the most fair tournament given general geographic restrictions. Why won't the community members say who they are? I can't answer for anyone beside myself, but I can say that any hesitation that I had in responding is based on the fact that we were asked to not say anything about the meeting, and also the fact that there was nothing that was at all controversial about the meeting- any controversy on here is in the posters imagination. So speaking in generalizations here is what happened. Coaches with-in each semi-state looked at a map of the state, they discussed and drew up what they felt would be fair sectionals, regionals, and semi-states based largely upon geography and creating a "better" tournament. Better was not defined nesacarilly, but the general idea was to make the tournament more fair and equal. There was some instruction to try and toughen up some sectionals and weaken others to make things more fair. Then the group came together and went through each sectional and made suggestions that the entire group had to in some way agree with. In the end a map was made that contained changes the group felt met the criteria we worked with-in. I think it's also very important that you understand this point- the committee simply made suggestions, the final tournament draw was not exactally what the committee suggested in any way. There were things that were suggested that made the final draw, but a lot of the changes must have came from the IHSAA. So I just want to reiderate that the committee held a fair meeting to discuss possible changes to make the tournament better, and made suggestions to the IHSAA, and that is litterallly all that happened. I hope this puts some of your conspiracies/ fears/ questions to rest.
  22. New IHSAA State Series Alignments

    1. I do not have a list of all of the coaches who were there, it was an IHSAA committee not an IHSWCA. 2. We were specifically asked by commissioner Faulkens to not discuss the meeting.
  23. New IHSAA State Series Alignments

    The realignment that was recently decided upon was done so by the IHSAA. The committee that convened was formed to help provided suggestions for the realignment, but did not have the final say in the sectional alignment. The IHSAA seemed to follow the committee’s suggestions in some circumstances, and also their own direction at other times. The IHSAA runs the tournament and has the right and ability to set it up in any way that they choose. As a member who served on the committee I can tell you that the meeting was ran in a very cordial and professional manner. Each member took their job seriously, and worked toward producing an alignment that met the goals of both the IHSAA and the wrestling community. Any inference of collusion, cheating, or underhand dealings by those on the committee are completely nonfactual and have no basis in reality
  24. Wrestling and Math

    Couldn't you have wrestlebacks from the quarterfinals? That would only be five matches if the first round losers were done... I think i'm right on that...
  25. Congratulations to all of the award winners State Coach of the Year Gary Black, Shenandoah Randy Helfrich Assistant Coach of the Year- Keith Davison, Chesterton Calumet Leroy Vega (Portage) Crown Point Chris Joll (Chesterton) Rochester Bob Read (Plymouth High School) Logansport Scott Van Der Aa (Harrison) and Tom Miller (Lafayette Jefferson) Goshen Brett Smith (Prairie Heights) Carroll John Tone- Bishop Dwenger Peru Andrew King, Oak Hill Jay County Trent McCormick (Yorktown) and Eric Myers (Jay County) North Montgomery Maurice Swain (North Montgomery) Pendleton Heights Courtney Duncan (Frankton) Perry Meridian Matt Schoettle (Perry Meridian) Richmond Doug Deters-Franklin County & Gary Black-Shenandoah Mooresville Kevin Blundell (Monrovia) Bloomington South Mark Friz (Terre Haute North) Jeffersonville Chris Cooper (Columbus East) Castle Greg Schaefer (EVMD) Cody Moll (North Posey) Matt Collins (Vincennes Lincoln)