Covering Facial Hair (Full Beard)

Clint Gard

I have a young man who cannot cut his hair or shave due to religious and ethnic standards.  We spoke with Robert Faulkens and he said there are "several ways for the athlete to cover their facial hair."  He didn't offer any suggestions.  Anyone have any idea, besides a facemask, that an athlete can cover their facial hair?  

Coach,

I've had this a couple times in my career. Some officials would allow them to wear a beard cover, similar to a hair cover that attaches to the head gear. These particular athletes were always JV, so most officials understood they were just out trying to learn the sport and didn't care. I did have a few officials (not naming names) who were ADAMENTLY opposed to them using that claiming it to be illegal despite Robert having sent an email for us to print with his approval to utilize it. I always had a facemask on hand for these circumstances and gave the athlete the choice of wearing it or letting a teammate wrestle the match instead. They always chose to wear it. 

Frustrating situation for sure. I hope you get a little more clarification from IHSAA to help your athlete! Good luck this season.

The more documentation the better.  Since this matter falls under the field of a religious exemption situation any paperwork you can have related to that status, as well as, the IHSAA acknowledging it would help.  Hopefully, presenting that type of documentation and some type of face covering before competition would  satisfy most referee inquiries.   

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.