I know Union County is 7-0 so far.

Round 1: union over Forrest park 80-0

Round 2: union over south spencer 67-12

Round 3: union over Louisville trinity 59-9

Round 4: union over north posey 78-6

Round 5: union over Evansville Reitz 53-18

Round 6: union over Evansville harrison 72-9

Round 7: union over south ridge 54-24. Results from twitter @uc_wrestling

Who did Davis from Reitz wrestle from UC? 

overall opinions:

Union co. KY is solid everywhere and has some very strong lower weights. brock ervin and every other ervin born is a stud. memorial is very tough at the upper weights, scrappy in the middle but very inexperienced at the light weights. southridge's heavyweight is very good. reitz is very very down; their 113 doesnt look nearly as dominate in person.

final impression: outside of MD, the SIAC is very down. Reitz is, frankly, borderline bad and memorial's team is scrappy but not something to write home about.

union co. 59 - reitz 16?

union co. beats mhs by about 15 to win tournament.

memorial 51 - reitz 24

18-4. Blackwell cut him 4 time

yeah, i read that and was confused. i thought i remembered the match wasn't competitive at all and blackwell dominated the reitz 132.

reitz truly was flat out average/bad at every weight outside of 113.

yeah, i read that and was confused. i thought i remembered the match wasn't competitive at all and blackwell dominated the reitz 132.

Reitz has some holes but give those kids and the other kids in the gym some credit.  Memorial looks like the team to beat from top to bottom in the Castle Sectional. Mater Dei is the crown jewel of wrestling right now other than a stacked PM. The 132 final wasn't 18-4 I think it was 16-6 but Blackwell did cut him every time but one if I remember right. The 3rd period was where it really came apart for the Reitz kid. I think there were 2 takedowns on desperation shots that were cut and then the final one before the time ran out. The first 1 1/2 periods were way more competitive.  Blackwell is no slouch though and he proved it last year by beating Cash pretty handedly as well. He is tough as nails like the entire Ervin family. Union County has a great tradition. For Mater Dei to dismantle them the way they did earlier this week just shows what kind of team that west side school is building.

Easy does it folks. Blackwell dominates many wrestlers. He dominated and pinned Mater Deis 132 as well but that doesn't mean either of those kids are flat out bad. Both the 132 kids from MD and RH are very good wrestlers with one loss to their resume. And both lost to the same opponent. Blackwell is a tough matchup for 99% of the people he wrestles regardless of what state he wrestles in. Union County is a very respectable program and they produce some great wrestlers every year.

union county is seriously very good. like top 5-13 in indiana good as a team.  they have a couple D1 talent guys in that lineup, memorial is the team to beat in that sectional right now, but, overall, the regional is weaker than usual. MD is on an entirely different level in most weight classes. i was a bit harsh on reitz, but they really didnt show up against memorial in that dual at all.. both memorial and reitz are young, how they place in the independent sectional will probably be closer than that dual. just from watching the 10way, i think reitz may be incurably weak mentally this year (they have no leader)...this tourney showed that the big boys down south were MD and Memorial

Blackwell has a full ride to Oklahoma I hear.. and I just heard there was a 10 point difference and like 6-8 points were scored in 3rd for Blackwell. Davis went 8-1 for the weekend with 7 pins and a major. He beat undefeated mitch Anderson last weekend. He is a a 2x state qualifier. I don't think one bad match defines him against an opponent at that level.

union county is seriously very good. like top 5-13 in indiana good as a team.  they have a couple D1 talent guys in that lineup, memorial is the team to beat in that sectional right now, but, overall, the regional is weaker than usual. MD is on an entirely different level in most weight classes. i was a bit harsh on reitz, but they really didnt show up against memorial in that dual at all.. both memorial and reitz are young, how they place in the independent sectional will probably be closer than that dual. just from watching the 10way, i think reitz may be incurably weak mentally this year (they have no leader)...this tourney showed that the big boys down south were MD and Memorial

I remember when MD was down some people were questioning their program and their coach. That was less than 12 months ago. When programs have down years its easy to forget the years they were good. Reitz had 2 champs this weekend. 113 and 152. I'm sure they would have loved to won more but top to bottom every kid from every program in that gym wrestled hard. I appreciate that from kids of today's age of Xbox and iPhone. Memorial is definitely the Castle Sectional favorite but there are going to be some very good individual matches.

Johaan, great job insulting a group of kids. From your comments I can tell you have a stellar personality.  Mentally weak huh, was the 195 mentally weak when the Trinity kid head butted him in the mouth and ended his season. Or the 126 that continued to wrestle after his shoulder was dislocated and win his match. You need to watch what and how you speak about wrestling kids, Reitz or otherwise. Every kid on the mat today sacrificed to be there, good, bad or indifferent. My hats off to every single wrestler there today, including your kid. Next time try pointing out the good instead of dwelling on the bad. I guess whatever it takes for you to feel better about yourself.

Its all reltive. Mater dei wins sectional saic and regional in a down year. A down year for reitz and they cannot compete

Congratulations on being a very classless spokesperson for a very proud wrestling school.  It pains me to think there are adults in this world with such disdain for other kids from the same community.  We know Mater Dei is a great program. I celebrate their program as much as I do all the other SIAC schools. Good grief man people compliment and praise your schools program and kids and you still insult them. Merry Christmas, Indy,  Perhaps Santa will bring you some humility.

Congratulations on being a very classless spokesperson for a very proud wrestling school.  It pains me to think there are adults in this world with such disdain for other kids from the same community.  We know Mater Dei is a great program. I celebrate their program as much as I do all the other SIAC schools. Good grief man people compliment and praise your schools program and kids and you still insult them. Merry Christmas, Indy,  Perhaps Santa will bring you some humility.

Nail on the head. Full of himself. Not very Christian.  That is all.

I am pretty sure all the teams in the SIAC are.down this year, and yes that includes Mater.Dei

State wide wrestling is a bit down after the incredible talent we have seen over the last 5 years or so.  That's the natural flow to things but there are some real tough young kids that will take their lumps and I see a VERY bright. Future for the SIAC teams. 

So....

Back to something less controversial.

The championship dual was memorial and UC?  Anyone have the details?

Depth wise,  the siac may be down a smidgen.  On high and upper-end talent the siac is up.  I will bet that more siac kids go to state in 2014 than in 2013.

I am pretty sure all the teams in the SIAC are.down this year, and yes that includes Mater.Dei

State wide wrestling is a bit down after the incredible talent we have seen over the last 5 years or so.  That's the natural flow to things but there are some real tough young kids that will take their lumps and I see a VERY bright. Future for the SIAC teams.

What leads you to believe MD is down this year?  Is Central down?  Reitz may be down, but Ferguson is a stud and Davis is very good.  Castle has a good young group of wrestlers and Memorial is probably as good as they have been in recent years. Wrestling in Indiana is as god as it has been in years, just look at the number of nationally ranked wrestlers.  Micic is ranked #2 and while most think he is a lock to win another title I'm not so sure.  Forte, Lecount, James, Nick Lee, Corsaro, there are tons of Indiana studs.  This is not a down year in Indiana.  Just ask Union County if you don't believe me

What leads you to believe MD is down this year?  Is Central down?  Reitz may be down, but Ferguson is a stud and Davis is very good.  Castle has a good young group of wrestlers and Memorial is probably as good as they have been in recent years. Wrestling in Indiana is as god as it has been in years, just look at the number of nationally ranked wrestlers.  Micic is ranked #2 and while most think he is a lock to win another title I'm not so sure.  Forte, Lecount, James, Nick Lee, Corsaro, there are tons of Indiana studs.  This is not a down year in Indiana.  Just ask Union County if you don't believe me

Very simple actually, state wide, let's look at the number of SURE thing college prospects.  You mention some really great names there and I agree they stand a great chance at taking of to the next level, but let's look at  2 to 3 hears ago by comparison. 

As for Mater Dei, I am sorry but they are down.  Union County has a great program and tradition, but let's be really honest here, from about 152?160 and up they are not as good as they are below that.  Mater Dei is suspect in that same range.  Just more experience. 

What I am saying is this, if you took the kids from Mates Dei at their current weights, and took them back in time 5 years back, do you think they would be starters?  Example, the Lee kid from Mater Dei is an exceptional talent, bit do you REALLY think he would have beaten Luke Welch or Wedding from Memorial?  I have serious doubts he would.  Would  Mates Dei's current 160 have started in front of John Sims?  I seriously doubt it. 

The competition is just down across the board at the moment. Make no mistake it will be back up and raging soon, its just the natural order of things.

Very simple actually, state wide, let's look at the number of SURE thing college prospects.  You mention some really great names there and I agree they stand a great chance at taking of to the next level, but let's look at  2 to 3 hears ago by comparison. 

As for Mater Dei, I am sorry but they are down.  Union County has a great program and tradition, but let's be really honest here, from about 152?160 and up they are not as good as they are below that.  Mater Dei is suspect in that same range.  Just more experience. 

What I am saying is this, if you took the kids from Mates Dei at their current weights, and took them back in time 5 years back, do you think they would be starters?  Example, the Lee kid from Mater Dei is an exceptional talent, bit do you REALLY think he would have beaten Luke Welch or Wedding from Memorial?  I have serious doubts he would.  Would  Mates Dei's current 160 have started in front of John Sims?  I seriously doubt it. 

The competition is just down across the board at the moment. Make no mistake it will be back up and raging soon, its just the natural order of things.

SURE thing college prospect?  What is that? 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.