Olympic Wrestling: The Path to Folkstyle Success

Coach Hull

A little evidence to support freestyle/Greco enhancing folkstyle.  You might see a few familiar names.    ;)

Indiana Participants at Fargo Last Year (2013)

Cadet    100 Drew Hildebrandt

Cadet 106 Austen Laughlin

Cadet 106 Austin Slates

Cadet 113 Caleb Bocock

Cadet 113 Will Egli

Cadet 120 Matt McKinney

Cadet    120 CJ Red

Cadet 120 Noah Warren

Cadet 126 Jack Chastain

Cadet 126 Nick Ellis

Cadet 126 Brett Johnson

Cadet 126 Nick Lee

Cadet 132 Alston Bane

Cadet 132 Evan Eldred

Cadet 132 Bryant Haynes

Cadet 132 Kain Rust

Cadet 138 Jacob Hendrich

Cadet 138 Blake Jourdan

Cadet    138 RZ Teague

Cadet 138 Anthony Williams

Cadet    145 Thomas Dull

Cadet 145 Kellen Vancamp

Cadet    152 Kyle Spurr

Cadet 152 Ben Stewart

Cadet 170 Dylan Lydy

Cadet    170 Jeremy McKinley

Cadet 170 Tristen Tonte

Cadet 182 Bristen Dial

Cadet 182 Jonathan Morales

Cadet 195 Jacob Cavins

Cadet 195 Randy Scott

Cadet 285 Shawn Streck

Junior  120 Jacob Cottey

Junior  120 Forrest Glogouski

Junior  120 Ruben Rodriquez Jr

Junior  126 AJ Belden

Junior  126 Erique Early

Junior  126 Brandon James

Junior  126 Deondre Wilson

Junior  132 Devin Broukal

Junior  132 Dillon Eldred

Junior  132 Alec Noworul

Junior  132 Dominique Shelby

Junior  138 Justin Atkinson

Junior  138 Wyatt Seng

Junior  145 Tommy Forte

Junior  152 Vincent Corsaro

Junior  152 Shabaka Johns

Junior  152 Matthew Ruddick

Junior  160 Chase Hack

Junior  160 Kenny Hughes

Junior  160 Alex Rinehart

Junior  170 Jacob Franklin

Junior  182 Riley Lefever

Junior  182 Austin McCloskey

Junior  195 Kevin Cain

Junior  195 Mitch Sliga

Junior  220 Fletcher Miller

Junior  220 Charles Neisius

Junior  220 Brad Sadilek

Junior  220 Connor Tolley

Junior  285 Wes Bernard

I think more IN wrestlers would attend Fargo if they were able to compete without the "team trip" scenario. Wrestlers should be able to compete as they do in the folkstyle national events without traveling with a team. JMO

I actually like the team aspect of it. it gives the kids who have competed against each other all year the chance to pull for each other as team mates... all with the same goals, to win a few matches in the toughest tournament of the year and God willing become All Americans together. With some of the rivalries between high schools and certain areas of the state, this is one of the only chances these kids will have to put all that aside and just be team mates. JMO

I actually like the team aspect of it. it gives the kids who have competed against each other all year the chance to pull for each other as team mates... all with the same goals, to win a few matches in the toughest tournament of the year and God willing become All Americans together. With some of the rivalries between high schools and certain areas of the state, this is one of the only chances these kids will have to put all that aside and just be team mates. JMO

I agree. I really like the team aspect as well and we've been traveling with "Team Indiana" duel teams for years without this type of scenario. And the comradery is just as you describe, yet we travel on our own. Another issue I do have though is that a lot of wrestlers have routines that they have been going through for years yet the team coaches will circumvent those routines with their own "training" and other plans that may go away from what some prefer to do to prepare. If a kid places in the top 4-6 they should be able to travel and compete if they choose, not only increasing the number of IN athletes in the tournament, but also giving much needed exposer. I'm not sure how someone could say we need more wrestlers wrestling freestyle and then the next minute put restrictions on which qualifiers can participate. Allowing only those that qualify is understandable, but then limiting the number of qualifying wresters that can attend is absolutely counterproductive. I'd love for my kids to wrestle at Fargo but given the current scenario, unfortunately, I doubt they will.

I use to think the same thing. But how many kids wouldn't be able to make it.  I'm sure there are a lot of parents that are unable to take time off of work.  I know I wouldn't  be able to take my son do to this little event in Indianapolis. 

Glad we are talking about this now!  Especially with the end of the h.s. season approaching and soooo much more wrestling to be done over the summer!  A few things....

1) This video is bigger than Fargo, it's about the overall importance of Freestyle and Greco in relation to Folkstyle.  Although Fargo is the pinnacle tournament for h.s. athletes, it is by no means the only tournament athletes can compete in to expand their knowledge of the Olympic styles.  Actually, it starts at the grassroots level in our practice rooms, the coach's office, at the dinner tables.  It starts by going to this Freestyle Open or that Greco open locally.  The more of those we get in, the better we are come time for ISWA state, the better we do as a state on the regional and national level.

2) In regards to Fargo, USAW has limits on the amount of kids that can participate in order to run an efficient tournament, therefor each state has their set limits as well.  It's already one of the largest, if not the largest, amateur wrestling tournament in the world.  But, yes, there are only a limited number of athletes allowed each weight, team, state, etc.

3) From my understanding, ANY kid who places top 3 at ISWA state, a USAW Regional, or the Cadet Nationals/Junior Worlds is eligible to go to Fargo.  There are petitions available as well, and it can all be a matter of who submits their money first.

4.) The team trip scenario is invaluable.  Over 95% of the kids that go say that the team comradery is one of the best parts about the trip.  When Wrestler A from the region gets to hang out with Wrestler B from the south, who both get the chance to rub shoulders with State Champ X from central Indiana, it's good for all.  These trips are how most, if not all, of Indiana's wrestlers create a lasting bond that would never have come to fruition if not for these trips.  The younger athletes learn from the older athletes they may look up to, and because of the higher expectations of the studs, it rubs off on the younger athletes, who in turn raise their expectations over the years.  No different from building a h.s. or middle school program when kids graduate and the next class or two are just as good.  It's almost the same reason teams go to Disney, not just for the competition but for the team, or state in this case, bonding.  If a kid goes on this trip solo, they will be missing out.

5) Regarding the routines, each coach is different.  The ISWA tries to ensure Indiana has the best staff available each and every year.  More times than not these are high quality coaches who have shown, whether through volunteering or building an elite program at home, that they are capable of coaching on this level.  For example, Coach Fleeger from Purdue and Coach Tonte are both solid coaches, who have proven success.  Both however may have different philosophies, techniques, warm-ups, approaches, etc.  This doesn't make either one right or wrong, just different.  Just as there is no constant in wrestling technically, the same goes for coaching and preparation.  So when a kid has a different routine to prepare - it should be nothing major.  Oftentimes it can be a good thing expanding a kids horizons.  We are talking about some of Indiana's best coaches.  It's not like the athlete is micromanaged either.  They have plenty of time to do their own thing and prepare for a match.  Also, if/when said athlete gets the opportunity to wrestle in college, or on the senior level, their preparation will undoubtedly be different than that of h.s. as well.  Different is not a bad thing.

6) As a state, I'm certain if more of our kids competed in Freestyle and Greco, if it was a priority, then we would do better than what we are doing now.  This way, with raised expectations, we aren't looking for just All-Americans but National Champions. With wrestling back in the Olympics, it's time for us to make it more of a priority.  Look at Micic's success, or Sliga, Tsirtsis, Escobedo, etc.  Even Pico got out of h.s. wrestling because he wants to be the best in the world, not just the U.S.  Freestyle and Greco are key and I'm glad this video was produced and getting more attention on this board.  As coaches, we can impress the Olympic styles importance until we are blue in the face, but when some of the country's best advocate for it - it helps the cause that much more. 

Here is to a great rest of the h.s. season and an even better summer advancing as a state in the Olympic styles!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.