seeding

deno54

Can someone please explain to me how a wrestler undefeated in three years, state champ in last two gets a number 7 seed in semi finals. I'm not from the Lake Central Area but I'm talking about Gelen Robinson @ 220 lbs. What a joke !!!!!!

It would seem that everybody in the wrestling world knows that he's the one to beat except for the people who do the seating.

Are you talking about the semi-state brackets? If so, there isn't any seeding applied to those brackets. Four regionals feed into each semi-state with the Champion of one regional facing a fourth place from another. The runner-up faces a third place from another regional. The brackets are also organized so the top 2 from any regional are in opposite halves of a bracket, in case they are also the top two in the semi-state. The regionals match-ups vary from weight to weight each year to try to make things random. So, Mr. Robinson's placement in the bracket only reflects his finish at regional, not his ability compared to the other wrestlers in his weight class.

Can someone please explain to me how a wrestler undefeated in three years, state champ in last two gets a number 7 seed in semi finals. I'm not from the Lake Central Area but I'm talking about Gelen Robinson @ 220 lbs. What a joke !!!!!!

It would seem that everybody in the wrestling world knows that he's the one to beat except for the people who do the seating.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Abraham Lincoln

Demo, each cluster of 4 wrestlers represents a 1v4 / 2v3 seed.

There are 4 regionals that feed into Semistate, so each cluster has a wrestler from each of the regionals.  Gelen is a 1 seed, facing a 4th place finisher from another regional.  The other part of his cluster is the 2nd and 3rd place finishers from the other regionals.

To advance to state, you must win your cluster of 4, making the second match of the day the "ticket round".  After that round, its all about placement because state brackets are setup in the same way

One of the best first posts of all time.  I'm not sure anything besides Gelen's name, his school, and his weight are accurate in that post.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.