The Middle School State Qualifier Dilemma

2 hours ago, jay_flo78 said:

To add more to the dilema. I saw on FB someone complaining about a kid qualifying for 126 and was allowed to register at 120. I did my research and found out that it actually occured. It looks like the "wrestlers will only be able to register for the weight class they qualified for" doesn't matter.  

I'm not a fan posting kids names, so I'll refrain from posting screen shots.  

This tournament is notorious for last second, weigh-in shenanigans.  Doesn’t matter if there are qualifiers, day before, day-of (mat side, shoes on/off), no weight changes day of— there has always been someone getting in when they didn’t deserve to.    Never the kid just getting into wrestling and didn’t understand the rules either.  Almost always someone who knows someone and usually a champ. 

More hoops to jump through means more room for shenanigans.  

4 hours ago, jay_flo78 said:

To add more to the dilema. I saw on FB someone complaining about a kid qualifying for 126 and was allowed to register at 120. I did my research and found out that it actually occured. It looks like the "wrestlers will only be able to register for the weight class they qualified for" doesn't matter.  

I'm not a fan posting kids names, so I'll refrain from posting screen shots.  

Personally I think this should be called out (not the wrestlers name) but to those in charge. You now have kid that got 5th at 126 that didn’t qualify just to have a kid allowed to move weight classes? It’s absolutely ridiculous that this is allowed. It really shows lack of integrity of the Indiana wrestling governing bodies if allowed. 

2 hours ago, Hereforthe2s said:

Personally I think this should be called out (not the wrestlers name) but to those in charge. You now have kid that got 5th at 126 that didn’t qualify just to have a kid allowed to move weight classes? It’s absolutely ridiculous that this is allowed. It really shows lack of integrity of the Indiana wrestling governing bodies if allowed. 

But the governing body allowed it to happen....so complaining to the people that agreed to the adjustment seems fruitless.

2 hours ago, Hereforthe2s said:

I actually had this brought to my attention by someone that wanted to change weights from qualifying weight. I told them I didn’t think so , per the rules that you must wrestle the weight you qualified at. I sent an email asking about it siting the wrestler in questions qualifying weight vs wrestler list. I was told it was a mistake made by the qualifying site so I will assume he will be at 126. Just not sure why they haven’t corrected it yet to end any speculation. I don’t want the kid in question to be looked at like he’s trying to pull a fast when if it was just an error in submitting it correctly. 

I am not sure why no one has said anything about the weigh-ins. I don't mind having early weigh-ins, but not having a free one on the same night hurts numerous athletes and parents. It is a competitive advantage to weigh-in 12 hours before someone else and they shouldn't force people to pay $20 + a hotel in many cases to be on a level playing field with your competitors. It seems the IHSWCA slaps their name on this, collects some money and then doesn't care how it's ran. It is obvious after running this event until midnight on half mats for 15 years.

I don't think a member of IHSWCA even showed up to the event last year. ISWA members set up and ran the tourney. "Slapping their name on this" is entirely accurate as it is the extent of their involvement it seems.