Iran wrestling news

26 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

Amirreza Masoumi's dad is meeting Dabir tomorrow. Azerbaijan have made an offer to Masoumi to wrestle for Azerbaijan...

I hope they are not seriously considering the offer.  This would be a terrible outcome

I understand that wrestling for another country may be his own chance to medal in 2024 olympics, but he is very young, and has a shot at 28 and 32 olympics

57 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

Amirreza Masoumi's dad is meeting Dabir tomorrow. Azerbaijan have made an offer to Masoumi to wrestle for Azerbaijan...

WTF. Please no. 

I had a feeling this would happen because Masoumi is too good not to be competing at the highest level, and there's a chance he won't get a look in with Zare around for the next 10+ years too. He should back himself to beat Zare, though, if he does that he will make the team.

But if he has to leave Iran and represent another country against Iran, please not Azerbaijan lol

You know, part of me wants to see this  .  Let Massoumi get a spot for another country in the olympics, and while we are at it, let Ghassempour do the same in 86.

Just enjoy the wrestling and not worry about which country the medal goes to, we all know which country they are from.  I get upset everytime I think about Ghassempour never having a chance to wrestling in the olympics or face DT at his price

20 minutes ago, Irani said:

You know, part of me wants to see this  .  Let Massoumi get a spot for another country in the olympics, and while we are at it, let Ghassempour do the same in 86.

Just enjoy the wrestling and not worry about which country the medal goes to, we all know which country they are from.  I get upset everytime I think about Ghassempour never having a chance to wrestling in the olympics or face DT at his price

Hard disagree. The country and nation always comes first. That's what the Olympics is about, and what makes winning a medal so special; you win it for your nation, not just for yourself. 

Although I of course agree it is a huge shame that we might not otherwise see Ghasempour or Masoumi being able to compete at Worlds/Olympics.

2 hours ago, Irani said:

I hope they are not seriously considering the offer.  This would be a terrible outcome

I understand that wrestling for another country may be his own chance to medal in 2024 olympics, but he is very young, and has a shot at 28 and 32 olympics

I think they are seriously considering it. I think there is financial benefits as well as the fact to get to go worlds, Olympics etc.

Masoumi is probably top 3 heavyweight in the world and maybe in a year top 2. But I don't see him getting past Zare in the next few years or any time soon.

I think the Masoumis would have liked for him to be going to the Asian games. Which to be fair in my opinion I think would be the best option all round, I feel all the Worlds guys should be resting up and not going to Asian games. And Masoumi would still get gold tbh.

Ultimately I don't think it will happen. I don't think Dabir will let it/make it tricky and it is a big big decision with a huge social and political impact. The Russians are doing this all the time due to the talent they have and to be able to rep other countries.

12 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

I think they are seriously considering it. I think there is financial benefits as well as the fact to get to go worlds, Olympics etc.

Masoumi is probably top 3 heavyweight in the world and maybe in a year top 2. But I don't see him getting past Zare in the next few years or any time soon.

I think the Masoumis would have liked for him to be going to the Asian games. Which to be fair in my opinion I think would be the best option all round, I feel all the Worlds guys should be resting up and not going to Asian games. And Masoumi would still get gold tbh.

Ultimately I don't think it will happen. I don't think Dabir will let it/make it tricky and it is a big big decision with a huge social and political impact. The Russians are doing this all the time due to the talent they have and to be able to rep other countries.

I could not agree more with the idea of sending Massoumi to the Asian games.

Zare has nothing to gain by going there.

6 hours ago, Irani said:

I get where you’re coming from, it is a huge shame we don’t get to see some of our top guys competing more internationally, and it’s easy for me to say sitting at home when it’s not my career on the line, but for me country comes first. I mean, I’m not out here cheering for Atri for fun, I support every athlete representing Iran. And although wrestling is an individual sport the team element has always been a huge.

Another thing, when it comes to the many Russians and Americans wrestlers that rep another country, they stay in their countries at their original clubs then just dust off the second passport when it’s competition time. Whereas with our athletes it’s much more of a case of defecting, normally for personal or political reasons, and they leave Iran permanently. (Not judging btw, everyone has their own situations and beliefs). So are we talking about Masoumi literally packing up and moving to Azerbaijan? Would be a huge shock honestly.

8 hours ago, kmrabr said:

for me country comes first. I mean, I’m not out here cheering for Atri for fun, I support every athlete representing Iran. And although wrestling is an individual sport the team element has always been a huge.

Very well said. I don't think anyone is supporting Atri for fun lol. 

12 hours ago, kmrabr said:

I get where you’re coming from, it is a huge shame we don’t get to see some of our top guys competing more internationally, and it’s easy for me to say sitting at home when it’s not my career on the line, but for me country comes first. I mean, I’m not out here cheering for Atri for fun, I support every athlete representing Iran. And although wrestling is an individual sport the team element has always been a huge.

Another thing, when it comes to the many Russians and Americans wrestlers that rep another country, they stay in their countries at their original clubs then just dust off the second passport when it’s competition time. Whereas with our athletes it’s much more of a case of defecting, normally for personal or political reasons, and they leave Iran permanently. (Not judging btw, everyone has their own situations and beliefs). So are we talking about Masoumi literally packing up and moving to Azerbaijan? Would be a huge shock honestly.

Those days for the Russian legionnaires are gonna be over for now after the Belgrade World Championships. Russia ain't gonna be having it anymore after the performances in Belgrade, Gatsalov is saying if you represent another country, you're gonna have to train in that country. You're no longer welcome to come to Russia, Dagestan etc and train with the national team, and they are gonna try to restrict them from coming back to their clubs in Russia too.

They are not gonna allow any cameras in training either.

I get it to be honest. I'm surprised Iran let Tsabolov come to train in an Olympic qualifying year with Emami, and Emami helped him in training and then lost to him in worlds...

1 hour ago, Uwwdoc said:

Those days for the Russian legionnaires are gonna be over for now after the Belgrade World Championships. Russia ain't gonna be having it anymore after the performances in Belgrade, Gatsalov is saying if you represent another country, you're gonna have to train in that country. You're no longer welcome to come to Russia, Dagestan etc and train with the national team, and they are gonna try to restrict them from coming back to their clubs in Russia too.

They are not gonna allow any cameras in training either.

I get it to be honest. I'm surprised Iran let Tsabolov come to train in an Olympic qualifying year with Emami, and Emami helped him in training and then lost to him in worlds...

Wow this is going to shake up the whole international scene.

And agree with you about Tsabalov. Outside of major tournament camps it’s great to get different wrestlers in the room but a rival at one of the most competitive weights before world championships (and 2 years in a row no less)…

Could you imagine the Americans letting Salkazanov join a camp with Dake ahead of worlds.

10 hours ago, kmrabr said:

Wow this is going to shake up the whole international scene.

And agree with you about Tsabalov. Outside of major tournament camps it’s great to get different wrestlers in the room but a rival at one of the most competitive weights before world championships (and 2 years in a row no less)…

Could you imagine the Americans letting Salkazanov join a camp with Dake ahead of worlds.

Dake would welcome it! 

8 hours ago, Disco said:

Dake would welcome it! 

I’m sure he would, just like Emami and our guys did with Tsabalov. Wrestlers want to challenge themselves and train with the best. Now let’s see if the American coaches would let him join one of the training camps in your German military base.

12 hours ago, kmrabr said:

I’m sure he would, just like Emami and our guys did with Tsabalov. Wrestlers want to challenge themselves and train with the best. Now let’s see if the American coaches would let him join one of the training camps in your German military base.

Not in the best interest of Dakes development 

12 hours ago, Irani said:

Haven’t heard much from Amir reza himself, but with the greatest respect to his dad who was a fantastic wrestler in his day, he comes across a little entitled. 

Masoumi’s age group results & potential are unquestionable but why should he be guaranteed to go to the Asian games? It’s technically the 3rd most important event after Olympics and worlds. We sent him to the Asian Championships and frankly he performed very poorly. 

He’s so young, why not be a little patient, go and win Asians next year and prove this years shocker was a one off, then have a conversation about his position in the national side.

7 minutes ago, The Genius said:

What is there to have a conversation about? To make the team you have to be the best in Iran, just like in every country. He's basically saying he doesn't think he can beat Zare. 

I think Zare dominates the scene for many years.

It always sucks for those who are top 3-top 5 in the world at their weight but are stuck behind the best domestically. Kamran is a very good example.

3 hours ago, Uwwdoc said:

I think Zare dominates the scene for many years.

It always sucks for those who are top 3-top 5 in the world at their weight but are stuck behind the best domestically. Kamran is a very good example.

Kamran wrestled Yazdani 4-5 times over many years, trying to beat him. 

Masoumi is 18-19 years old and already considering giving up. Not the same

1 minute ago, The Genius said:

I agree it's WAY too early for Masoumi to give up and start comparing himself to the Ghassempour situation.  Look at how much Zare improved from 18 to year, there is every reason to expect Masoumi to get a lot better.  I do think he has a chance of beating Zare for 2028

3 hours ago, The Genius said:

I was comparing them in the fact that they are around top 3 in the world in their weight but due to being behind "the" guy domestically they can't even be on the world stage.

Masoumi ain't going anywhere. But they probably have a realistic view of their chances of beating Zare in the next few years. Even up to LA. I can see why they would look elsewhere. But as I said this is more than anything them being pissed at not being sent to Asian Games.