Two new "interpretations" of the rules by Mr. Faulkens

Clint Gard

I was told yesterday at our Super 8 that Mr. Faulkens has "interpreted" two rules and instructed officials to call them in the following manner:

#1 if a wrestler is injured and has a possible concussion, the injury time is not supposed to start until a trainer or doctor can get to the mat to diagnose that it is a possible concussion.

#2 if shoelaces come untied at any point during the match, even if they were properly secured at the beginning of the match as stated in our rule book, injury time will begin until the laces are secured and the opposing wrestler will be given 1 point for a penalty.

Apparently there was an email sent to all officials with the instructions to interpret these two rules in this manner.  I was also told all coaches should have received this same information.

Two questions:

Has anyone else heard this?

How can Mr. Faulkens change the rules with 2 weeks until sectional?

If a shoelace comes untied, it obviously wasn't properly secured to begin with. Its a chance you take by not taping or using velcro to secure the laces. As far as the concussion situation , with all the emphasis on concussion safety it makes a lot of sense to let the medical personnel have the whole minute and a half to evaluate the wrestler, Safety first

In a match I was watching Saturday I saw a wrestler retyinng his shoes during the match with no penalty (the wrestler did have some sort of closure on his shoes, but it obviously was not working).  I asked the Official (who is a top IHSAA Official) about this and he told me that they had been told that if the lacwes come untied during the match they cannot penalize the wrestler because either the Official missed it at the start of the match or the laces were actually secured when the match started and something happened to make them not secured.  He likened it to a headgear that is fine at the start of a match and then becomes damaged.  The "new" interpretation is just another in a long line of changing things as we go.  I think it is correct though.....the laces should be tied and secured and not come untied or unsecured.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.