Iran wrestling news

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

Tso gents that US werr expecting Gold/Silver out of in Carr and Cassioppi both lost to gents nobody thought they would at 74/125.

To be fair to Cass that guy was huge. He looks a similar stature to Masoumi which has me worried lol.

Both Firouzpours are in the SF along with Masoumi. Masoumi will wrestle Yergali, AH Firouzpour will wrestle Akturk and MS Firouzpour will wrestle the Georgian who defeated Carr (USA). 

Habibzadeh and Gholami are both out. 

From yesterday, the 65kg guy won his repechage matches and will wrestle Ukraine for Bronze while Amir Yazdani and Azarpira will both wrestle for Gold later today. 

I'm not sure how the team title is looking but I would guess with a maximum of 6 medals we are close but not running away with it?

Just now, The Genius said:

Both Firouzpours are in the SF along with Masoumi. Masoumi will wrestle Yergali, AH Firouzpour will wrestle Akturk and MS Firouzpour will wrestle the Georgian who defeated Carr (USA). 

From yesterday, the 65kg guy won his repechage matches and will wrestle Ukraine for Bronze while Amir Yazdani and Azarpira will both wrestle for Gold later today. 

I'm not sure how the team title is looking but I would guess with a maximum of 6 medals we are close but not running away with it?

I think it’s Georgia’s

Just now, The Genius said:

Seriously? That's a bit unexpected. What if we win 5 Golds? We have H2H match ups with Georgia at 70kg and 74kg, presumably winning both of those would help

I think 5 golds would help but 5 golds is not what will happen. 

19 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Gholami can still be pulled in.

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Gholami can still be pulled in.

You're right - thanks. So our max is 5 Golds (Yazdani, AH Firouzpour, MS Firouzpour, Azarpira and Masoumi) and 2 Bronze (65kg guy and Gholami).

1 hour ago, kkiane said:

I think 5 golds would help but 5 golds is not what will happen. 

Of the 5 I think we have a good chance of 3-4 golds, only little Firouzpour I'm not so sure about. 

Edited by The Genius

31 minutes ago, Irani said:

Are you including the GR results when you make that statement?

Yeah at least Yousefi medalled lol. I always thought Carr would be the next big thing out of America, JB-esque. I believe Nokhodi has previously lost to him as well. Georgia really came here to play though so maybe if he wasn't injured we'd see Carr get pulled back in.

33 minutes ago, Irani said:

Are you including the GR results when you make that statement?

I am Including Greco when I say Cardenes beating the Georgian is the biggest, for me.

Cardenes isn't Top 10 at any style for the US, domestically.  Hidlay, our 86 KG, would wipe the mat with him.

2 minutes ago, Amir.Sol said:

Yeah at least Yousefi medalled lol. I always thought Carr would be the next big thing out of America, JB-esque. I believe Nokhodi has previously lost to him as well. Georgia really came here to play though so maybe if he wasn't injured we'd see Carr get pulled back in.

Carr has a tendency to kind if close off when gents make him get tough.  Gantt, a gatekeeper at 74/79 KG who tends to make it a teat of grit and attrition showed this at the 2020(1) Olympic Trials, just like the Georgian did today.  He is fast, slick, and very good... he lacks a certain element of toughess when it comes down to it, though.

All 3 semi finals won - big win for AH to tech the current European champ. I didn't see Masoumi's match - looks like it was close? His final with the massive Georgian should be interesting. 

We must be in a better position for the team title now as Iran beat Georgia at 74kg and the Georgian at 92kg lost his SF. Gholami also pulled back into repechage at 86kg while the Georgian lost his SF

Edited by The Genius