Interesting read with superbowl coming

leaveitonthemat

This is the point I will bring up to some kids who claim they are not doing a winter sport because they want to "lift for football."   Way more often than not, they hit the weights a couple times before being a couch potato for the rest of the winter.  I have tried telling some kids if they truly want to get better at football, they need to get in the wrestling room. 

By the way, I know there are supposed to be spaces after the period to end a sentence.  Not sure why it shows up when I type, but not after it is posted to the forum.

Edited by Y2CJ41

I have been pushing hard for the past 8-9 years to get some of the bigger football players into the wrestling room. Problem is they think they have to lose weight, when they don't need to do anything except keep eating. Some of Whiteland's best line have wrestled for at least a year or two at the middle school level. How much better could they be if they continued to wrestle?

I just don't understand why some of these football coaches still don't catch on to this, especially for their linemen. Nick Hardwick for example, never even played HS football and only wrestled. Still became a very good O lineman at Purdue and on to the SD Chargers.

I think the majority of the football coaches know the benefits of wrestling.  I coached under Chris Meeks at Rensselaer for several years before he decided to concentrate on Football....with great results I might add.  He has pushed for his kids not playing a winter sport to come out for wrestling.  I know I am preaching to the choir when I say it is a very difficult sport with little recognition when compared with football or basketball.....so not always the most attractive to kids these days. 

Good Lord....I sound like my grandpa.

Edited by hogleg

I work at the middle school level and talk to our football players daily about wrestling, the benefits, and about NFL players that were successful due to wrestling (Roddy White has done a great job promoting the sport).  The biggest hurdle i've found is that most of my kids will not try it due to having to wear a singlet.  We are fortunate to be able to provide transportation, cover the costs if needed, and football coaches aren't against it.  The singlet is just a big hangup for them.  I know that flowrestling has already adapted a new wrestling uniform involving shorts and compression shirt.  I think moving in that direction will help.  I know it didn't bother any of us, but times have changed and the kids are not like we were!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.