tOSU Football Recruit Stats

matts

Not surprising at all. If i were a football coach, I'd want guys that are as team-oriented as possible, obviously. Playing multiple sports can definitely help cultivate that sort of mindset. I know it's brought up every year, but who are some of our elite wrestlers that also participate in other sports, other than bigger guys that play football? Any baseball players? Tennis? Soccer?

I heard Tom Ryan share a similar message. He said most of the OSU wrestling team is comprised of guys who were multi-sport athletes in high school. I think Stiebers were baseball players.

It is an interesting debate that has been going on for the last 15-20 years as "specialization" has become commonplace. I am curious if we see a shift in this practice back to more multi-sport athletes due to overuse injuries, burnout etc.

Playing more than one sport must produce a more dynamic athlete, in the recruiting opinion of OSU. I'm not an OSU fan but I definitely respect the knowledge and experience of Tom Ryan and Urban Meyer.

I am curious if we see a shift in this practice back to more multi-sport athletes due to overuse injuries, burnout etc.

Not if you talk to most "expert" parents.  The only way to get a scholarship is specialization.  They don't realize how rare a D1 athlete is.  Also, I've experienced a lot of AAU/Travel/Club coaches making promises to kids/parents about their son/daughter being a D1 caliber player if they just put more time in to that sport.  

How many athletes walking the halls could improve their other sports just by wrestling?  They would rather lift 3 days a week or go to easy open gyms a couple times a week and be lazy.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.