Iran wrestling news

2 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

If Kamran beats Snyder I reckon he gets the Olympic spot. To be honest I reckon they give it to him anyway. Fair play to Kamran he's doing really well considering he is not a natural 97kg wrestler.

That's a very big 'if', I don't think it's very likely based on what I've seen from Ghasempour so far today unfortunately. Luckily for Azarpira he has a much easier SF so should still make the final barring another conditioning disaster

The 97kg spot is not a easy decision and there is not much time left until Paris... Do we trust Ghasempour's ability to adjust to 97kg more than Azarpira's ability to improve rapidly due to his young age and high ceiling? Ghasempour seems like a safer bet but with a lower ceiling.

Azarpira defeats Vicky (India) 11-0 in one minute with a TD and 4 consecutive gut wrenches

Azarpira vs Snyder in the final here later today

How did Zare and Masoumi do? I missed those matches, wasn't expecting them to happen so quickly

1 minute ago, The Genius said:

Azarpira defeats Vicky (India) 11-0 in one minute with a TD and 4 consecutive gut wrenches

Azarpira vs Snyder in the final here later today

How did Zare and Masoumi do? I missed those matches, wasn't expecting them to happen so quickly

Geno forfeited I think. Masoumi did very well against Parris, I think he’s matured a lot since Asian champs. We’ll find out just how much when he faces Zare.

2 minutes ago, kkiane said:

Geno forfeited I think. Masoumi did very well against Parris, I think he’s matured a lot since Asian champs. We’ll find out just how much when he faces Zare.

Just saw Masoumi defeated Parris 11-6, that's a huge win!

I thought Geno might forfeit because he had some injury problems in the QF (those didn't stop him from finishing the match but he knows Zare would beat him again).

We have 2 of the top 5 wrestlers in the world at 125kg, that's crazy. Zare vs Masoumi final later.

20 minutes ago, kkiane said:

Ghasempour is simply too small. He’s not a 97. Let him drop back down to 92.

It’s an Olympic year, unless Azarpira does something spectacular in a couple of hours I’d be happy for our 2 time world champion at 92 to go up and have a go. Still think he has an excellent chance of picking up a bronze which realistically is what we can say for Azarpira too.

Ghasempour didn't wrestle badly. He gave up a push out in the first 2 seconds, needs to be more alert to that. Then activity point to go into second period 2-0 down.

Gets in on a single leg on Snyder and tries to push him out but Snyder circles and counters well to get the TD on Ghasempour. Then Snyder shuts Ghasempour down for the rest of the match.

If he stays alert in the first 10 seconds and converts that single leg it's a very different match. Obviously that isn't what happened but I don't think the gap between them is huge or insurmountable. Snyder is an elite wrestler at 97kg whose resume is basically on par with Yazdani's. 

Ghasempour shouldn't give up, he can make some adjustments and grow into the weight a bit more in the next 6-7 months. 

6 minutes ago, kmrabr said:

It’s an Olympic year, unless Azarpira does something spectacular in a couple of hours I’d be happy for our 2 time world champion at 92 to go up and have a go. Still think he has an excellent chance of picking up a bronze which realistically is what we can say for Azarpira too.

Let's see how Azarpira does against Snyder.

But I'm inclined to agree with you.

3 hours ago, Uwwdoc said:

Let's see how Azarpira does against Snyder.

But I'm inclined to agree with you.

If Sadulaev is in shape in the Olympics, Iran wrestlers at best will be the 4th best

Ghasempour beats the Turk 3-1 and wins Bronze

The passivity point in the second period was a disgrace, Ghasempour had like 3-5 deep single leg shot attempts in a row while the Turk did nothing!

Overall a good performance from Ghasempour but hard to see him being a medal threat in Paris 

AZARPIRA DEFEATS SNYDER 6-3 

Fantastic second period performance from Azarpira. Snyder challenged a marginal step out and lost the point, which was a pivotal moment, but Azarpira deserves full credit there, his gas tank held up well and he was much more aggressive in the second period

Huge confidence boost for the 22 year old Azarpira. Sorry Ghasempour, but Azarpira is our guy for Paris. 

Edited by The Genius

There’s this apprehensiveness when it comes to our guys wrestling Snyder, we mystify him. As soon as Azarpira realised he’s actually quite good at this whole wrestling business he started connecting shots. He just needed confidence.

i feel terrible for Ghassempour and Nokhodi.  The stupid 6 weight Olympic rule deprives them of Olympic medals they deserve, gold for sure for Ghassempour

Zare defeats Masoumi 5-0

Zare is without a doubt the best wrestler in the world at 125kg and the current best Iranian wrestler. 

Masoumi was no disgrace, though his offence was effectively shut off by Zare's total control. I would love to see Masoumi vs Taha and Geno. I think he destroys Geno but not Taha. 

Zare will win Olympic Gold in Paris. He might be our only wrestler who will. 

I haven't been paying attention to 57kg but does Sarlak deserve another shot?

Silver in 2021 (easy draw / weak competition) then DNP in 2022 after surprisingly losing to Wanhou (China) but the Chinese wrestler has been very good since then, Sarlak's loss has aged quite well 

2 hours ago, Irani said:

97 kg is settled.  We have our guy

Wow, great performance by Azarpira. After falling before to Snyder 3-0, losing to a far inferior Zahid Valencia, and then almost losing today to a far inferior Trumble, I didn't really think he'd have a shot. Masoumi and Azarpira have great futures (assuming Masoumi will sadly have to wear a different singlet). 

3 hours ago, Irani said:

@Uwwdoc  Have you heard anything about Amouzad injury?  Is it serious?

No news I'm afraid. I'm not in Croatia and I haven't been in contact. I presume it won't be anything serious