FW Semi State State Champions

Major Ursula

Sturgill and Rader from peru could have a good shot at a title this year, Rader was dominating avon friday night at state last year until avon got on top, but he has been working his but off like every other wrestler this off season and was a qualifier at 160 as a freshman. Sturgill is tough.

who is the champ out of the FW semi state this season? I can't find one, depending on weights. There are a lot of champs returning.

�we gauge the success of the semi state by getting one state champ per season?�

Fewest placers, fewest finalists, fewest champs. Until Fort Wayne schools improve, it's not getting better.�

I'm not able to tell you who the champ is out of the FW SS because the tournament hasn't been wrestled. There are athletes that have potential to place very high at the state tournament and they shouldn't be written off because of the Semi State they come from. I am not saying that a FW SS wrester is guaranteed to win a state title I am only saying that each wrestlers potential should be analyzed individually and they shouldn't be written off because of their Semi State.

I also wasn't arguing for the success of the FW SS just�that some�wrestlers who come out of it and are able to compete with wrestlers from other semi states.

You may be too nearsighted to see. I feel Y2 with the returning champs. However they aren't crowned yet. I've been around the sport for 30 years and I've seen it all. I have 5 friends from Fort Wayne who won state. I have 5 more acquaintances and teammates who have won state. One thing the all had in common. They told me prior to winning state: I'm winning state. It may sound simple and rather general; when someone tells me that I believe them. Believe it or not most people don't say I'm going to win state. That's why they don't. No disrespect but most of the schools in Fort Wayne have coaches who don't come from Elite Programs so they don't aim high and try to temper those with high goals to lower their aspirations. This type of mentality has been allowed to seep into the psyche of Fort Wayne wrestlers. Not in my camp: I don't care what happened last year. There will be guys from our area competing for and winning state titles unless I break my soul.

You may be too nearsighted to see. I feel Y2 with the returning champs. However they aren't crowned yet. I've been around the sport for 30 years and I've seen it all. I have 5 friends from Fort Wayne who won state. I have 5 more acquaintances and teammates who have won state. One thing the all had in common. They told me prior to winning state: I'm winning state. It may sound simple and rather general; when someone tells me that I believe them. Believe it or not most people don't say I'm going to win state. That's why they don't. No disrespect but most of the schools in Fort Wayne have coaches who don't come from Elite Programs so they don't aim high and try to temper those with high goals to lower their aspirations. This type of mentality has been allowed to seep into the psyche of Fort Wayne wrestlers. Not in my camp: I don't care what happened last year. There will be guys from our area competing for and winning state titles unless I break my soul.

If you are referring to me being nearsighted I would have to disagree. I am arguing that athletes shouldn't be written off because of the Semi-State that they come from regardless of the Semi-State's overall success.

I also know that there are a lot of athletes who say they are going to win state and truly believe it but unfortunately it doesn't come to fruition. Stating that you are going to win a state title and then not preparing or executing on it won't automatically give you a state title.

Also, just because a wrestler doesn't come from an elite program doesn't mean they can't find success as a wrestler or as a coach. it seems that you normally fight for the underdog or the wrestlers who are not as well known so it seems weird that you have the feeling that coaches who aren't from elite programs would stifle the dreams or success of a wrestler. I think that most coaches would try to assist their wrestlers in realizing the effort that is needed in order to accomplish their goals. Wrestlers at different levels will need varying levels of effort to accomplish the same goal.

Also, just because a wrestler doesn't come from an elite program doesn't mean they can't find success as a wrestler or as a coach. it seems that you normally fight for the underdog or the wrestlers who are not as well known so it seems weird that you have the feeling that coaches who aren't from elite programs would stifle the dreams or success of a wrestler. I think that most coaches would try to assist their wrestlers in realizing the effort that is needed in order to accomplish their goals. Wrestlers at different levels will need varying levels of effort to accomplish the same goal.

It's not "weird" it's my most recent experience. I do fight for the underdog because the underdog needs me. However I come from a generational wrestling family and Elite wrestling programs in high school and college. Why is that relevant? Because I know good wrestling, good leadership, and a winning mentality that is sourly lacking in some coaches in this area who are not only inept but also dream killers. Some won't like that I said that but I'll never win a popularity contest. What I will do is do my part to make certain your flacid assessment of the area does not come to fruition. I believe in visualization of a champions verbiage causing karmic fruitions.

Jacob Grey can compete at any weight that doesn't have Drew Hughes in it. This year in an anomaly as we have 8 returning state champions along with 2014 champ Jer Reitz. That is probably the most ever as we usually have 7+ senior state champs.

If Gray goes 170, he should be ranked very high to start the season and a legitimate state title contender.  With Hughes possibly going 160 (he's there for the Super 32) and Cameron Jones seemingly up at 182, 170 could be fairly wide open.  Baumgartner could also start the year highly ranked if he's there.  

Edited by maligned

If Gray goes 170, he should be ranked very high to start the season and a legitimate state title contender. With Hughes possibly going 160 (he's there for the Super 32) and Cameron Jones seemingly up at 182, 170 could be fairly wide open. Baumgartner could also start the year highly ranked if he's there.

Basically wherever Hughes goes, the other weight is open for Fort Wayne. If he goes 160, Gray and Baumgartner could win 170. If he goes 170 then 160 is open for Laughlin.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.