Changing Starting Weights in the Individual State Tournament

infowrestling

We already draw a starting weight for dual meets........ would we be able to switch the starting weights for the individual portion of our State Tournament?

I've had the opportunity to coach a few solid Heavyweights, and I always feel for those individuals, because they see the crowd start to thin by the time they get to wrestle.  I took a look at the Michigan Individual State Tournament, and it looks like they announce the starting weight ahead of time, and they do not go from lightest to heaviest.  

https://www.mhsaa.com/sports/wrestling

Thoughts?

I've read through the thread, and the intention for switching the starting weight class wouldn't necessarily be to have the best match last.  The intention would be to give different weight classes the opportunity to experience more fan support. 

Personally I would like to have a random draw starting weight at each level (Sectionals, regionals, etc.)

I would also..........but I do think that stating the starting weight ahead of time, would cause less issues. If the starting weights were published ahead of time, you would have less fan/parent complaints about not knowing 182 would be the starting weight class at Sectional, showing up late, and missing Phil's first round match at Sectional.

I would also..........but I do think that stating the starting weight ahead of time, would cause less issues. If the starting weights were published ahead of time, you would have less fan/parent complaints about not knowing 182 would be the starting weight class at Sectional, showing up late, and missing Phil's first round match at Sectional.

Yeah, I think that a random draw for each level could happen after conferences are completed. Then everyone would have at least a few days to plan for sectionals and 4 weeks to plan for state.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.