What will Purdue @ I.U. Wrestling roster look like next year?

Purdue is going to look nearly identical to this year's squad. Hopefully they can bring in some transfers to plug some holes. Right now, the only guy leaving the starting lineup is Marcos Polancos at 149. 

125 - Matt Ramos, once again should be an AA/possible national title threat. 

133 - Dustin Norris, it will be his third year in the starting lineup. Hopefully he's healthy, I think his a qualifier last year if not for shoulder issues

141 - Greyson Clark, national qualifier as a true freshman back in the lineup, should be improved

149 - Jayden Reynolds, probably Reynolds as the starter, wouldn't mind a portal pickup here

157 - Joey Blaze, had a bad tournament, but an very good season for a true freshman at a tough middle weight. Should be an AA threat the rest of his career. Hopefully his brother joins him

165 - Stoney Buell, national qualifier as a sophomore, should be better as an upperclassman

174 - Brody Baumann, national qualifier as a redshirt freshman back in the lineup, should be improved

184 - James Rowley, highly regarded recruit, hopefully shows a lot of improvement. Still young for an upperweight

197 - Ben Vanandia, really want a portal pickup here. Heard he's lazy and shows disinterest in wrestling and Purdue could use an upgrade. 

285 - Tristan Ruhlman, wouldn't mind a portal pickup here. I like Ruhlman, but he's not developing to the kind of guy you need manning heavyweight in the Big Ten. Maybe Hayden Copass can make a comeback, but I think he's medically retired from wrestling

Purdue could definitley use some portal help in spots. The problem is there's no one in the portal that would be a noticeable upgrade that Purdue could actually afford. And hopefully another year in the room gets these boys a lot better. Hopefully this young core works out. 

IU picks up 2023 Columbia 133-lb national qualifier, Angelo Rini. He's a grad transfer who was out much of this season with injuries. 

Avon's own Cheaney Schoeff (IU redshirt at 133 this year) enters the portal in a possibly not unrelated move.

Possible Line-Up for I.U.

125   Jacob Moran / Blaine Frazier

133   Angelo Rini

141   Henry Porter

149   Anthony Bahl / Aiden Torres

157   Derek Gilcher/Bryce Lowery

165   Tyler Lillard/Derek Gilcher

174   D.J. Washington

184   Roman Rogotzke

197   Gabe Sollars

HWT Jacob Bullock/Nick Pavlechko

I do NOT put to much stock into Wrestle Stat but they have it:

Indiana University or Purdue 24-9

Still room to make some Transfer Portal upgrades.

On 4/24/2024 at 3:47 PM, Thor said:

Purdue is going to look nearly identical to this year's squad. Hopefully they can bring in some transfers to plug some holes. Right now, the only guy leaving the starting lineup is Marcos Polancos at 149. 

125 - Matt Ramos, once again should be an AA/possible national title threat. 

133 - Dustin Norris, it will be his third year in the starting lineup. Hopefully he's healthy, I think his a qualifier last year if not for shoulder issues

141 - Greyson Clark, national qualifier as a true freshman back in the lineup, should be improved

149 - Jayden Reynolds, probably Reynolds as the starter, wouldn't mind a portal pickup here

157 - Joey Blaze, had a bad tournament, but an very good season for a true freshman at a tough middle weight. Should be an AA threat the rest of his career. Hopefully his brother joins him

165 - Stoney Buell, national qualifier as a sophomore, should be better as an upperclassman

174 - Brody Baumann, national qualifier as a redshirt freshman back in the lineup, should be improved

184 - James Rowley, highly regarded recruit, hopefully shows a lot of improvement. Still young for an upperweight

197 - Ben Vanandia, really want a portal pickup here. Heard he's lazy and shows disinterest in wrestling and Purdue could use an upgrade. 

285 - Tristan Ruhlman, wouldn't mind a portal pickup here. I like Ruhlman, but he's not developing to the kind of guy you need manning heavyweight in the Big Ten. Maybe Hayden Copass can make a comeback, but I think he's medically retired from wrestling

Purdue could definitley use some portal help in spots. The problem is there's no one in the portal that would be a noticeable upgrade that Purdue could actually afford. And hopefully another year in the room gets these boys a lot better. Hopefully this young core works out. 

I really don't see Marcus Blaze heading to WL.

He barely remembered he did the Purdue visit when he's talking top schools (near the end):

1 hour ago, maligned said:

I really don't see Marcus Blaze heading to WL.

He barely remembered he did the Purdue visit when he's talking top schools (near the end):

He's not, but I'm clinging to my .000001% chance at hope. Heard he's getting $500k to go to Ohio State, and I assume he has a similar offer from Penn St. By all accounts I've heard, he likes Purdue, would like to wrestle with his brother, but the big schools and big NIL are going to be too much. In this day and age, it's going to be nearly impossible for schools like Purdue and IU to get blue chip recruits. The only hope they have to get studs is to find diamonds in the rough, develop them, and hope they don't run off to a big school once the NIL starts getting tossed around. 

32 minutes ago, Disco said:

Purdue University, Indiana University minor league, developmental league for the big boys. 

That's taking it too far, but there are definitely tiers to this game. Big Ten lower feeds Big Ten upper. Other lesser programs feed the lower Big Ten some too.