Iran wrestling news

4 minutes ago, The Genius said:

He is building a great resume of established senior guys at the age of 18. You probably have to say he's a medal contender already... 

Khotsianivski was meant to be his hardest challenge yet but it seems it still remains Yergali. Khotsianivski Is the first world medalist he’s beaten I believe.

Really surprised by Azarpira's win. before getting too excited he lost to Nejatian only couple weeks ago. I assume Tsakalov came from his afternoon nap directly to the map. Azarpira can't be this good (or maybe I'm wrong. I wish I'm wrong)

both Firouzpours in their worst ever shape. nothing about MS, I gave up on him long time ago but really disappointed with AH. I was even expecting him to tech this guy. giving scoring opportunity to the opponent exactly in the same way 3 or 4 times is NOT acceptable.

one more thing, sometimes foreign wrestlers pay too much respect to weak Iranian wrestlers just because they are from Iran. that's why it took 3 minutes for Abakarov to realize Momeni is a fake Iranian and he can tech him easily.

1 minute ago, Uwwdoc said:

Gonna be a close one tonight. I predict 6-4 either way. Could be 5-5. Tough to call.

The 86 and 65 bout is pivotal, I’m not very familiar with the calibre of Valencia. Same with American 74, he looked good against Georgia.

39 minutes ago, kkiane said:

The 86 and 65 bout is pivotal, I’m not very familiar with the calibre of Valencia. Same with American 74, he looked good against Georgia.

I think 57, 61 are heavily favoured towards USA. 65 Iran should do it. I also feel 70 Iran should do it too. 74 I think Nolf beats Firouzpour. 79 you have to have JB as favourite. So I feel after first 6 weights it will be 4-2 USA. Would be great if Iran can get a win in one of these weights. 86kg Valencia is pretty good, but I still think Karimi should take him. I wouldn't be surprised if he loses, but Karimi is the favourite in my eyes. What is key is if Kamran steps up to face Snyder tonight or not. Most likely he won't as much as I would love to see it. 92 I give to Iran whether it is Kamran or Firouzpour. Making it 4-4. 97kg you have to favour Snyder. And I think Masoumi wins at 125kg. So that's 5-5. It's gonna be close.

11 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

I think 57, 61 are heavily favoured towards USA. 65 Iran should do it. I also feel 70 Iran should do it too. 74 I think Nolf beats Firouzpour. 79 you have to have JB as favourite. So I feel after first 6 weights it will be 4-2 USA. Would be great if Iran can get a win in one of these weights. 86kg Valencia is pretty good, but I still think Karimi should take him. I wouldn't be surprised if he loses, but Karimi is the favourite in my eyes. What is key is if Kamran steps up to face Snyder tonight or not. Most likely he won't as much as I would love to see it. 92 I give to Iran whether it is Kamran or Firouzpour. Making it 4-4. 97kg you have to favour Snyder. And I think Masoumi wins at 125kg. So that's 5-5. It's gonna be close.

Do you think they’ll take a chance on Azarpira after his last performance, or take a chance on Ghasempour?

31 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

Interesting. Seems sensible although with room for disappointment if Karimi loses to Valencia. Our best chance is probably to win on points so we will need to get some tech falls / avoid getting teched/pinned.

I don't expect Kamran to wrestle at 97kg. It has to be Azapira after yesterday (although he probably loses to Snyder and his win over Tsakulov will turn out to be a fluke).

Edited by The Genius

15 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

I agree with most of what you wrote

There is zero chance that Karman goes up to 97, unless you have some information we do don't.  I think 86 Kg is a key match that will determine the outcome.  I also think 79 is Iran's chance of a major upset

As far as the olympic weights are concerned, Iran still needs to find its 57 and 74 Kg guys.  

11 hours ago, wrestfan said:

Really surprised by Azarpira's win. before getting too excited he lost to Nejatian only couple weeks ago. I assume Tsakalov came from his afternoon nap directly to the map. Azarpira can't be this good (or maybe I'm wrong. I wish I'm wrong)

both Firouzpours in their worst ever shape. nothing about MS, I gave up on him long time ago but really disappointed with AH. I was even expecting him to tech this guy. giving scoring opportunity to the opponent exactly in the same way 3 or 4 times is NOT acceptable.

one more thing, sometimes foreign wrestlers pay too much respect to weak Iranian wrestlers just because they are from Iran. that's why it took 3 minutes for Abakarov to realize Momeni is a fake Iranian and he can tech him easily.

Welcome back

Azarpira will be tested seriously against Snyder.  I expect Azarpira to lose, but very interested to see how he loses, and how much heart he shows when he falls behind.

I agree with you on the Firoozpoor's brothers, at one point, I had lots of hope for the big Firoozpoor, and thought he will be Iran's future at 97

So far, this has been a mixed world cup for Iran

A few young wrestlers look good

• Nokhodi
  • Azarpira
  • Massoumi

A few young wrestlers disappointed

• Momeni - only 20 years old, deserves more chances
  • Elahi - just a teenager, got great experience
  • Firoozpoor brothers -  Too many chances, too many disappointments

Two world champions showed us why they are world champions

• Rahman
  • ghassempour

For me, losing or winning the cup is not important, I am more interested in seeing the following matches

• Azarpira - I expect him to lose, but want to see how he wrestlers against the defending world champion
  • Nokhodi - Will he finally be able to beat one of the GOATs?
  • Rahman - will he continue to dominate?
  • Massoumi = will he continue to get better and better
  • Karimi - Valencia is supposed to be very good.  Can Karimi beat the guy who is supposed to be DT's future  replacement
  • Ghassempour -  I expect him to win, but just enjoy watching him wrestle

By the way, here is prediction on Flowwrestling, written a few days ago USA vs Iran - 2022 World Cup Preview & Predictions - FloWrestling

The only difference between his prediction and mine is in the 86 Kg

USA vs Iran - 2022 World Cup Preview & Predictions - FloWrestling

57 kg: Zane Richards/Nick Suriano, USA vs Reza Momeni, IRI

Iran’s Reza Momeni has had success against Iranian wrestlers but is largely unproven on the senior level. Momeni’s best performance was most recently in the Iranian league where he recorded a win against Ahmad Javan, who was ranked in the top 10 at 57kg due to a past win over world silver medalist Alireza Sarlak. Momeni failed to move into the rankings with the win because again, he is largely unproven against international competition. For instance, this year Momeni failed to place at the Islamic Solidarity Games and was silver at the U20 Asian Championships.

This match at 57kg could prove key to the outcome of the dual and is a winnable match for either Nick Suriano or Zane Richards. Based on the inexperience of Momeni, I give Suriano and Richards the advantage in this match. Suriano’s gold at the 2021 Henri Deglane and silver at the 2021 Matteo Pellicone proves his style is highly effective against some of the best wrestlers in the world at 57kg. 

Prediction: Suriano/Richards by decision

61 kg: #7 Seth Gross/Daniel DeShazer, USA vs Armin Habibzadeh, IRI

Armin Habibzadeh, like Momeni, is a young up-and-comer for Iran but largely unproven on the senior level. Habibzadeh won a silver medal at the 2022 U20 World Championships but failed to place at the 2022 U23 World Championships where he went 0-1. Habibzadeh notably defeated USA’s Nic Bouzakis in a high scoring, 15-13 bout. Because of that result against Bouzakis, and Habibzadeh’s failure to place at U23 worlds, I give Seth Gross the edge here. Gross strives against wrestlers who don’t have “air-tight” defense and might be able to push for a tech fall in this match.

Prediction: Gross by decision

Habibzadeh’s win over Nic Bouzakis at the 2022 U20 World Championships:

null

Unlock this video, live events, and more with a subscription!

Get Started

Already a subscriber? Log In

65 kg: #4 Yianni Diakomihalis/Evan Henderson, USA vs #1 Rahman Amouzad, IRI

The match at 65kg between Amouzad and Yianni is one of the most highly anticipated rematches of the entire World Cup. At the 2022 Senior World Championships, both Yianni and Amouzad cruised to the finals where they met in a highly entertaining and competitive gold medal match. Amouzad came out on top in that bout with a 13-8 victory over Yianni. The difference came in the second period as Amouzad was able to shut down Yianni’s offense and effectively impose his under-hook to generate offense.

Yianni has been vocal about his desire for the rematch with Amouzad and is sure to be prepared if the two meet on Sunday in Coarallvile. Yianni’s best success in their match at worlds came early in the first period during a scramble when Yianni was able to convert on a double-leg and take an 8-6 lead from the one exchange. For Yianni to get revenge on Amouzad, he’ll have to clear Amouzad’s powerful under hook and force more exchanges where he’s in on the Iranian’s legs. 

Prediction: Amouzad by decision

Amouzad’s win over Yianni Diakomihalis in the finals of the 2022 Senior World Championships:

null

Get Started

70 kg: Alec Pantaleo/Tyler Berger, USA vs #8 Amir Yazdani, IRI

Amir Yazdani won a silver medal at the 2021 World Championships at 65kg and worked his way up to the #1 ranked wrestler in the world at 70kg earlier this year. Yazdani earned that #1 spot after he beat James Green, 8-2 at the 2022 Yasar Dogu in February of 2022. He carried that ranking into the 2022 senior world championships in September but forfeited out of worlds after drawing Israel’s Josh Finesilver in the first round (Iran forbids their wrestlers from competing against Israel). Yazdani then went to U23 Worlds in October where he won a silver medal and lost in the finals to Georgia’s Giorgi Elbakidze.

It’s worth understanding that context to see that Yazdani is one of the best wrestlers in the world at 70kg, but he’s not unbeatable. At U23 Worlds, Yahya Thomas pushed Yazdani to the brink and was holding a 2-2 criteria lead with a minute to go in the match. Yazdani would ultimately go on to win 4-2 but showed his vulnerabilities in that match. Yazdani may be the slight favorite in this match, but Pantaleo or Berger are both capable of defeating the Iranian.

Prediction: Yazdani by decision

Yazdani's win over James Green at the 2022 Yasar Dogu:

null

Get Started

74 kg: #8 Jason Nolf/Vincenzo Joseph, USA vs #18 Mohmmadsadegh Firouzpour, IRI

Firouzpour moved into the top 20 at 74kg after he won the U23 world championships and defeated Azerbaijan’s Khadzhimruad Gadzhiyev in the finals, 5-2. Despite that result, I still give Jason Nolf an edge over Firouzpour based on Nolf’s performance over the past year at the senior level.

Nolf started off his 2022 by winning a silver medal at the Yarygin in Russia where he defeated 2021 world bronze medalist Timurz Bizhoev. He followed that performance up by making Final X after winning the world team trials. Nolf was also impressive in defeat against Kyle Dake at Final X New York in two close matches - 4-2 and 2-1. 

American fans should remain confident if Vincenzo Joseph takes the mat against Firouzpour instead of Nolf. Joseph also had a successful 2022 taking second at the US Open and World Team Trials at 79kg. In those tournaments, Joseph had notable wins over Alex Dieringer (twice), Taylor Lujan (twice), and Chance Marsteller.

Prediction: Nolf by decision

79 kg: #1 Jordan Burroughs/#14 Chance Marsteller, USA vs #6 Ali Savadkouhi, IRI/#7 Mohammad Nokhodi

The match at 79kg has the potential to be the best of the dual. Jordan Burroughs is the two-time defending world champion and has defeated Iran’s Mohammad Nokhodi in the finals of each of the last two worlds - 5-1 in 2021 and 4-2 in 2022. Burroughs also had a highly competitive match against Iran’s other 79kg wrestler Ali Savadkouhi at the 2022 Yasar Dogu in February. In that bout, Savadkouhi was less than 30 seconds away from defeating Burroughs until he was hit with a penalty point for grabbing Burroughs' singlet. JB ultimately went on to win the match, 2-1.

It’s also worth noting that Savadkouhi had an incredible month of competition in November at the Iranian Premier League. There, Savadkouhi took out both Nokohodi and world/Olympic champion Zaurbek Sidakov. Because of that recent success, I expect Iran to send out Savadkouhi against Burroughs in what should be an incredible match.

Prediction: Burroughs by decision

Burroughs' win over Nokhodi in the 2022 World Finals:

null

Get Started

Burroughs' win over Savadkouhi at the 2022 Yasar Dogu:

null

Get Started

86 kg: #7 Zahid Valencia/Mark Hall, USA vs #11 Alireza Karimi, IRI

As a three-time world medalist, Alireza Karimi is one of Iran’s most experienced wrestlers on this world cup squad. Prior to Hassan Yazdani moving up to 86kg in 2017, Karimi manned the spot for Iran in 2015 and 2016 where he won world bronze and qualified for the Rio Olympics. Karimi successfully transitioned up to 92kg and won a world bronze medal in 2018 and silver in 2019. In both world championships, Karimi lost only to eventual world champ J’den Cox.

Karimi then attempted to make the Tokyo Olympics for Iran at 97kg but didn’t have near the same level of success up in weight. At 97kg, Karimi was kept off the Olympic team after losing to Mohammadian and notably split matches with Kollin Moore. 

So how does Zahid Valencia stack up against Karimi? Valencia has established himself as a top 10 wrestler in the world at 86kg over the past 2 years. He has wins over past world/Olympic medalists Myles Amine, Azamat Dauletbekov, Sandro Aminashvili, and Fatih Erdin. So while Karimi is more credentialed, Valencia has the better recent results. Because of that, I’m picking Valencia here but this match could absolutely go Karimi’s way. This is a true “swing match” and could ultimately determine the outcome of the dual.

Prediction: Valencia by decision

92 kg: #9 Nate Jackson/Jay Aiello, USA vs #1 Kamran Ghasempour/#3 Amir Firouzpour, IRI

Kamran Ghasempour is a 2X defending world champion at 92kg and has defeated J'den Cox at each of the last two world championships. It's clear Ghasempour has established himself as one of the best wrestlers in the world regardless of weight and showcases incredible defense with an effective offense. It's clear Ghasempour is the favorite in this matchup and will be crucial to Iran's hopes of winning the World Cup.

Nate Jackson has steadily improved during his time on the senior level and shouldn’t be underestimated in this matchup. Jackson’s three-match series at Final X against J’den Cox was proof that Jackson is right there with the best in the world at 92kg. 

Jackson will need to effectively avoid getting caught in Ghasempour's under hook and finish quickly on his offensive attacks if he hopes to be successful against the Iranian. Ghasempour is dangerous from the front headlock, and like most Iranians, is highly effective in the hand fight and applying pressure with his under hook. 

Prediction: Ghasempour by decision

null

Get Started

97 kg: #2 Kyle Snyder, USA vs Amirali Azarpira, IRI

Kyle Snyder was able to defeat Iran’s best 97kg in both of the last two years at the world championships in tight, competitive matches. Snyder beat Mojtaba Goleij at the 2021 World Championships on a late takedown, 3-1. This past year, Snyder took out Mohammad Mohammadian 4-1 after taking an early lead and holding strong defense throughout the entirety of the match. 

With those matches in mind, Snyder is a big favorite in the potential matchup against Azarpira. Despite Azarpira winning the 2022 U23 World Championship, he’s still Iran’s 4th or 5th-best 97kg wrestler. Azarpira has recent losses to Mojtaba Goleij and Esmial Nejatian proving he’s at least a tier behind Snyder. 

Prediction: Snyder by decision

Snyder's win over Mohammadian at the 2022 World Championships:

null

Get Started

125 kg: #7 Hayden Zillmer/#10 Nick Gwiazdowski, USA vs #5 Amirreza Masoumi, IRI

Iran isn’t sending 2021 world champion Amir Zare, but Amirreza Masoumi is a worthy replacement. At only 18 years old, Masoumi impressively won the 2022 U20 and U23 world championships. At U20 worlds, American fans will likely remember Masoumi for his tech fall win over Nick Feldman. Then at U23 worlds, Masoumi won in the finals by tech fall over a Georgian opponent who tech falled Anthony Cassioppi. Beyond those performances, Masoumi also won the Takhti Cup (one of the toughest senior-level tournaments in Iran) and defeated multiple-time world team member Yadollah Mohebbi. All of that to say, Masoumi will be an incredible challenge for either Hayden Zillmer or Nick Gwiazdowski.

Prediction: Masoumi by decision

Masoumi's win over Nick Feldman at the 2022 U20 World Championships:

null

Get Started

Who Wins - USA or Iran? 

In the above predictions, I have Team USA winning 6 of the 10 matches. The way I see it is that Team USA is a considerable favorite at 61kg, 79kg, and 97kg while being the slight favorites at 57kg, 74kg, and 86kg. Iran is the clear favorite at 65kg and 70kg while being slight favorites at 92kg and 125kg. There are a number of swing matches throughout the dual but Team USA will be in the driver’s seat to win this potential dual and the World Cup. 

37 minutes ago, kkiane said:

Do you think they’ll take a chance on Azarpira after his last performance, or take a chance on Ghasempour?

I want to see Kamran vs Snyder. This is me just being a fan. Would be awesome. But I think it will be Azarpira at 97kg. Azarpira is great. He isn't at Mohammadian's level yet. And would be a shock if he beat Snyder, but I'm not surprised at him teching Tsakulov. He has great potential.

4 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

I want to see Kamran vs Snyder. This is me just being a fan. Would be awesome. But I think it will be Azarpira at 97kg. Azarpira is great. He isn't at Mohammadian's level yet. And would be a shock if he beat Snyder, but I'm not surprised at him teching Tsakulov. He has great potential.

At this point, it’s all about who is the will ne the wrestler at the Olympics 

I am pretty confident Azarpira will be better tha. Mohammadian by 2024

i also would LOVE to see Ghassempour at 97. He is undersized at 92, but such a great wrestler that he might medal at 97

1 hour ago, The Genius said:

Interesting. Seems sensible although with room for disappointment if Karimi loses to Valencia. Our best chance is probably to win on points so we will need to get some tech falls / avoid getting teched/pinned.

I don't expect Kamran to wrestle at 97kg. It has to be Azapira after yesterday (although he probably loses to Snyder and his win over Tsakulov will turn out to be a fluke).

I don't think if Azarpira loses against Kyle the Tsakulov win should be deemed as a fluke. He's good, but he's still got a bit to go.

1 minute ago, Uwwdoc said:

I don't think if Azarpira loses against Kyle the Tsakulov win should be deemed as a fluke. He's good, but he's still got a bit to go.

Tsakulov was beating everyone at Worlds only a few months ago and kept it relatively close with Snyder, while Azarpira lost at junior worlds earlier this year (and since then to some other guys too). So that result has all the hallmarks of a fluke to me. But I hope he proves me wrong with a valiant performance against Snyder today (notwithstanding that Snyder himself is pretty beatable outside of major tournaments). 

12 minutes ago, Irani said:

At this point, it’s all about who is the will ne the wrestler at the Olympics 

I am pretty confident Azarpira will be better tha. Mohammadian by 2024

i also would LOVE to see Ghassempour at 97. He is undersized at 92, but such a great wrestler that he might medal at 97

Very well could be the case Re: Azarpira.

You asked if there is something I know re Kamran wrestling at 97. As of yesterday there were active discussions about Kamran just wrestling 97 for the USA match, prior to all the other bouts starting. But last I heard this morning they are going to go at 92kg. But I'm still hoping.... 

You guys are being too critical of Firouzpour bro's imo. Both their opponents are borderline top 3 guys in their weights. AH Firouzpour lost to Osman 10-7 just last year and has technically improved on that this year. MS Firouzpour being teched is disappointing but it's not like we should have expected him to win. I don't think Emami could beat Salkazanov either. These guys, especially Amir Hossein, are still very young and a world cup match against some of the best talents in the weight shouldn't be enough to write them off imo. Someone like Momeni on the other hand has had more than enough chances already. 57 is not going to be a weight we medal at in the Olympics.

53 minutes ago, Amir.Sol said:

You guys are being too critical of Firouzpour bro's imo. Both their opponents are borderline top 3 guys in their weights. AH Firouzpour lost to Osman 10-7 just last year and has technically improved on that this year. MS Firouzpour being teched is disappointing but it's not like we should have expected him to win. I don't think Emami could beat Salkazanov either. These guys, especially Amir Hossein, are still very young and a world cup match against some of the best talents in the weight shouldn't be enough to write them off imo. Someone like Momeni on the other hand has had more than enough chances already. 57 is not going to be a weight we medal at in the Olympics.

I think it's more that we hoped/expected that they would have closed the gap more. AH Firouzpour was also disappointing because he ended up in the exact same position around 4 times in the match which shows a lack of wrestling IQ and inability to adapt during the match. Ultimately both Firouzpours showed they have little chance of being on the 2024 team. 

Actually I think Emami could beat Salkazanov and I would love to see that match-up. He is entering his prime and coming off a fantastic 2022. Barring a disastrous run of results next year, he is clearly our guy at 74kg and I expect him to medal in Paris. 

Generally, I think we have a good chance to medal at 65kg (Amouzad), 74kg (Emami/Nokhodi?), 86kg (Yazdani), 97kg (Goleij/Ghasempour) and 125kg (Zare/Masoumi). 57kg indeed seems hopeless at this point, unless Ahmad Javan can rediscover some form. 

Edited by The Genius