Iran wrestling news

David Taylor lost to Brooks 4-1 in their first match (best of 3) at US Olympic Trials today ... Will we see a major upset? 

Yazdani returned to physical training a few weeks ago and is expected to return to full wrestling training in a few weeks (early May). This will give him 3 full months of wrestling training before the Olympics. Whether this will be enough, who knows. 

Kavianinejad and Mohmadi through to the semis! Tough match for Mohmadi against the Uzbek Berdimuratov, the guy that beat Alizadeh at Asian games last year.

4 hours ago, Irani said:

David Taylor lost the second match and is out 

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/39985081/aaron-brooks-tops-david-taylor-seal-24-olympic-wrestling-spot

brooks is a legitimate contender.  He was very successful in the NCAA representing Penn state, was DT’s training partner for the Tokyo Olympics and is a U23 world champion

What’s going on with Taylor, I’m not an expert in American wrestling so maybe Brooks is that good, but he seemed to have no penetration? Internationally can’t remember seeing him get that deep on a leg like that and get stuffed. Maybe Brooks has the heaviest hips ever seen at 86, his defence was amazing, but had a quick look at some of his other matches and didn’t seem like other wrestlers couldn’t finish on him…

And don’t wanna get armchair expert here but physically Taylor looked way softer than he’s looked last few worlds.

No David Taylor at the Olympics.

A good day for Yazdani. I definitely fancy his chances vs Brooks compared to Taylor, even if it's only because it's a new opponent vs someone we know Yazdani really struggles to beat.

DT looked slow and old, I think age is catching up with him. He's 33. It happens. 

US Olympic FS team:

57kg: Spencer Lee (not qualified)

65kg: Zain Retherford (not qualified) 

74kg: Kyle Dake

86kg: Aaron Brooks 

97kg: Kyle Snyder

125kg: Mason Parris

Iranian Olympic FS team:

57kg: TBD (not qualified) 

65kg: Rahman Amouzad

74kg: Younes Emami

86kg: Hassan Yazdani (* depending on injury recovery)  

97kg: Amir Azarpira

125kg: Amir Zare

Iranian Olympic GR team:

60kg: Mehdi Mohsennejad 

67kg: Reza Geraei 

77kg: Ali Geraei (I guess?)

87kg: Alizadeh / Mohmadi (TBD)

97kg: Mohammad Hadi Saravi

130kg: Amin Mirzazadeh

All five weights are qualified now thanks to Kavianinejad and Mohmadi today. 3 strong medal chances with Mirzazadeh, Saravi and Reza Geraei. 

On 4/21/2024 at 2:45 PM, The Genius said:

Iranian Olympic GR team:

60kg: Mehdi Mohsennejad 

67kg: Reza Geraei 

77kg: Ali Geraei (I guess?)

87kg: Alizadeh / Mohmadi (TBD)

97kg: Mohammad Hadi Saravi

130kg: Amin Mirzazadeh

All five weights are qualified now thanks to Kavianinejad and Mohmadi today. 3 strong medal chances with Mirzazadeh, Saravi and Reza Geraei. 

I’d be very disappointed if there isn’t a a wrestle off at 67 with Ismaili. I love Geraei but he spends so much time at 72 and his condition at 67 hasn’t looked great.

2 hours ago, kmrabr said:

I’d be very disappointed if there isn’t a a wrestle off at 67 with Ismaili. I love Geraei but he spends so much time at 72 and his condition at 67 hasn’t looked great.

Esmaeili looks very promising but he's very young and was his first tournament at 67kg and it wasn't at a senior worlds caliber, so it's too risky to send him instead of Reza Geraei IMO, even if Geraei has looked very bad at 67kg lately. Esmaeili will probably have to wait for 2028 

2 hours ago, kmrabr said:

Hassan is on the list of wrestlers for the next national camp. Kamran still listed at 97.

Kamran said weight won't be a problem and he can make 86kg again. It's a no brainer to send him if Yazdani can't go. Both should win Gold. But I think 3 full months of wrestling training will be enough for Yazdani 

4 hours ago, The Genius said:

Esmaeili looks very promising but he's very young and was his first tournament at 67kg and it wasn't at a senior worlds caliber, so it's too risky to send him instead of Reza Geraei IMO, even if Geraei has looked very bad at 67kg lately. Esmaeili will probably have to wait for 2028 

I’m not saying send him instead, I’m saying his performances and Geraei’s form have shown he deserves a wrestle off. 

1 minute ago, kmrabr said:

I’m not saying send him instead, I’m saying his performances and Geraei’s form have shown he deserves a wrestle off. 

For sure, we mustn’t forget that Esmaeili has teched Sohrabi recently 

12 hours ago, kmrabr said:

The last time we saw Geraei wrestle he won Bronze at worlds (wrestling 5 matches over 2 days and going 4-1). I would like to see him wrestle again before Paris 

On 4/22/2024 at 5:51 PM, kmrabr said:

Looks like you got your wish https://www.khabarvarzeshi.com/news/456997/حساس-ترین-مبارزه-کشتی-ایران-برای-المپیک-مصاف-گرایی-و-پدیده-کشتی

Iran is sending Alireza Sarlak to the World OG Qualifier in Istanbul (May 9-13) in the last chance to qualify 57% for Paris

Also, it is possible that both Yazdani and Ghasempour will be sent to the ranking series tournament in Hungary (June 6-9) to help decide who should represent Iran at 86kg 

Yazdani is back in light wrestling training as of a week ago, seems slightly ahead of schedule. He will join the national team training camp soon (May 10th). I think he will make it and win Gold.

Edited by The Genius

On 4/21/2024 at 4:29 AM, kmrabr said:

What’s going on with Taylor, I’m not an expert in American wrestling so maybe Brooks is that good, but he seemed to have no penetration? Internationally can’t remember seeing him get that deep on a leg like that and get stuffed. Maybe Brooks has the heaviest hips ever seen at 86, his defence was amazing, but had a quick look at some of his other matches and didn’t seem like other wrestlers couldn’t finish on him…

And don’t wanna get armchair expert here but physically Taylor looked way softer than he’s looked last few worlds.

I agree Taylor didn't look as fit as in the past. His endurance looked fine,  but I agree he looked less chiseled. 

Brooks is legit, though. He's just raw at freestyle, so he can still be scored on more easily the way Taylor was domestically when he was younger. Also, getting scored on by a motivated Valencia doesn't mean much. Valencia scores on everyone in the world in the first minutes. 

I agree that Brooks is a more desirable opponent from Yazdani's perspective. The underhook game should work better for early scores and Brooks won't be the same threat to score from par terre. But Brooks is very big and has ultra-high conditioning and athleticism for the whole match. If Yazdani is up by less than 5 with 1:30 remaining, he will be in big danger.

The big tragedy is that Brooks doesn't have ranking points, so this match could be early in the tournament.

Edited by maligned

1 hour ago, maligned said:

Also, getting scored on by a motivated Valencia doesn't mean much. Valencia scores on everyone in the world in the first minutes. 

it was only 1-0 to Valencia after the first period. it was 3-1 to Brooks with 1:48 to go. and obviously it finished 7-6 to Brooks (controversially after Valencia was leading 6*-6 with 6 seconds to go and the ref gives a point to Brooks for a Valencia singlet grab foul)

Brooks beat Mirasola 11-5, Dieringer 8-4, Valencia 7-6 then DT 4-1 and 3-1

DT was the only guy of those three who couldn't get a single takedown on Brooks (and he had two matches to do it)... looking at those results I have to conclude that DT was simply not at his best