Iran wrestling news

35 minutes ago, Irani said:

In other good news @LJB, I am happy to report that based on tonight’s showing, US also wins the ugliest singlet contest 😀

we are traditionally 50/50 on acceptable or awful...

34 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Congrats on the win. Valencia and Nate Jackson are legit and would both medal at Worlds. You guys are still hopeless at 125kg without Gable though. 

dude...

i am a greco guy...

we don't even utter the h-word...

4 minutes ago, LJB said:

dude...

i am a greco guy...

we don't even utter the h-word...

My condolences for what can only be a very painful existence... Any American GR wrestlers of note for 2024? Can't profess to have noticed any from USA in recent years... 

15 minutes ago, The Genius said:

My condolences for what can only be a very painful existence... Any American GR wrestlers of note for 2024? Can't profess to have noticed any from USA in recent years... 

feigned or not, i appreciate the sentiment...

both of my sons are in the mix so i don't want to get too crazy on a silly message board, but...

we have a new coach who is highly motivated and i am hopeful for bigger waves from the US, but, that might not become fully realized until '28...

1 minute ago, LJB said:

feigned or not, i appreciate the sentiment...

both of my sons are in the mix so i don't want to get too crazy on a silly message board, but...

we have a new coach who is highly motivated and i am hopeful for bigger waves from the US, but, that might not become fully realized until '28...

Not feigned. I recall a user here having a son who competed for the US GR team, in cadet or junior worlds recently, right? Best of luck to them. 

6 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Not feigned. I recall a user here having a son who competed for the US GR team, in cadet or junior worlds recently, right? Best of luck to them. 

thank you...

my 19 year old was the U20 rep at 60kg this summer... he wrestled Leivesi (sp) his first match... it was eye opening to say the least...

my 17 year old was 5th at U17 in 2021, but, stumbled a little in the semis at trials this year...

Edited by LJB
because i am not that bright...

6 hours ago, LJB said:

thank you...

my 19 year old was the U20 rep at 60kg this summer... he wrestled Leivesi (sp) his first match... it was eye opening to say the least...

my 17 year old was 5th at U17 in 2021, but, stumbled a little in the semis at trials this year...

Ah yes, Esmaeili. I remember that. No shame in losing the gold medalist and Japan. Keep us posted with their development!

Although the title is lost. Not a bad result really and I think in the long run a great event for lessons for what really matters-the Olympics.

Iran was always going to essentially be 0-2 down starting this with 57kg and 61kg. 61kg was just pure experience for someone very very young and raw. 57kg Sarlak would have won, and Javan would have made it closer. But it's fine. 57kg looks to be Iran's weakest weight for Paris. Javan probably will be the rep as things look just under 2 years out. Hopefully he can really improve from now until then to be a medal contender.

Rahman was great. I always felt it would benefit Yianni more than Rahman though with them facing each other so soon. Yianni made adjustments to make it closer, and their team will make adjustments again based on this. Remember here the aim is Paris. No one will care about this match or even this match in comparison to that. Same goes for Yaz/DT. The Iranian coaching team need to build a strategy to score points off the position when the USA go to their knees to avoid push outs. It seems to be a tactic now widely used. Rahman is the rep though for Paris.

Probably the only 2 results that surprised me in bad and good ways was Yazdani losing at 70kg and Firouzpour winning at 74kg. Amir Mohammad shouldn't be losing that match. I've never met Savadkouhi, he looks quite solid at 79kg, I don't know if he can make 74kg, I doubt it, but with wins over JB and Sidakov his confidence must be sky high. Between him Nokhodi and Emami 74 isn't as bad as once thought, although it is a big if if Savadkouhi and even Nokhodi can make that weight.

86kg will be Hassan or Kamran. This was a great test. And I have so much respect for Kamran for wrestling Kyle at a over 10kg disadvantage. And it showed. It was purely a size issue, and Kamran I am sure will now not be pondering between 2 weights but know that 86kg is his path for Olympics. If he beats Hassan I see him only having a challenge in DT. Once again a huge shame that both won't be in Paris.

The 97kg situation in Iran for Paris....I still don't see anyone beating Mohammadian in 2023. There will need to be some big leaps from guys like Goleij, Shabani and Azarpira. Not sure what will happen.

By Paris time I truly believe Zare and Masoumi will be clear top 2 heavyweights in the world. I am not sure in which order.

51 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

Although the title is lost. Not a bad result really and I think in the long run a great event for lessons for what really matters-the Olympics.

Iran was always going to essentially be 0-2 down starting this with 57kg and 61kg. 61kg was just pure experience for someone very very young and raw. 57kg Sarlak would have won, and Javan would have made it closer. But it's fine. 57kg looks to be Iran's weakest weight for Paris. Javan probably will be the rep as things look just under 2 years out. Hopefully he can really improve from now until then to be a medal contender.

Rahman was great. I always felt it would benefit Yianni more than Rahman though with them facing each other so soon. Yianni made adjustments to make it closer, and their team will make adjustments again based on this. Remember here the aim is Paris. No one will care about this match or even this match in comparison to that. Same goes for Yaz/DT. The Iranian coaching team need to build a strategy to score points off the position when the USA go to their knees to avoid push outs. It seems to be a tactic now widely used. Rahman is the rep though for Paris.

Probably the only 2 results that surprised me in bad and good ways was Yazdani losing at 70kg and Firouzpour winning at 74kg. Amir Mohammad shouldn't be losing that match. I've never met Savadkouhi, he looks quite solid at 79kg, I don't know if he can make 74kg, I doubt it, but with wins over JB and Sidakov his confidence must be sky high. Between him Nokhodi and Emami 74 isn't as bad as once thought, although it is a big if if Savadkouhi and even Nokhodi can make that weight.

86kg will be Hassan or Kamran. This was a great test. And I have so much respect for Kamran for wrestling Kyle at a over 10kg disadvantage. And it showed. It was purely a size issue, and Kamran I am sure will now not be pondering between 2 weights but know that 86kg is his path for Olympics. If he beats Hassan I see him only having a challenge in DT. Once again a huge shame that both won't be in Paris.

The 97kg situation in Iran for Paris....I still don't see anyone beating Mohammadian in 2023. There will need to be some big leaps from guys like Goleij, Shabani and Azarpira. Not sure what will happen.

By Paris time I truly believe Zare and Masoumi will be clear top 2 heavyweights in the world. I am not sure in which order.

I agree with most of your comments.  Iran's primary focus was not to win the cup, but to evaluate some young wrestlers, and also to evaluate Ghassempour at 97 kg.  I Kamran had wrestled at 92, Iran probably could have won the dual meet

My bad surprises were Yazdani and Karimi losing.  My good surprises were Savadkoui and MS Firouzpour winning.

I predict Azarpira will overtake Mohammadian in 97, and Massoumi will overtake Zare in time for the Olympics

If Iran can field competitive wrestlers at 57 and 74, Iran may very well medal at every weight class in Paris

5 minutes ago, Irani said:

I agree with most of your comments.  Iran's primary focus was not to win the cup, but to evaluate some young wrestlers, and also to evaluate Ghassempour at 97 kg.  I Kamran had wrestled at 92, Iran probably could have won the dual meet

My bad surprises were Yazdani and Karimi losing.  My good surprises were Savadkoui and MS Firouzpour winning.

I predict Azarpira will overtake Mohammadian in 97, and Massoumi will overtake Zare in time for the Olympics

If Iran can field competitive wrestlers at 57 and 74, Iran may very well medal at every weight class in Paris

As always, the draw will be important and we still have a whole to go. But 86, 125, and 65 are not just medal hopefuls but all will be vying for Gold. Which is pretty cool. 97kg Iran should medal whoever they send really. 74kg will depend a lot on luck and the draw if a medal is possible. 57kg is very unlikely at this stage to see a medal.

What now intrigues me is what will happen for Kamran vs Hassan. If Kamran will decide to go to 86kg from this year, or stay at 92 and wait it out till next year.

At the moment I still think Hassan beats him.

18 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

As always, the draw will be important and we still have a whole to go. But 86, 125, and 65 are not just medal hopefuls but all will be vying for Gold. Which is pretty cool. 97kg Iran should medal whoever they send really. 74kg will depend a lot on luck and the draw if a medal is possible. 57kg is very unlikely at this stage to see a medal.

What now intrigues me is what will happen for Kamran vs Hassan. If Kamran will decide to go to 86kg from this year, or stay at 92 and wait it out till next year.

At the moment I still think Hassan beats him.

I agree with everything you wrote.  If there is any chance Savadkoui or Nokhodi can cut down to 74, iran should medal there too

On Paper, Kamran should be very competitive against Hassan. Based on history, I just don't see Hassan losing.  There is only one guy on the planet that seems to be able to beat Hassan consistently/

4 hours ago, Erfan said:

Hello, I’m Erfan. I’ve been following Iranian wrestling since I can remember and a friend told me about this forum so I’ve decided to join. Hopefully I can discuss and learn more about both FS & GR here. 🫡

Welcome 

On 12/12/2022 at 11:20 PM, Uwwdoc said:

86kg will be Hassan or Kamran. This was a great test. And I have so much respect for Kamran for wrestling Kyle at a over 10kg disadvantage. And it showed. It was purely a size issue, and Kamran I am sure will now not be pondering between 2 weights but know that 86kg is his path for Olympics. 

I really hope the decision isn't set in stone yet. As a fan it was great seeing Kamran go up and give us all the match we wanted, but honestly it would be a shame to base his whole 97 future on this one match.

Huge respect to him for taking the challenge, but to go in cold for your first ever match at 97kg against Snyder is an insane ask. Didn't even try out the weight against Japan or the UWW team, just straight in against the no.2, and prob the most physically strong guy, at the weight. I know he looked undersized but I'd love to see him against other competition at the weight.

(Also, hello everyone! During worlds I was lurking so hard literally everyday on the old forum I thought I'd sign up here)

2 hours ago, kmrabr said:

I really hope the decision isn't set in stone yet. As a fan it was great seeing Kamran go up and give us all the match we wanted, but honestly it would be a shame to base his whole 97 future on this one match.

Huge respect to him for taking the challenge, but to go in cold for your first ever match at 97kg against Snyder is an insane ask. Didn't even try out the weight against Japan or the UWW team, just straight in against the no.2, and prob the most physically strong guy, at the weight. I know he looked undersized but I'd love to see him against other competition at the weight.

(Also, hello everyone! During worlds I was lurking so hard literally everyday on the old forum I thought I'd sign up here)

Welcome. I think the issue with Kamran is that he says he can't gain any more weight (beyond c. 90kg) so he will always be undersized and that's not a problem that will go away. That's why it makes more sense for him to go to 86kg. 

44 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Welcome. I think the issue with Kamran is that he says he can't gain any more weight (beyond c. 90kg) so he will always be undersized and that's not a problem that will go away. That's why it makes more sense for him to go to 86kg. 

Yeah that’s fair enough, would still like to see him one more time at a ranking tournament or something though. If Karimi can pick up wins at 97 I feel Kamran can medal.

Dunno maybe I’m overlooking Azarpira’s potential, Paris is a long way away still, but I can’t see Kamran beating Hassan and I’m desperate for a new rep for us at 97.

38 minutes ago, kmrabr said:

Yeah that’s fair enough, would still like to see him one more time at a ranking tournament or something though. If Karimi can pick up wins at 97 I feel Kamran can medal.

Dunno maybe I’m overlooking Azarpira’s potential, Paris is a long way away still, but I can’t see Kamran beating Hassan and I’m desperate for a new rep for us at 97.

I agree, Kamran probably could medal at 97kg. It's not a particularly strong weight class. Azarpira's win over Tsakulov was impressive and the best win of his career, but he lost at junior worlds earlier this year too which is quite strange. To me the obvious choice at 97kg is Goleij. He is in his prime, more reliable than the others, and proven at the weight class. He ended the Odikadze curse and was beating Snyder 2-1 with 7 seconds to go before he tried to go for a push out and gave up the TD... But I hope Azarpira comes good, he clearly has potential. 

Edited by The Genius

5 hours ago, kmrabr said:

I think this was the acid test. And a good one at that. Kamran is just not a 97kg wrestler. He is a fantastic wrestler, but a 86kg wrestler. Hell he is undersized for 92kg let alone 97kg.

He won't go for 97kg now and it is the right decision after that match. That was the test and I'm glad they done it. He is just purely undersized.

Something we also shouldn't take for granted-even if he did decide to go to 97kg, it wouldn't be a walk in the park for him either domestically, Mohammadian, Goleij, etc are all strong true 97kg wrestlers who are no pushover. I think Mohammadian beats him. The size is no joke. Ebrahimi got a win over Kamran in trials recently.

His focus will now all be on 86kg, and to be honest he only has two wrestlers he really needs to concentrate on. Yazdani to make the Olympic team and Taylor for gold. Sucks that 92kg isn't an Olympic weight.