Why should we wrestle freestyle?

TripleB

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Name a list of people who had average NCAA careers (never AA'd)  that went on to compete internationally...I can think of 2, 3 if I include people i know from other states.

there will always be outliers (Cejudo) But your focused on making the MAJORITY of kids do something that in the grand scheme of their lives is not important.

From that being said...Did you compete internationally after your college\highschool career?

Name a list of people who had average NCAA careers (never AA'd)  that went on to compete internationally...I can think of 2, 3 if I include people i know from other states.

there will always be outliers (Cejudo) But your focused on making the MAJORITY of kids do something that in the grand scheme of their lives is not important.

From that being said...Did you compete internationally after your college\highschool career?

You aren't going to do folkstyle after college either, so why do it at all? Your argument that kids aren't going to do freestyle after high school or college is fruitless when you don't do either state after the said times.

Its not the same though freestyle in the last 10 yeasr made SWEEPING CHANGES i.e. 3 periods, pushout rule, continuous guts and leg laces going back and forth,  the clinch has changed multiple times...in general the scores and rules of a folkstyle match stayed the same.

How many rule changes have there been in the last 10 years in folkstyle? What about the awesome rule of where you have to put the hand on the stomach first then the elbow? Or what is defined as a suitable undergarment? Or how a forfeit is not a match now? Way more rule modifications over the past 10 years in folkstyle.

Thats the issue with freestyle/greco you cant get the casual fan because its too complex. Calling them stupid for not getting it doesnt solve anything. You want numbers to increase get the casuals on board.

Freestyle is not that complex at all. You are just too stubborn to realize it.

Take a 7 year old who has never wrestled or been around the sport and in the first two months you spend equal time showing moves and explaining idiotic things such as locking hands.  Try telling me that describing locking hands to a green wrestler is difficult, please. Then you have to explain that they much put their foot on a magic line or risk penalty. Or that they can't do a full nelson or how their hand must be 90 degrees on a wing.  Or how about lets get into how to properly line up in referee's position.  There are way more rules in folkstyle and many are very confusing to people not in the sport already.

HOW DARE YOU! THATS WHY WRESTLING IS DYING!  ::)

I started wrestling as it was something for my hyperactive ADHD self to do. I had one goal win a state title and be apart of a state chamionship team.  I didn't accomplish any of those goals but I was fortunate enough to earn a decent scholarship to wrestle in college. By my RS senior year I lost the love of competing I had whilst in high school maybe I got burned out i dunno. I would consider my case average or above average at best. Can we agree?  I was ready for the next stage of my life. Nothing wrong with that...people still competed in University Nationals/Worlds/US Open whatever. Its not a coincidence that it was the same kids who would tavel across the country in thier youth.

Times have changed and people are realizing that only the upper echelon are willing to "pay the price" for success. No one pays for the average wrestler to fly to the US Open or Dave Schultz Memorial to compete. All that money comes out of your pocket. People dont want to deal with that so they retire. Maybe they coach, maybe they never put shoes on again they choose to not compete. Freestyle will never get the "Mainstream appeal" you so desperatly desire until it is instituted at the scholastic level. If you dont want to get behind that thought process thats fine but its a simple concept.

Thats why teams are bringing in clinicians or going to folkstyle tournaments they want to work on the style that will most benefit their goals. (Which ask any highschool level kid and their answer will be "Win a State Title") So to say I need to stop and show them 3-4 weeks of Freestyle/greco for one average tournement (and one good tournement if they are good enough) is ludacris to me. I could work with them on a style that is 100% related to their goal as opposed to 75%.

A majority if not all IHSAA State champs will compete at freestyle state. Because the competition is there, How many local tournament did they go to? Probably not many because its essentially a waste of their time.

I understand that on hear I am a vocal minority but apprently what FILA/USAW/ISWA are doing isnt working for boosting numbers in those styles the numbers show it. Until there is scholastic freestyle and greco this is how things will be.

Joe I challenge you to make the Indiana Mat Preseason Open a freestyle tournament and see how it affects numbers.

HOW DARE YOU! THATS WHY WRESTLING IS DYING!  ::)

I started wrestling as it was something for my hyperactive ADHD self to do. I had one goal win a state title and be apart of a state chamionship team.  I didn't accomplish any of those goals but I was fortunate enough to earn a decent scholarship to wrestle in college. By my RS senior year I lost the love of competing I had whilst in high school maybe I got burned out i dunno. I would consider my case average or above average at best. Can we agree?  I was ready for the next stage of my life. Nothing wrong with that...people still competed in University Nationals/Worlds/US Open whatever. Its not a coincidence that it was the same kids who would tavel across the country in thier youth.

Times have changed and people are realizing that only the upper echelon are willing to "pay the price" for success. No one pays for the average wrestler to fly to the US Open or Dave Schultz Memorial to compete. All that money comes out of your pocket. People dont want to deal with that so they retire. Maybe they coach, maybe they never put shoes on again they choose to not compete. Freestyle will never get the "Mainstream appeal" you so desperatly desire until it is instituted at the scholastic level. If you dont want to get behind that thought process thats fine but its a simple concept.

Thats why teams are bringing in clinicians or going to folkstyle tournaments they want to work on the style that will most benefit their goals. (Which ask any highschool level kid and their answer will be "Win a State Title") So to say I need to stop and show them 3-4 weeks of Freestyle/greco for one average tournement (and one good tournement if they are good enough) is ludacris to me. I could work with them on a style that is 100% related to their goal as opposed to 75%.

A majority if not all IHSAA State champs will compete at freestyle state. Because the competition is there, How many local tournament did they go to? Probably not many because its essentially a waste of their time.

I understand that on hear I am a vocal minority but apprently what FILA/USAW/ISWA are doing isnt working for boosting numbers in those styles the numbers show it. Until there is scholastic freestyle and greco this is how things will be.

Joe I challenge you to make the Indiana Mat Preseason Open a freestyle tournament and see how it affects numbers.

But you aren't wrestling folkstyle past college, why should you do it at all? There are no world championships of folkstyle and very little folkstyle wrestling after college.  Why should you wrestle folkstyle if it isn't going to do you any good past high school for most and college for everyone else.

The IHPO will become a freestyle tournament when it becomes a qualifier for Fargo or any other big freestyle event.  For some odd reason I do not believe the Super 32 organizers would allow it to be a freestyle event.

Then get them to change to freestyle for the better of wrestling in the country...make freestyle worthwhile for the majority of wrestlers and it becomes relevent again. And I'll be honest freestyle isnt going anywhere if its out in 2020 there will still be wrestling but if you want the local freestyle tournaments to be better attended their has to be a reason for wrestlers to stay and compete in the different style. Otherwise it will remain second fiddle as kids travel farther to wrestle in a style more relevent to them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.