Iran wrestling news

6 hours ago, Irani said:

by the way, one piece of advice:  if you run across anyone on this forum that makes comments that you find offensive, false or just stupid, do not engage. Just use the ignore function.  I have used it against one guy and it works great!

Thank you. Always good to know 🙏🏻

29 minutes ago, kkiane said:

Heard some rumours that some of our World Cup team is missing visas to go to America. Is this true? They also say it could be catastrophic if we don’t take part.

Not rumours. It's fact. They were due to fly tonight. 7 members including one ref, 2 coaches and a team leader  and 3 wrestlers I believe.

I believe they will still attend. If not then they may he banned from Asian Championships and in turn the Worlds.

Just now, Uwwdoc said:

Not rumours. It's fact. They were due to fly tonight. 7 members including one ref, 2 coaches and a team leader  and 3 wrestlers I believe.

I believe they will still attend. If not then they may he banned from Asian Championships and in turn the Worlds.

Sorry for this but you think the wrestlers who have visa issue will still attend or just the ones that have visas?

The 3 wrestlers are at 86kg 97kg and 70kg. Iran has Baby Yaz who is also attending at 70kg. But at 86kg I think they only had Karimi and 97kg only had Azarpira. So maybe a silver lining will be Kamran actually going up to fill the 97kg void!?! All a mess really. But if it manages to get us to see Kamran vs Snyder then it would be a nice silver lining!

2 minutes ago, kkiane said:

Sorry for this but you think the wrestlers who have visa issue will still attend or just the ones that have visas?

I doubt any of the folks who haven't been granted visas by now will go. As I said above though. I think Karimi was the only 86kg. What happens now. Does Savadkoui go up a weight?? Does Kamran go to 97? All a mess.

Just now, Uwwdoc said:

I doubt any of the folks who haven't been granted visas by now will go. As I said above though. I think Karimi was the only 86kg. What happens now. Does Savadkoui go up a weight?? Does Kamran go to 97? All a mess.

The real question is why hold a World Cup in a country which doesn’t allow competition to travel there?

2 minutes ago, Irani said:

Dabir had previously stated that if they deny visas to any of the Iranian contingent, the team would not go.  Has he officially backtracked?

I guess the consequences of doing that this time at a UWW world cup coming into a Olympic qualification year is a lot more different than a flo wrestling exhibition match. I believe the rest of the team are still going as things stand.

3 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

I guess the consequences of doing that this time at a UWW world cup coming into a Olympic qualification year is a lot more different than a flo wrestling exhibition match. I believe the rest of the team are still going as things stand.

It looks that way جام جهانی برای ۳ ملی پوش ایران دردسرساز شد/ اولتیماتوم نهایی برای کنار گذاشتن تیم ملی (khabarvarzeshi.com)

The silver lining is that we may seem Ghassempour at 97
I feel bad for Karimi, he's entire career has been fucked by stupid political crap that he has nothing to do with
I also really wanted to see Azarpara compete against quality seniors

UWW should never let countries like US, Iran, and others that refuse to issue visas to qualified teams host UWW sanctioned events.  Host them in Japan, India, Canada, Switzerland, etc.

9 minutes ago, Irani said:

It looks that way جام جهانی برای ۳ ملی پوش ایران دردسرساز شد/ اولتیماتوم نهایی برای کنار گذاشتن تیم ملی (khabarvarzeshi.com)

The silver lining is that we may seem Ghassempour at 97
I feel bad for Karimi, he's entire career has been fucked by stupid political crap that he has nothing to do with
I also really wanted to see Azarpara compete against quality seniors

UWW should never let countries like US, Iran, and others that refuse to issue visas to qualified teams host UWW sanctioned events.  Host them in Japan, India, Canada, Switzerland, etc.

Yeah I feel for Azarpira and Karimi too.

I think UWW will need to look into this. The greco world cup is meant to be in Iran next year and the fs in the USA again.

39 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

I know this has happened before, but why is the USA blocking certain visas?

Hi @Y2CJ41

They do not provide an official reason

legitimate reasons for denying entry visas are

1. Applicant does not have a legitimate reason to enter

2. applicant poses a risk to the xoubtey

3. applicant may not have the financial reasons to support himself while bisiting

4. applicant may really be looking to stay permanently 

BS reasons include 

1. political need with the government is the applicant, use this to remind the applicant’s government that the two governments are not friends 

in the last, the speculation was that Ghassempour was denied a visa because he served in the military.  This time he was granted a visa, so they are not consistent 

13 minutes ago, Irani said:

Hi @Y2CJ41

They do not provide an official reason

legitimate reasons for denying entry visas are

1. Applicant does not have a legitimate reason to enter

2. applicant poses a risk to the xoubtey

3. applicant may not have the financial reasons to support himself while bisiting

4. applicant may really be looking to stay permanently 

BS reasons include 

1. political need with the government is the applicant, use this to remind the applicant’s government that the two governments are not friends 

in the last, the speculation was that Ghassempour was denied a visa because he served in the military.  This time he was granted a visa, so they are not consistent 

Thanks, I remember last year when they were supposed to wrestle here and didn't get in. 

Hopefully the right strings are pulled to get the athletes at least over here.

2 hours ago, Uwwdoc said:

Why would Iran be banned from the Asian Championships because the US refuses to grant Iranian athletes visas for the World Cup? 

14 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Why would Iran be banned from the Asian Championships because the US refuses to grant Iranian athletes visas for the World Cup? 

UWW said if you don't participate in the World Cup you would face penalties up to banning from continentals and worlds. Not sure what they would do in this case if the USA doesn't allow them to come.

2 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Thanks, I remember last year when they were supposed to wrestle here and didn't get in. 

Hopefully the right strings are pulled to get the athletes at least over here.

There was a bit of a difference between the two incidents

1. The previous event was a "friendly" non UWW sanctioned event.  While the sequence of events made the US Wrestling federation look really bad (invite someone to an event, and then fail to secure visas for them), you could make an argument that is it within the right of any country not to issue visas to people they don't like
  2. This time the situation is more serious.  UWW awards hosting honors to a country, and there is an understanding that the host country will allow those who to qualify to compete in the event.  I hope and expect that the UWW will ban the US from hosting any future UWW events.  Countries like US and Iran should not be allowed to host events.

As a side note, the next soccer world cup will be co-hosted by the US.  I wonder if they will pull the same stunt for soccer.  I doubt it, since FIFA has a lot more pull than UWW