Bloomington South vs. Mater Dei

hook and half

This weekend, at the Castle 6-way, Bloomington South and Mater Dei will meet on the mat for the 36th time over six and a half decades.  The following are excerpts from my book "We are MD...A history of Mater Dei Wrestling." 

In 1950, Mater Dei became the 22nd Indiana school to field a wrestling team.  Coach Gus Peters intended for the 50/51 season to only serve as a development season.  However, so great was the progress of his charges, Peters decided to enter his team in the sectional.  A quick call to Indianapolis revealed that the Wildcats would be compelled to compete in a least one regular season match in order to compete in the sectional.  

As a result, on the Wednesday before the sectional, a meeting was hastily scheduled with Bloomington's junior varsity squad.  The team left school at noon in order to allow time for the long drive. 

“We knew about Bloomington, with all of their State Championships and how good they were,” recalled Tom Scheller.  “Gus tried to keep us loose.  They had a lot of people there to watch.  They had proper uniforms and warm-ups.  We were pretty nervous; we didn’t know if we would get our necks broken.”

Mater Dei won 6 of 11 matches, but lost the dual, 21-20.

The Mater Dei community quickly adopted wrestling as a major sport.  Large numbers of athletes swelled the wrestling room and in 1953, Mater Dei claimed its first State Champion. 

Joe Gossman took the reins in 1956.  A navy boxer and college football player, Gossman was a hard-driving, cigar-chomping old-school taskmaster.  Gossman built upon Peters' success.  Soon, the Wildcats dominated Evansville-area schools and regularly defeated opponents from Indianapolis. 

The Wildcats began the 1958-59 campaign under tough conditions.  In the pre-dawn hours of that December 13th morning, the team gathered in Mater Dei’s parking lot and was met with frosty, ten-degree temperatures.  A long, cold ride to Bloomington was in front of them.  Tougher yet, was what was waiting for the ‘Cats—the powerful Bloomington Panthers.

The 17-time Indiana State Champions were coached by the legendary Clifford “Two Bit” Myers.  A high school State Champion, Myers also wrestled at Indiana University.  A fiery competitor, Myers found his match in Joe Gossman.  Seldom was there a meet involving Mater Dei and Bloomington where the two would not experience a testy exchange.  Red-faced confrontations were a usual and customary occurrence.  Off the mat, it was a different story.  The pair enjoyed a collegial relationship, often sharing dinner or drinks—after the day’s hostilities had ceased.

Gossman worked hard to get his Wildcats top-notch competition.  He found it in Bloomington, along with great frustration.  The Bloomington boys had a huge fan following, top-notch gear and a rich wrestling tradition.  Mater Dei countered with a very small fan base—few, if any, parents or fans attended away meets.  The Wildcats wore wear mis-matched sweats as warm-ups and wrestled bare-chested with long tights.  Worst of all, the Wildcats had never beaten the Panthers.  Joe Gossman needed his team to slay the Bloomington dragon.  Bloomington was led by 112 pound Dennis Hutcherson.  Hutcherson placed third in the 1958 State Final and second in the 1959 State Final.

The Wildcats were led by senior Jerry Head.  Head placed fourth in the 1959 State Final.  Loryl Lackey, Mike Jankowski, Bob Petrig and Mike Helfrich were also stand-out wrestlers for the Red and Gold.

Adults paid 25 cents to see the match while students were charged 15.

In the opening the match, the ‘Cats got a break.  Bloomington’s 95-pounder was sick, so Loryl Lackey claimed a win by forfeit.  At 103 pounds, Jim Seibert squeezed out a crucial, 3-2 win over Housit to put the ‘Cats on top 8-0.  Myers’ gamesmanship backfired at 112 pounds.  Banking that his star, Dennis Hutcherson, could win at 120, Myers bumped him up and inserted Walker at 112.  Jim Russler took full advantage, pinning Walker with only nine seconds remaining in the match to make it 13-0.  Hutcherson did win at 120, but Mater Dei’s Ed Schnautz minimized the damage, losing 7-0.  Richard Head gave up a pin at 133, but Jerry Head snatched the lead back, beat George Finley, 3-1.  Mike Jankowski scored a first period takedown that held up for a 3-1 win over Calvert.  A few moments into the second period, Bob Petrig managed to turn Bruce and score a huge fall for the ‘Cats.  Regular starter Fred Wahnsiedler was sick and unavailable to wrestle.  His backup, Lee, succumbed to a pin at 154 pounds.

Down 24-13, the Panthers would need to sweep the final three matches and score bonus points in order to prevail.  Mike Helfrich lost a tight, 6-3 decision to Rawlins followed by Rodger Duncan’s 4-0 loss to Taylor.  Now down 24-19 Bloomington required a pin by their heavyweight, Davidson, in order to tie the match.  Mater Dei’s Jim Browning did his job and denied the Panthers any bonus points, losing to Davidson, 4-0.  Final Score:  Mater Dei- 24, Bloomington-22.  In Mater Dei’s eighth season, the victory over Bloomington marked the program’s most significant win. 

“This is a great win for Mater Dei,” exclaimed Gossman.  “A lot of people thought we would never be able to beat a team like Bloomington.  I think this opened up some eyes.”

After a 20-year career at Bloomington, Two Bit Myers retired in 1963.  Myers’ teams won eight State Championships and 35 individual titles. 

The annual series between Bloomington and Mater Dei extended sporadically through 1970.  During that period, Mater Dei went 3-4.  Bloomington has the dubious distinction of handing Mater Dei its two worst losses in the program’s history.  In 1967, Bloomington defeated Mater Dei, 50-5, followed by the 1969 debacle, a match Mater Dei lost 52-0.  The 1969 match also marks the only time a Mater Dei team has been shut out.  Bloomington South’s weapon—the cradle—was not well known by the Wildcats.  While aware that Bloomington would use it, Mater Dei was not adequately prepared to counter it.  The Panthers were very good with it and used it to wreak great destruction.  Joe Gossman was very unhappy with his team’s performance.

“He threw a fit,” said Art Happe.  “He, too, was unaware of the cradle.  But, his theory was, if you kept moving, no one could get a hold on you.  If you kept moving, you can’t get pinned.”

Tom Schapker was not so sure about the theory.

“You could just as easily move into the cradle,” Schapker said.

“That cradle was devastating,” said Mike Goebel.  “Coach Gossman was yelling at us, ‘Don’t let ‘em do that.’  ‘What are they doing, Coach?’ we asked.  He would say, ‘I don’t know, just don’t let them lock their hands.’”

In 1973, the Bloomington school district built a new school and named it Bloomington North.  The old Bloomington High became known as Bloomington South.

The Mater Dei/Bloomington South series resumed in 1991.  From then, through 2013, the Wildcats have posted a 20-2 mark against the Panthers.  In its 20 losses, Bloomington South averaged 12 points.  Mater Dei suffered a bitter loss to Bloomington South at the 2012 Indiana State Championship Duals.  Opening the match, spotting the Panthers two forfeits, the Wildcats scratched their way to a 30-30 tie, only to lose on the seventh criteria, the most points scored in individual contests. 

Regarded as one of Indiana’s great wrestling rivalries, fans and wrestlers circle the annual meeting on their calendars.  When the Panthers and the 'Cats take the mat, sparks are sure to fly.

Hook and a half I remember us beating mater dei 52-0 and yes the bloomington cradle was used and perfected by my father KAY HUTSELL. My dad is very sick now but still my IDOL

His health is declining everyday but I still remember joe grossman and his cigar and the battles waged verses he and my father those days are gone forever SADLY .

I remember when Bloomington wrestling was the stick by which Indiana wrestling programs were compared.

Those confrontations between your Dad and mine were EPIC!

We made sure he had one of those cigars in his breast pocket when he journeyed to that great sports arena in the sky.

Joe Gossman III

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.