Alternates

KyleM

If you know at regionals that your wrestler is not going to be competing the next weekend at semi state, why can't you do the right thing and give the alternate a chance to wrestle.. Instead of injury defaulting. Terrible and such an unclassy move.

If you know at regionals that your wrestler is not going to be competing the next weekend at semi state, why can't you do the right thing and give the alternate a chance to wrestle.. Instead of injury defaulting. Terrible and such an unclassy move.

No kidding, at Merrillville there were a couple of those. I

Can't believe at 132 Torres from Portage did not notify of have an alternate

Lined up if they knew their guy was out. These coaches or teams should be

Penalized.

i can see where a wrestler might be in a wait and see type of situation, but if that is the case, they should know by weigh ins.  the alternate wrestler should at least be made aware that they might have a chance to go.

This wasn't a wait and see situation. They knew in last weeks semi finals when he went to the hospital after getting hurt.

Doesn't the new team state scoring system somewhat encourage this type of thing?  I know it is kind of an isolated situation, but say the alternate would be representing a school that you are competing with for a team state spot.  It would work to your advantage to not notify the alternate.

Portage 132 Julian Torres did not wrestle and I think we all expected that based on how severe his injury seemed at the Calumet Regional. I know Hobart Senior Alex Metz placed 5th and would have been the alternate. I know that it is unlikely that he would have advanced to state but I think he would have liked to have the experience of wrestling at Semi State. The question is, if Torres was not going to wrestle why wasn't the Hobart coaching staff made aware of this so they could have Metz at weigh-ins?

Portage 132 Julian Torres did not wrestle and I think we all expected that based on how severe his injury seemed at the Calumet Regional. I know Hobart Senior Alex Metz placed 5th and would have been the alternate. I know that it is unlikely that he would have advanced to state but I think he would have liked to have the experience of wrestling at Semi State. The question is, if Torres was not going to wrestle why wasn't the Hobart coaching staff made aware of this so they could have Metz at weigh-ins?

YES!

This kid was hurt and the 5th place school was told the kid would try to wrestle.  Throwing in the towel is not trying to wrestle.  Totally unethical and unacceptable IMHO.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.